U.S. lawmakers introduce bill to leave NAFTA

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

U.S. lawmakers introduce bill to leave NAFTA - CTV News

How much is directed at Mexico and how much at Canada's Auto Makers ?

I met with a friend of mine and they are closing his Div of a US based company as of this week to move it State side. Are we better off without free trade and NAFTA ourselves on the Canada side.

Your thoughts ?
I think it'll get exactly nowhere. But if it does pass, then it'd be a good time for Canadians to start diversifying interests into other countries. (Shouldn't have all eggs in the same basket sort of idea, you know).

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Americans think, we get everything cheap from China, and we have no trade deal with them. Why can't we do this with other countries?

Globalization, i.e., outsourcing jobs, has never been politically popular, but the elites have always been able to pay off lawmakers to enforce their will. Business went overboard in outsourcing, and too many US laws encourage it.

Wow. populism with a vengeance. NAFTA is not dead, but it took a body blow here. The media has always portrayed Canadians who want out of NAFTA as luddites. This will get traction.

Northboy

Electoral Member

U.S. lawmakers introduce bill to leave NAFTA - CTV News

How much is directed at Mexico and how much at Canada's Auto Makers ?

I met with a friend of mine and they are closing his Div of a US based company as of this week to move it State side. Are we better off without free trade and NAFTA ourselves on the Canada side.

Your thoughts ?

Why not just a discussion of differences in the proper manner, including cross border economic development technology, including a coordinated JIT strategy.

The trains should be asked to stop at every population point in their travels. I understand the disruption, but certain logistics is the veins that small business thrives on. Here's the concept, Douglas put forward the idea that cash circulation and how it circulation affected the modern economy. He has been proven correct over the test of time. Agreed? "Practical Christianity" or his pursuit of it, made him realize cash sitting idle was a form of "tax" on society....We have learned that lesson.

Always remember: A Man Shall Not Toil in Vain. is a spiritual Law meant for Bankers.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I thought the lair Obama told harper that NAFTA wouldn't be touched

The bill, which is spearheaded by Rep. Gene Taylor, a Democrat from Mississippi, would require President Barack Obama to give Canada and Mexico six-months notice that the U.S. will no longer be a part of NAFTA.

I think, right about now, Obama's crew aren't being properly rebuked and reined in. Perhaps Harper could give a lesson in getting unruly members to toe the line?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And even if it did could it survive a presidential veto?
Do you really think any state has the balls to tell David Rockefeller his NAFTA idea stinks and they want out? How long do you think that state would have all it's loans from King David called in?

I suppose none of you heard what happened in Illinois?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Do you really think any state has the balls to tell David Rockefeller his NAFTA idea stinks and they want out? How long do you think that state would have all it's loans from King David called in?

I suppose none of you heard what happened in Illinois?

Obama quit the senate to be Prez?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Obama quit the senate to be Prez?
News) Chicago - At a press conference Monday morning, Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich (D) said his administration would suspend doing business with Bank of America if credit wasn't reinstated to Republic Windows & Doors, a Chicago North Side business which closed down after its financing was suspended by the bank.
Gov. Blagojevich said the State has hundreds of millions in dealings with Bank of America and that it got taxpayer money from Washington but overlooked those same taxpayers when they were in trouble.
By 6AM the next morning the Gov's house was stormed and he was implicated in some malarky scandal and out of work.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Shades of Al Capone!....
Ahhhhhhh yes!

Behind every gangster and every drug dealer is a banker that launders their cash. Can the gangster or drug dealer exist without the banker? No. So that would mean the bankers are really the gang leaders and the cartel heads would it not?

Would you try to defy one of the worlds biggest mob and drug kingpin's plan of a North American Union set off by FTA GAT and NAFTA??

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I thought the lair Obama told harper that NAFTA wouldn't be touched

I assume you mean liar. The US president has veto power over anything passed by the US Congress. If Obama doesn't want such a bill to become law it won't become law.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Alternative energy will kill the dependency on oil for the Americans so Harpers bargaining chip will be lost.

The global economy exercise has run its course and has failed.

There is massive unemployment in countries where manufacturing has gone to poorer countries.

Since Canada major businesses are foreign owned a lot of jobs disappeared to other countries because of tariffs don’t apply on the free trade agreements.

Before free trade agreements the system that we had worked very well and there was more work around and we had more skilled labour as well.

The tariff system protected jobs and kept everything on a level playing field.

America has finally got it when you export jobs to other countries so that products can be made more cheaply and sold back to the original countries at a lower price eventually the original country won’t be able to afford it because of massive unemployment.

Countries depend on jobs to fund pensions and lifestyles.

Free trade has created more, lower paying jobs than the higher paying jobs that were lost.

When the free trade dies and tariffs are put back that’s when job opportunities will come back to this country because people still want to buy products and services.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Alternative energy will kill the dependency on oil for the Americans so Harpers bargaining chip will be lost.

The global economy exercise has run its course and has failed.

There is massive unemployment in countries where manufacturing has gone to poorer countries.

Since Canada major businesses are foreign owned a lot of jobs disappeared to other countries because of tariffs don’t apply on the free trade agreements.

Before free trade agreements the system that we had worked very well and there was more work around and we had more skilled labour as well.

The tariff system protected jobs and kept everything on a level playing field.

America has finally got it when you export jobs to other countries so that products can be made more cheaply and sold back to the original countries at a lower price eventually the original country won’t be able to afford it because of massive unemployment.

Countries depend on jobs to fund pensions and lifestyles.

Free trade has created more, lower paying jobs than the higher paying jobs that were lost.

When the free trade dies and tariffs are put back that’s when job opportunities will come back to this country because people still want to buy products and services.

1. That sounds like a firewall built around the entire country.

2. A country with a small population like Canada will be deprived of many goods if you build that firewall. Why? Because there isn't enough market to justify building everything within the country. A company has to make profit or they won't continue in business. Volume is part of that profit equation, unless of course you want to have everyone paying the (higher) price for small volume production.

3. Opening up new markets with trade agreements gives Canadian companies a chance to grow their businesses, collectively produce wider varieties of products, and thus offer all customers - domestic and otherwise - a wider choice. At a lower price, when you factor in economies of scale with higher volumes produced.

4. Your statements appear to be based on the assumption that the only variable element in competitive marketing is price. That is incorrect unless you're talking about commodity items such as potatoes. Even then, they can be differentiated to some degree...organic, yellow flesh, etc.

There's more, but hopefully that's enough to get some real thinking started...

Topaz72

Mar 11, 2010
At one time, anything you bought for your home was manufactures in Canada, now its gone to the US, then to Mexico, China, and Third World countries. When the government got rid of "You want to sell here, built here" manufacturing went down the tubes and the US is now experienceing this too with high unemploymment. This global Free Trad eis only good for the CEO's and shareholders not for workers.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Americans think, we get everything cheap from China, and we have no trade deal with them. Why can't we do this with other countries?

Globalization, i.e., outsourcing jobs, has never been politically popular, but the elites have always been able to pay off lawmakers to enforce their will. Business went overboard in outsourcing, and too many US laws encourage it.

Wow. populism with a vengeance. NAFTA is not dead, but it took a body blow here. The media has always portrayed Canadians who want out of NAFTA as luddites. This will get traction.

I support NAFTA in principle, but only if both sides respect it. US access to Canadian resources comes with a price. That is to allow Canadians access to US markets. If we can't get equal access to their markets, they should not get equal access to Canadian resources. The Americans can get in line with China, Japan, India...

Reactions: CDNBear