Haitian airport backlog- what's your suggestion?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That airport has one runway, with only one taxiway from the runway to the terminal, and extremely limited space at the terminal, judging from that aerial pic. No plane could land until the previous one has landed AND taxied all the way to the terminal, and even so, there's only room for what, 10 jets of any size at one time? No wonder things are backed up...they need to utilize a staging ground somewhere else to have the aircraft wait until they can schedule time to get in.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"The French minister in charge of humanitarian relief called on the UN to "clarify" the American role amid claims the military build up was hampering aid efforts.Alain Joyandet admitted he had been involved in a scuffle with a US commander in the airport's control tower over the flight plan for a French evacuation flight.
"This is about helping Haiti, not about occupying Haiti," Mr Joyandet said.
Geneva-based charity Medecins Sans Frontieres backed his calls saying hundreds of lives were being put at risk as planes carrying vital medical supplies were being turned away by American air traffic controllers.
But US commanders insisted their forces' focus was on humanitarian work and last night agreed to prioritise aid arrivals to the airport over military flights, after the intervention of the UN.
The diplomatic row came amid heightened frustrations that hundreds of tons of aid was still not getting through. Charities reported violence was also worsening as desperate Haitians took matters into their own hands."

US accused of 'occupying' Haiti as troops flood in - Telegraph

Nicolas Sarkozy has moved to defuse a potentially embarrassing row with the US over claims that France is being sidelined in the aid effort in Haiti. The French president's office praised the US's "exceptional mobilisation" and its "essential role... on the ground".

Sarkozy put his loud mouth minister in his place.
BBC News - Sarkozy quells Haiti rift with US

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That airport has one runway, with only one taxiway from the runway to the terminal, and extremely limited space at the terminal, judging from that aerial pic. No plane could land until the previous one has landed AND taxied all the way to the terminal, and even so, there's only room for what, 10 jets of any size at one time? No wonder things are backed up...they need to utilize a staging ground somewhere else to have the aircraft wait until they can schedule time to get in.
How about Cuba?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Nicolas Sarkozy has moved to defuse a potentially embarrassing row with the US over claims that France is being sidelined in the aid effort in Haiti. The French president's office praised the US's "exceptional mobilisation" and its "essential role... on the ground".

Sarkozy put his loud mouth minister in his place.
BBC News - Sarkozy quells Haiti rift with US
Does this mean the term 'freedom fries' is going to be sidelined?
Was the original complaint over a field hospital being more important than a few more security troops?
"agreed to prioritise aid arrivals to the airport over military flights, after the intervention of the UN"

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Dominican Republic has 9 international airports and one military airfield. If even a few can handle big jets - and relations between them and Haiti aren't shaky - ground transport might be arranged

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are ****loads of "recycling barges" running between Florida and Puerto Rico.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
This isn't a thread dedicated to hate. This thread is supposed to be an open discussion on the issue regarding the Haitian airport. If your post does not relate to this topic than don't post it here!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Once again, you have nothing worthwhile to say. He is sending fuel, which is badly needed. What don't you understand??

I never said he wasn't helping. Perhaps you can understand that? Go look at what I did say. Did you see me objecting to what he is sending? I'm objecting to people who use a tragedy as a soap box, and I'm calling them out, asking them for their suggestions on improving the delivery of aid.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It's chiefly about how to better help the Haitians. The picture of the airport made it clear that there is very little which can be done to improve the efficiency of that airfield. The ports aren't equipped for the tonnage coming in.
That is the area where things have to be improved from, if the air-port is maxed out the only other routes are roads and the sea. Most big boats should carry little boats, the transfer will be slow but the daily tonnages would be up and it gets to the center of the damage.
Trucks and fuel, the lack of, would appear to be the bottle-neck at the moment.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"staging ground somewhere else to have the aircraft wait until they can schedule time to get in"

As Chavez has shown that politics plays a role in this disaster. Do you think that Cuba would be the best place to park planes when there are not good relations between the two countries?

Both sides would be pointing fingers at each other when the right planes were not being released. I can easily see the US asking for a certain shipment and Cuba deciding for better or worse that they would rather see another type of shipment in the que.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Let the UN handle that part then. Cuba and Haiti aren't enemies by any means. Cuba should be considered just because they are so close.
Don't start down the road that indicates the US doesn't use (foreign)politics in everything they do and say. Cuba could also solve the aid via the sea problem (as a holding facility).
I'm glad the US has dropped the suggestion that refugees could be held at Gitmo. lol

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Let the UN handle that part then. Cuba and Haiti aren't enemies by any means. Cuba should be considered just because they are so close.
Don't start down the road that indicates the US doesn't use (foreign)politics in everything they do and say. Cuba could also solve the aid via the sea problem (as a holding facility).
I'm glad the US has dropped the suggestion that refugees could be held at Gitmo. lol

You see...did I say the US wouldn't use politics? I am speaking logically and the US and Cuba do not get along. I said both countries would start pointing fingers...did I not say that? I also said Cuba could "for better or worse" decide what shipments will be shipped.

Let the UN handle it? Are you serious? The UN cannot handle a disaster. They have never been able to handle a crisis on their own. The 50 or so nations that are on the ground seem to be getting the problem under control without UN interference. What is the UN except a gathering of foreign politicians? There are about 200K dead and as a Doctor said now there are about 100K seriously injured. That is a massive disaster that nobody was ready for so it is going to take time.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
So, take advantage of the open purse while it's still open. It doesn't happen often

Oh my goodness, the open purse scenario. Sure millions will be poured into the Hatian bucket and flow out of the old stratigically and economically placed holes, none of the money but a pittance for the local sociopathic elite stays in Hati and that has made the disaster a hundredfold worse than it might otherwise have been. There is absolutely nothing to prevent the same flow this time. Look for bare subsistance as the likeliest outcome, again, and completed carnage and wholesale slaughter at the worst as hemispherical priorities are addressed. If those holes were patched Hati would become a vibrant strong independent nation beholding to none. "It dosen't happen often". It dosen't happen at all.