Public Inquiries into Emergencies Act begin September 19

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Dix, you said "First off I'd stop calling fellow Canadians racists, bigots & White Supremists."

Considering I personally have MET Canadians who are bigots and racists - no White Supremacists yet - and HAVE called them out for their racism (one was even a co-worker) yeah, I AM going to call them out on it.

Assumptions? You show any of the above, I will call you out on it.

BTW, does your comment work the other way too? Cause I get called things like this a lot by other Canadians, too. Are you calling them out to stop saying it? Or is this a "only certain people need to stop saying these things" kind of post?
Well, I don't know about the "crowd" you hang out with... I personally know of 1 person who is a racist and (it's not towards Blacks) & I've called him out on it. Other than that, no one else that I know is a racist, a bigot or a white supremist. The people I know are honest, loving individuals who would do anything to help others out no matter what. Those are the people I "hang" with and I consider myself truly fortunate.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Well, I don't know about the "crowd" you hang out with...

My "crowd" are co-workers and/or their families. And as I said, the one co-worker who decided to be a bigot against a woman wearing a head covering, I called him out on it. Of course he was all "it was a joke" but that did not fly with me. Our work relationship has been cool since then and I'm good with that.

Outside of that, I live in a small town, you don't need a "Crowd" to know where the racists, bigots and white nationalists are. We even had one run for mayor in our recent election.

I personally know of 1 person who is a racist and (it's not towards Blacks)

There ARE other races than blacks. FFS. So you know a racist.

& I've called him out on it.

Good for you.

You now have negated your point.

Other than that, no one else that I know is a racist, a bigot or a white supremist.

That you know of. Most people DON'T advertise that stuff publicly, you know.

The people I know are honest, loving individuals who would do anything to help others out no matter what.

Sure, same as me, same as most people who then get shocked that "OMG he was NEVER racist when I was around him".

Those are the people I "hang" with and I consider myself truly fortunate.

Good for you.

Most of the people I "hang" out with are good people too.

But you know a racist, and called him out on it.

Guess you're like the rest of us who do the same thing, too. So does that make you part of the problem, or the cure?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
My "crowd" are co-workers and/or their families. And as I said, the one co-worker who decided to be a bigot against a woman wearing a head covering, I called him out on it. Of course he was all "it was a joke" but that did not fly with me. Our work relationship has been cool since then and I'm good with that.

Outside of that, I live in a small town, you don't need a "Crowd" to know where the racists, bigots and white nationalists are. We even had one run for mayor in our recent election.

There ARE other races than blacks. FFS. So you know a racist.

Good for you.

You now have negated your point.

That you know of. Most people DON'T advertise that stuff publicly, you know.

Sure, same as me, same as most people who then get shocked that "OMG he was NEVER racist when I was around him".

Good for you.

Most of the people I "hang" out with are good people too.

But you know a racist, and called him out on it.

Guess you're like the rest of us who do the same thing, too. So does that make you part of the problem, or the cure?
My my aren't we "touchy" Good grief get ahold of yourself ok?

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I called him out on it. Of course he was all "it was a joke" but that did not fly with me. Our work relationship has been cool since then and I'm good with that.
So - in other words calling him out didn't do anything. His opinion isn't changed, and now you've closed the lines of communication so there isn't even a chance to have a dialogue about it,

And it's a shame because if he's a racists and a bigot you have SO much in common :)

but all you've done is prove that if unity is what you want, calling people names like that isn't the way to get it. You need to engage with people even if you find their views distasteful and have a dialogue. Over time views can soften and change, but only if you're talking.

Instead - trudeau calls people who AREN"T bigots or misogynists those names and splits canada farther apart. Which is not helping, Or did you forget that's what the discussion was about?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We are all racists and bigots in our own ways…. Whether we admit it or not even to ourselves.

We have friends that cover the racial and sexual spectrums, but so what? I think we’re all inherently tribal in our make up and it’s how you go about addressing the rest of society around you that determines what kind of person you actually are.

I hire white and black guys and the colour spectrum in between, based on their merit, but it’s not like I’m not conscious of the complexion of their skin. I’m not foolish enough to state that, “Oh, I didn’t realize that Leroy was not Caucasian!” or other ridiculous statements like that. It’s not a big thing, but it’s not like I’m not conscious and aware. We just treat people the way we want to be treated and it seems to have worked out for the last half a century.

