Should Canada promote friendlier relations with Russia?

Should Canada promote friendlier relations with Russia?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What a load of bollocks. Soft-spoken? I guess, if you consider being punched in the face while being spoken to is "soft". Friendly? Maybe the average Russian citizen, but the idiots running the show? Not. Competent? Apprently building a nuclear reactor with major design flaws and installing technicians and supervisors with insufficient nuclear training is "competent". Trustworthy? Uh...no. Respectful of international law? Not really. But then they aren't the only ones. Your last sentence is amusing though. I guess Afghanistan was just a Soviet training exercise.
As for winning them efficiently, I guess using masses of troops as cannon fodder is a pretty efficient way to pare down your military.

When Harper and Putin met, who snubbed whom before the cameras. I'm not aware of Putin ever doing that. He might disagree, but does so tespectfully, showing a little class. Russia's far from perfect, but Canada isn't exactly an angel either.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
With the American Empire in speedy decline, it would make more sense for Canada to snuggle up to Russia. Our economy, being tied to the US $ means we will nose dive with them. Russia's economy is going nowhere but up. And if the Yanks decide to start Armageddon, the Russians and Chinese will wipe the floor with them. I say move to the winning side before we get wiped out too.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Who said that option is even open to us? We tied ourselves to the American hip so we can pay the price rather than act like a rat on a sinking ship.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Who said that option is even open to us? We tied ourselves to the American hip so we can pay the price rather than act like a rat on a sinking ship.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
With the American Empire in speedy decline, it would make more sense for Canada to snuggle up to Russia. Our economy, being tied to the US $ means we will nose dive with them. Russia's economy is going nowhere but up. And if the Yanks decide to start Armageddon, the Russians and Chinese will wipe the floor with them. I say move to the winning side before we get wiped out too.
Its always best to go along to get along. Have your handy wipes ready.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
We might very well be. Just another reason to not look down our noses at the Russians.

What about looking down at people who really think the US and UK are providing fleets of Toyotas to ISIS? That's asinine.

closer then you
don't get any lawn logs on ya

Canadians are not anything like Russians... not by a long shot. Not even close. Russians would even laugh at that notion.

Don't make me laugh.

Canadians are like Americans. I know that kills you but it is fact.

Look at Cliffy! Lapping at Putin's boots!

Its always best to go along to get along. Have your handy wipes ready.

These clowns from time to time get like this.

The Russians have no respect for Canada and here is Cliffy and the others wanting to be a Russian lackey.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Not friends, just friendly is fine with me. Same for any other bunch. Humans have friends. Countries are not humans. Neither are businesses.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Not friends, just friendly is fine with me. Same for any other bunch. Humans have friends. Countries are not humans. Neither are businesses.
reminds me of something one of my employers said years ago, good ole Johnny may he rest in peace, " nice guys and business are two different things"

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
To be safe from any hazards and risks and to act with wisdom: I think Canada should be non-aligned with either of the two parties: neither to Russia nor to US.
And to keep good relations with both Russia and US.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
reminds me of something one of my employers said years ago, good ole Johnny may he rest in peace, " nice guys and business are two different things"

Years ago in the forum a certain bunch would gush all over China and India. They couldn't wait for China to give them one in the britches.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
To be safe from any hazards and risks and to act with wisdom: I think Canada should be non-aligned with either of the two parties: neither to Russia nor to US.

I.e. friendly relations, not necessarily allied.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Well there's clearly two ways to go isn't there. Down with them or some other direction. As things get going with respect to Russian American relations I expect the first thing done will be to arm the American Arctic (Canada) with missile systems. If it hasn't been done already.

Do you seriously think that would make any difference to Uncle Sam? What would we do phone them up and say were not involved? We're well involved because of geography.

Ask Mexico what will happen.