CNN, Shocked: There Are No US Troops in Haiti!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't think it's an easy task to amass and coordinate equipment, food, water, temp shelters, etc. for people to use when they go to somewhere that has virtually nothing left. You don't want to just show up and start doing stuff. You have to eat, drink, etc. and not taking your own stuff with you just adds to the burden people already have there. Sending 10,000 people would take some bit of work. I can see why they needed to send a small city like an aircraft carrier, supply ships, etc.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In this case there should be US troops and for that matter Canadians as well
This is not about occupation of a country its about lawless gangs taking advantage
of little kids and others who need help. The infrastructure is broken down and they
need military assistance to get the supplies from the airport to people who need it.
There are times when we should but out this is not one of them. There are some who
are just plain anti American. I have harsh criticism of America in some cases too but
not all the time. I think Iraq is an example where they should have left Saddam in
power to deal with Shias and AL Qaeda. In Afghanistan they should have sent in
what ever was needed to hit them hard from the start. In this case in Haiti, they
should have deployed troops from the beginning for law and order and to help those
who need it most.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In this case there should be US troops and for that matter Canadians as well
This is not about occupation of a country its about lawless gangs taking advantage
of little kids and others who need help. The infrastructure is broken down and they
need military assistance to get the supplies from the airport to people who need it.
There are times when we should but out this is not one of them. There are some who
are just plain anti American. I have harsh criticism of America in some cases too but
not all the time. I think Iraq is an example where they should have left Saddam in
power to deal with Shias and AL Qaeda. In Afghanistan they should have sent in
what ever was needed to hit them hard from the start. In this case in Haiti, they
should have deployed troops from the beginning for law and order and to help those
who need it most.
Um, it is being done. Where you been?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I see that the Haitian government has given control of the airport to the US until things improve....that's a good option, because the US military has teams specifically for this purpose.

In times of crisis, it's nice to reach out to people who know what they are doing.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I see that the Haitian government has given control of the airport to the US until things improve....that's a good option, because the US military has teams specifically for this purpose.

In times of crisis, it's nice to reach out to people who know what they are doing.
They were the ones that opened it up for the incoming flights,they are experts at it.
Haiti's president had a message for the Americans yesterday.

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
My understanding is that the US and other countries have, since 1993, poured BILLIONS of dollars into Haiti and Haitians are now worse off then they were then. What happened to all that money??

Just askin'

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Gawd, yeah. The Yanks have been building makeshift airports, fixing damaged airports, etc. since the dawn of flight. They should know what they are doing by now. lol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My understanding is that the US and other countries have, since 1993, poured BILLIONS of dollars into Haiti and Haitians are now worse off then they were then. What happened to all that money??

Just askin'
Greedy mitts grab it and stick it into private accounts before the poor get it.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

Just askin'

Into the pockets of greedy Haitian politicians.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
China deployed rescuers with sniffer dogs within 48 hours. China, Mr. President. China: 8,000 miles distant. Miami: 700 miles close. US bases in Puerto Rico: right there.
Obama's Defense Secretary Robert Gates said, "I don't know how this government could have responded faster or more comprehensively than it has." We know Gates doesn't know.

Send in the Marines. That's America's response. That's what we're good at. The aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson finally showed up after three days. With what? It was dramatically deployed — without any emergency relief supplies. It has sidewinder missiles and 19 helicopters.
But don't worry, the International Search and Rescue Team, fully equipped and self-sufficient for up to seven days in the field, deployed immediately with ten metric tons of tools and equipment, three tons of water, tents, advanced communication equipment and water purifying capability. They're from Iceland.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Just askin'

I have no idea what happened to ALL of it, but I have some idea of what didn't happen with some of it. For a quick answer just compare the 2010 building codes in Haiti to the 1993 building codes. Anyway before two boards are nailed together I think new codes should be established.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The Hatian government was installed by the American government.

It may be time to edit content more thoroughly, this kind of chat that "darkbeaver" instigates can only can have one reply, and it has to be a directed response. His answers are either to antagonize or he has not the foggiest idea of what is happening. Thought without engaging brain is far more dangerous and antagonizing than any direct attacks. There is a names for it "Pot Stirrer", "Trouble Makers"" etc. darkbeaver your lack of knowledge is outstanding.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I have no idea what happened to ALL of it, but I have some idea of what didn't happen with some of it. For a quick answer just compare the 2010 building codes in Haiti to the 1993 building codes. Anyway before two boards are nailed together I think new codes should be established.
If rebar was $available$ to strengthen the cinder-block construction then the damage would not be as great. A poor Nation can barely afford to build the blocks.
From the pics I've seen they are going to need a lot of hydraulic-shears and rock-crushers. Be a shame if the old city was only deemed to being only useful as a very big flat parking-lot for the US military. The past would point to that solution if the US is the policy maker.
If they grow sugar-cane couldn't the fibers be used to support the cinder blocks, not as strong as steel rebar but woven into thick ropes it would add some support and it is a local product. If Haitians would allow the world could send used tires over and once stacked and tied together they are covered with motar. Hurricane proof because because they are tied together and thick (30" +) the wall might move a little but cracked plaster is not as bad as a total collapse. The rubber might help survive earthquakes also (little bouncy once the plaster cracks)

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hmmmm -

- Obama, Medvedev to discuss nuclear arms reduction treaty - WashingtonTV تلویزیون واشنگتن - Obama meets Medvedev(or Putin) to discuss Nuclear disarmament ..Before Earthquake

- Casualties of the 2010 Haiti earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - 45,000 Americans .thankfully only 33 dead ..yet Odd

- Massive Earthquake Hammers Haiti - Truthdig - last quake to hit Haiti was 1770

- Richter magnitude scale at AllExperts - 1 mega ton bomb..5 to 6 on richter scale...

If you placed a nuke in a fault line that had alot of built up pressure ..What would happen ?...

Maybe we should re-visit some more recent Earthquakes and tsunami's to look for patterns...

Enter twightlight zone music here....It sounds like a conspiracy theory to me...But like every other conspiracy theory ,you gotta ask the question ..WHY?...The U.S. are good guys...

Everythings a conspiracy when it comes to U.S.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you cnn/Anderson/Dr. Sanjay for your realism in covering Haiti ..Realism is so often censored and lost in such devastion/tradgedies ..It is hard to watch/listen/to fully grasp/accept the realities of situations such as the one that occured in Haiti .Yet it's necessary for people to comprehend the true impact of such unpredictable natural disasters/events...

I often say there is no heart or tears in a virtual eye..But many hearts shed many tears while watching your" Down to Earth "coverage of this devasting event...When the virtual eye closes on Haiti ..Let's hope and pray the kind hearts give/live on...In Peace...With Power..Into prosperity and toward a new/renewed sustainable future.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Canadians are good at Humanitarian missions/ peackeeping...We should do more of it, together with other world leaders.UN/US..America ....

Obama Dems..Helping out Haiti ..Fits in with their agenda.I just wish Canadian P.M. Harper would think the same way Nationally as he seems to be internationally.....Would be a better Canada...

Have to keep an eye on where all the charity money goes...(Millitary?)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
China deployed rescuers with sniffer dogs within 48 hours. China, Mr. President. China: 8,000 miles distant. Miami: 700 miles close. US bases in Puerto Rico: right there.

Nah, firstest with the mostest and that is what is getting you all upset. I bet it burned you to see Haitians chanting...

"USA! USA!"

...as they pulled a Haitian from the rubble.