A male truck driver describing an argument that he had with his spouse (husband) is just another facet of life. We just want to see everybody, happy and out, raking in cash for themselves….& beyond that, so what?

We have friends across the sexual spectrum also. It’s not a big thing, but it’s not like I’m not conscious and it’s not in the back of my mind at times. Neither one of us is shopping for another partner, so who gives a rats backside?

None of us here is as wholesome as we want to believe that we are, and I’m sure even the Pope is aware of the colour spectrum of the pigmentation of the people around him, or their sexual orientation, if he’s been made aware of it, but so what?

Unless somebody is it outright arsehole to those around him or her, then it’s all just background bullshit. For those that want to use claims of racism as a club against those around them inappropriately and unwarranted…. For the handful of times that it’s happened to me (and it has), I usually flip out a picture of my Son (who has a much darker complexion than I do, like his mother does) and then tell them to go fuck themselves in the warmest and most sincere mannered possible, and then continue on with my day because life is busy.

I am no Saint, but I just don’t have the extra energy to be an outright prick over stuff that just doesn’t matter like race or sexual orientation. Maybe I’m just lazy (?) but I just couldn’t be bothered. It’s not important.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
We are all racists and bigots in our own ways….
I dunno about that statement. I mean i get where you're coming from and it's certainly often said and i guess it depends a little on your definition of 'racists'- but to me it doesn't fit the traditional definition.

Racism to me and by more tranditional definitions isn't just 'race', it's specifically a negative impression or attitude towards someone because of their race. Not being racist isn't the same as not being 'colourblind', a term i've always hated.

Having preconceived notions about black culture for example isn't the same as having prejudice. Something that's racial isn't necessarily racists. For example, saying black people suffer from sarcoidosis more than Europeans is not a racist statement. It's a racial one, sure but that's not the same.

Having preconceived notions about things IS human nature and a very very important one to our survival as a species. And we all do that about race and many many other things, right or wrong. But that's not racism and i would hesitate to say that we're all 'Racists". I think that's not true. I think most people don't actually hold others as being lesser people or bad people etc simply because of their race, even if they do have preconceived notions of what various races and or cultures are like.

I realize it's a bit of hair splitting in a way, but i think it's an important distinction.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
My my aren't we "touchy" Good grief get ahold of yourself ok?

Touchy? 'bout what? That you - again - post absolute hypocrisy? I mean, why is it okay for you to call out racists but not other people?

I mean, I get why you didn't answer the question, and that's okay. But making out other people are somehow... 'touchy' or hysterical or whatever implication you're tossing out here is kind'a funny.

Thanks for the amusement; least it's starting my 'day' out okay.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I mean, why is it okay for you to call out racists but not other people?
She is not trying to unite canada. The prime minister and the liberal party presumably are - or at least SHOULD be.' And it's bad enough for them to just insult people and think things will get better, but when you do it to people who AREN'T even bigots or racists etc (les deplorables) then it's even worse.

(how does she not get this?)

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I dunno about that statement. I mean i get where you're coming from and it's certainly often said and i guess it depends a little on your definition of 'racists'- but to me it doesn't fit the traditional definition.
I’m assuming that “racist” & “racism” is being used in very broad to terms with my statement above…broad like the interpretation of the legislation to use the emergencies act (?) because it’s not like there’s very many crosses being burned on the lawns in my neighbourhood, etc…
Racism to me and by more tranditional definitions isn't just 'race', it's specifically a negative impression or attitude towards someone because of their race. Not being racist isn't the same as not being 'colourblind', a term i've always hated.
Ok…. I went very broad, and that the whole colour blind thing just seems like a goofy woke myth, and then I contrasted that with just treating people the way you wanna be treated. I know it sounds crazy but it seems to work. Sort of a mutual respect thing as crazy as it sounds.
Having preconceived notions about black culture for example isn't the same as having prejudice. Something that's racial isn't necessarily racists. For example, saying black people suffer from sarcoidosis more than Europeans is not a racist statement. It's a racial one, sure but that's not the same.
The way the term racist and racism is thrown around at this point in time, does somebody have to be wearing a clan outfit (?) or be machete’ing off the hands of South African Farmers (?) or even wearing Black-Face to be a racist now a days?
Having preconceived notions about things IS human nature and a very very important one to our survival as a species. And we all do that about race and many many other things, right or wrong.
It seems to be pretty universal. How are you as an individual govern yourself accordingly is a different matter though.

whoops. I somehow ruined the quote and I’m too lazy to try and figure out how to fix it so below is your own words, sir.

