Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Try and guess how many people died by firearms in during the 20th century ... two world wars, the Bolshevic Revolution, the Chinese revolution, Vietnam, the Middle East, Kampuchia, many civil wars that were pretty much never ending.
The 20th Century would have seen 200-250 million die and mostly by some sort of firearms.
How about the Napoleonic period? ... colonial expansion? ...Seven years (world) War ...European civil wars and revolutions? The Reformation? ...You're into the hundreds of millions.
In all of those periods, starvation and disease killed far more than firearms. War is not an efficient method of population reduction.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Guns, nor cars have ever killed anyone.....It's the dummies operating them that did.

Switzerland has guns, but they seem to be responsible gun owners.....unlike many of our neighbors south of us. Parts of Canada seem to be getting that same American attitude.....Pity

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Guns, nor cars have ever killed anyone.....It's the dummies operating them that did.
Switzerland has guns, but they seem to be responsible gun owners.....unlike many of our neighbors south of us. Parts of Canada seem to be getting that same American attitude.....Pity
Then we need far more guns around, don't we?

We have a massive gun gap in this country. Not one kindergarten teacher is packing, here. We have a lot of catching up to do.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
A few people, cleverer and more perceptive than most, have observed that Switzerland's compulsory service (basically the criterion for owning a gun) serves as an extended "background check" on the character and fitness of the individual to own a gun. As well as teaching him how to use (or not use it) responsibly.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
A few people, cleverer and more perceptive than most, have observed that Switzerland's compulsory service (basically the criterion for owning a gun) serves as an extended "background check" on the character and fitness of the individual to own a gun. As well as teaching him how to use (or not use it) responsibly.

Better said than I could have at this time of morning.

So question: if all these other countries with lots and lots o guns have people who don't seem to go backshyte crazy with them have, as a common denominator, that their people are trained somehow with them... why aren't the gun people pushing back with everyone needing gun training/handling/maintenance before they can own a gun? I mean, it's what them other countries are doin?

(oh, I also think military service of some kind should be something everyone has to have, though whether actual military when of age or a teen version like a cadet core, doesn't matter, and such training would allow for weapon ownership, but that's another topic I guess)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

So question: if all these other countries with lots and lots o guns have people who don't seem to go backshyte crazy with them have, as a common denominator, that their people are trained somehow with them... why aren't the gun people pushing back with everyone needing gun training/handling/maintenance before they can own a gun? I mean, it's what them other countries are doin?

(oh, I also think military service of some kind should be something everyone has to have, though whether actual military when of age or a teen version like a cadet core, doesn't matter, and such training would allow for weapon ownership, but that's another topic I guess)
We have in Canada, It's called an FAC....you even need it to buy ammunition

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Gun violence kills 30,000 each year in the US
Medical mistakes kill 250,000 each year
Get that vaccine!

Measles Outbreak Traced to Fully Vaccinated Patient for First Time

A person fully vaccinated against measles has contracted the disease and passed it on to others. The startling case study contradicts received wisdom about the vaccine and suggests that a recent swell of measles outbreaks in developed nations could mean more illnesses even among the vaccinated.

That’s why a fully vaccinated 22-year-old theater employee in New York City who developed the measles in 2011 was released without hospitalization or quarantine.

But like Typhoid Mary, this patient turned out to be unwittingly contagious. Ultimately, she transmitted the measles to four other people, according to a recent report in Clinical Infectious Diseases that tracked symptoms in the 88 people with whom “Measles Mary” interacted while she was sick.

Surprisingly, two of the secondary patients had been fully vaccinated. And although the other two had no record of receiving the vaccine, they both showed signs of previous measles exposure that should have conferred immunity.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/04/measles-outbreak-traced-fully-vaccinated-patient-first-time

Gee, who needs an illegal gun when you want to take money from people money when you can use a legal syringe?

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Now we are starting to get sensible responses!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

I disagree. While I certainly approve of making it widely available, and encouraging it, there's the little problem of. . .

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."
U.S. Const., Amdt. XIII, sec. 1.

And having served myself, I'd rather have a blank file on my flank than some idiot nursing a "conscript" syndrome.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I fully agree...…………………...for a week or two, any more and other valuable services will pay a price. Important as it is there are others more important like law enforcement, paramedics, fire suppression, counsellors for disturbed youths, etc. etc.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
and no measures have ever been taken to prevent those attacks?
all sorts of laws have been put forward to address that threat,
Writing laws is totally irrelevant if you do not enforce them. If the already existing repressive gun laws were enforced there would be no more criminals with handguns and the rest of us would be mostly left alone.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Writing laws is totally irrelevant if you do not enforce them. If the already existing repressive gun laws were enforced there would be no more criminals with handguns and the rest of us would be mostly left alone.

Yep, they should pass a law that says every new law enacted should automatically knock three old ones off the books!

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
In 2016, 1898 people died in car accidents.

I'm sending the cops to get yours.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And can you just PICTURE the look on his face.................

if cops CHARGED HIM with unsafe storage of a car...........

if the stolen car later got used in a crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That is a whole different and interesting topic. TB is right although there are some major differences between Switzerland and NA. Switzerland is the size of a small island with a national identity that goes back around a thousand years. WE have no national identity, relatively new , large numbers of immigrants and a vast area. SO I guess the question is would the Switzerland model work on a large scale?

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Try and guess how many people died by firearms in during the 20th century ... two world wars, the Bolshevic Revolution, the Chinese revolution, Vietnam, the Middle East, Kampuchia, many civil wars that were pretty much never ending.

The 20th Century would have seen 200-250 million die and mostly by some sort of firearms.

How about the Napoleonic period? ... colonial expansion? ...Seven years (world) War ...European civil wars and revolutions? The Reformation? ...You're into the hundreds of millions.

Robert Heinlein - the famous Sci fi writer- and former OFFICER in Yankee naval Intelligence.......................

has written about that issue of population growth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heinlein has offered valid statistics to indicate that EVEN DURING ww2 OUR POPULATION GREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given some of the views Heinlein expressed about ENDING the idea of sex being only for procreation..........................

and his belief that the nuclear family was the enemy of human survival since it encouraged procreation........................

and considering he believed that a new modern society - that had a GOOD CHANCE TO SURVIVE....................................

would see sex AS ONLY FOR RECREATION...........................

one wonders what manner of Think Tank future projections and predictions he was exposed to???????????????????

During his time at Naval Intelligence?????????????????????????

Heinlein must have been a REAL NOVELTY at 1950`s cocktail parties - get a few drinks in him and he starts talking about free love

and indiscriminate sex as a way to limit the wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I disagree. While I certainly approve of making it widely available, and encouraging it, there's the little problem of. . .
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."
U.S. Const., Amdt. XIII, sec. 1.
And having served myself, I'd rather have a blank file on my flank than some idiot nursing a "conscript" syndrome.
I get your point on active duty in a war zone but how about for support staff? There are thousands of jobs that don't require one to pack a gun.