Gerald Stanley Not Guilty

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Really?

This is the thread to post pictures of your favorite guns?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Shift change.

Flossy is posting contrary stuff again. I think he needs a playmate. He must be an only child.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM,

I get that, but if Stanley didn't realize the occupants of the car were native, doesn't that kind of not make this incident about race? It's about a confused farmer who felt threatened and panicked is it not?

I agree completely but the ones making it racist don't understand or even care to understand about this. They probably even know they are on shaky ground and are grasping at anything that might work as an excuse. When you are trespassing, armed to the teeth and pissed to the eyeballs, would anyone expect to see a red carpet rolled out? :)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I have a question. Did Stanley even realize Boushie was native at the time of the incident? Or did he just feel threatened by a young group in a car with a weapon?

If the answer is 'no', then why is this case about race in the first place?

It never was about race until some racists tried to make it so. Basically a false flag.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
He fired 2 warning shots into the air, the 3rd shot did not fire (some news reported this as a jam, but it was not, it was a delayed fire), as he brought the weapon down it discharged and hit the kid in the head. The only thing the Farmer is "guilty" of is reckless use of a firearm. The weapon should not have been pointed "at" anyone as he brought it down. He should not have been discharging (warning shots) into the air. Where the hell did he think those rounds were going to end up when the fell? If he had handled the weapon properly, no one would have been shot when it finally did discharge.

Now, that being said, those "kids" should not have been on his property, period.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
The racism part is what has happened since the shooting.

If you think First Nations people get the same treatment from the law and the same justice from the courts you are blind.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The racism part is what has happened since the shooting.

Agreed, the amount of racism shown by "First "Nations" against "white" has been horrendous. Plus, those of First Nations heritage that have supported the White farmer have been accused by "First Nations" of lying about their heritage and called "whitey" and "apples".

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
He fired 2 warning shots into the air, the 3rd shot did not fire (some news reported this as a jam, but it was not, it was a delayed fire), as he brought the weapon down it discharged and hit the kid in the head. The only thing the Farmer is "guilty" of is reckless use of a firearm. The weapon should not have been pointed "at" anyone as he brought it down. He should not have been discharging (warning shots) into the air. Where the hell did he think those rounds were going to end up when the fell? If he had handled the weapon properly, no one would have been shot when it finally did discharge.

Now, that being said, those "kids" should not have been on his property, period.
I had one of those at the range only once to me in many years of shooting.....and the rule of keeping your firearm pointed downrange for a full minute before even attempting to manually eject the cartridge is there for a reason.....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

My understanding was that Stanley had fired the two rounds and then reached in through the driver's side window and was trying to yank the keys out of the ignition when the gun went off.

Two rules:

One, in any such situation, when the police show up, STFU.

Two, when the perps are trying to flee, let them.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am sorry that a young man lost his life and that the Stanley family lives have been turned upside down by this tragedy.

Imagine how different the outcome had the youths in the car not been thoroughly intoxicated - so much so that at least two of them were passed out, were in possession of a loaded rifle, and had already caused trouble at another farm. Had they simply been sober and in need of help with a flat tire, respectful of other's property - not trying to start an ATV and then crashing into a Stanley vehicle, who knows what might have happened. There are consequences to one's actions, sadly in this case the consequences resulted in a death.

In all the resulting hue and cry, I have yet to hear from the family of the dead man concerning where they were when the this group set out for a day of drinking, shooting off a rifle and trying to steal a vehicle? Where did the rifle the group had come from? Why were they in possession of a loaded weapon? Lost among the vitriol being spouted by the family and supporters is any sense of responsibility by them for allowing their children to act in such a reckless manner. Where is their culpability in this matter?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
What about Stanley's family? Are they not culpable in the shooting by letting their hothead father have a loaded weapon?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I am sorry that a young man lost his life and that the Stanley family lives have been turned upside down by this tragedy.

Imagine how different the outcome had the youths in the car not been thoroughly intoxicated - so much so that at least two of them were passed out, were in possession of a loaded rifle, and had already caused trouble at another farm. Had they simply been sober and in need of help with a flat tire, respectful of other's property - not trying to start an ATV and then crashing into a Stanley vehicle, who knows what might have happened. There are consequences to one's actions, sadly in this case the consequences resulted in a death.

In all the resulting hue and cry, I have yet to hear from the family of the dead man concerning where they were when the this group set out for a day of drinking, shooting off a rifle and trying to steal a vehicle? Where did the rifle the group had come from? Why were they in possession of a loaded weapon? Lost among the vitriol being spouted by the family and supporters is any sense of responsibility by them for allowing their children to act in such a reckless manner. Where is their culpability in this matter?

Neither you nor I nor anyone else on here is the lawful judge, jury nor executioner of wayward youth or anyone else. You do not have the right to kill just because you think that you do.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
what about stanley's family? Are they not culpable in the shooting by letting their hothead father have a loaded weapon?

nope

Neither you nor I nor anyone else on here is the lawful judge, jury nor executioner of wayward youth or anyone else. You do not have the right to kill just because you think that you do.

and he didn't. It was an unfortunate accident, it was preventable, but an accident non the less.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If you look back a dozen posts, you'll see photos of some idiot's beloved rifle. A few of you guys arm yourselves for just such an opportunity to kill some intruder. You are sick monsters.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
If there is anyone on this board who is not playing with a full deck, it's you. Go watch TV,

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you look back a dozen posts, you'll see photos of some idiot's beloved rifle. A few of you guys arm yourselves for just such an opportunity to kill some intruder. You are sick monsters.

I realized you are an idiot 50 posts back. For Christ sakes quit digging!

No, but some of us here do have a handle on common sense and quite often with a little thought are able to arrive at a reasonable answer! :)

What about Stanley's family? Are they not culpable in the shooting by letting their hothead father have a loaded weapon?

No one in the world is responsible for the behaviour of another adult, with a possible exceptions of someone incarcerated or in the looney bin.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016

You won’t hear those details from the family. The facts that were laid out by the group that were with Bouchie that day is a narrative that most indigenous groups, our PM, and others shouting racism do not want to talk about. It exposes many issues that go much deeper than a few innocent kids with car trouble.

No one seems to want to talk about the fact that the group started drinking that day at Bouchie’s grandmothers house. No one wants to talk about the fact that the reason they were driving on a rim without a tire is because they were all drunk out of their mind, hit a culvert and peeled the tire off the rim, or that the day's other activities... after downing a 60 pounder of crown royal and a bottle of vodka was some target practice with a rifle, or that the reason the rifle stock was later found broken was because it was used to try and break into a vehicle on a neighbouring property.

I think the indigenous community, our PM, and others who are crying racism need to look a little deeper. It’s easy to blame it all on racism. if we really want to find a solution to a very real, very complex problem, we are going to have to be honest with ourselves rather than finding scapegoats to conveniently blame all our problems on. It's going to take honesty and effort, two things that appear to be in very short supply when it comes to addressing real problems in this country.