But that's not racism and i would hesitate to say that we're all 'Racists". I think that's not true. I think most people don't actually hold others as being lesser people or bad people etc simply because of their race, even if they do have preconceived notions of what various races and or cultures are like.

back to my words:
In the early days of Covid when this pestilence was still more or less in China, saying we should close down our borders to China was racist somehow. A couple of years into Covid protesters. On their way to Ottawa were automatically racist because… Justin Trudeau said so. Seriously, I’m assuming a very broad definition is being used.
I realize it's a bit of hair splitting in a way, but i think it's an important distinction.
Potato…Potato…Tomato…Tomato?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I’m assuming that “racist” & “racism” is being used in very broad to terms with my statement above…broad like the interpretation of the legislation to use the emergencies act (?) because it’s not like there’s very many crosses being burned on the lawns in my neighbourhood, etc…

Ok…. I went very broad, and that the whole colour blind thing just seems like a goofy woke myth, and then I contrasted that with just treating people the way you wanna be treated. I know it sounds crazy but it seems to work. Sort of a mutual respect thing as crazy as it sounds.

The way the term racist and racism is thrown around at this point in time, does somebody have to be wearing a clan outfit (?) or be machete’ing off the hands of South African Farmers (?) or even wearing Black-Face to be a racist now a days?

It seems to be pretty universal. How are you as an individual govern yourself accordingly is a different matter though.

whoops. I somehow ruined the quote and I’m too lazy to try and figure out how to fix it so below is your own words, sir.

But that's not racism and i would hesitate to say that we're all 'Racists". I think that's not true. I think most people don't actually hold others as being lesser people or bad people etc simply because of their race, even if they do have preconceived notions of what various races and or cultures are like.

back to my words:
In the early days of Covid when this pestilence was still more or less in China, saying we should close down our borders to China was racist somehow. A couple of years into Covid protesters. On their way to Ottawa were automatically racist because… Justin Trudeau said so. Seriously, I’m assuming a very broad definition is being used.

You make to much sense .All I know having grown up in a predominantly white area , we all hated each other regarding race bit were and still are good friends . I see our present multicultural society mostly doing the same .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I’m assuming that “racist” & “racism” is being used in very broad to terms with my statement above…broad like the interpretation of the legislation to use the emergencies act (?)
I see what you did there. Go stand in your corner.

I contrasted that with just treating people the way you wanna be treated. I know it sounds crazy but it seems to work.
Hippie.

(serious mode) Quite the opposite in fact, which is the problem I have with the term. Virtually everything is 'racist'. Math is 'racist'. I'm more pointing out that something isn't "racist" just because it involves race. Just trying to bring a little dignity back to the word :) It's been badly abused. As you say, it's being used so broadly it's rediculus - shutting our borders isn't racist, the truckers weren't racist. Surely we can get back to discussing racial issuses and differences without it being called racists by the race-baiters.
zuchinni squash. Because, y'know.... Me.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
…zuchinni squash. Because, y'know.... Me.
Anywho….Emergencies Act Inquiry, etc…
Now that the Public Order Emergency Commission has finished, its conclusions on whether invoking the Emergencies Act was justified will turn on two questions.

The first is whether the threshold for a threat to the security of Canada has been met, and the second is whether the federal government had “reasonable grounds” to determine that such a threat existed. Crucially the government has not released the legal opinion it received advising it that the legal requirements for the act had been met.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Crucially the government has not released the legal opinion it received advising it that the legal requirements for the act had been met.
And i think that's going to be a problem because without the judge basically has to ignore that they had such an opinion. He has to go with his own opinion.

I'm still expecting "shouldn't have done it per se but clearly was acting with best interests at heart blah blah". We'll see.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Itll be hard to shake off the Global opinion of Canada’s tyrannical measures that suspended Rights based on fabrications, rumours and hearsay of fabrications and far fetched rumours if there is an outcome that sweeps it under the rug.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Come on, you know there's enough dickheads in the other parties that if they could use the EA for their own ends to solve an issue, they would/will.
Sure, why not? Trudeau has paved the way, tested the waters, and has penned the playbook to authoritarianism in Canada. Do you think that only people with the last name Trudeau get to suspend the rights of Canadians for whatever reason they choose? Get real.

The rules of the game are being decided right now, you can't fault any future government from acting on precedent in the future.