Omnibus: Conservative Leadership Race

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Leslyn Lewis joins Pierre Poilievre in skipping third Conservative leadership debate
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Jul 28, 2022 • 15 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

OTTAWA — Leslyn Lewis has officially decided to skip out on the Conservative party’s next leadership debate.

Her campaign says it informed the race’s organizing committee she will not attend the “all-candidate event” set for Aug. 3.

The five candidates vying to replace former leader Erin O’Toole have been told by the party they are expected to appear in Ottawa for a third and final official debate before results are revealed Sept. 10.

Longtime MP Pierre Poilievre, the contest’s perceived front-runner, has announced on social media he won’t attend because he is focused on getting out the vote.

Lewis had expressed concerns about the need for another debate and in a recent open letter to the party asked whether it would cover topics including abortion and the World Economic Forum, issues she says members are inquiring about.

Under Conservative rules, candidates who do not attend party debates will be fined $50,000.

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Since the ballots were mailed out two weeks ago, I doubt there are many left to be converted. True North wants to control a debate because they have a few specific topics they want to control the message on.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

It seems Poilievre’s camp has, intentionally or not, discovered a new strategy brimming with potential: stealing left-wing populists from an NDP more interested in performative social justice than real economic justice. When it comes to winning over younger generations –– who now make up the largest share of potential voters –– this may just be the ticket to 24 Sussex.

Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Since the ballots were mailed out two weeks ago, I doubt there are many left to be converted. True North wants to control a debate because they have a few specific topics they want to control the message on.
Conservative leadership candidate Pierre Poilievre has raised more money than all his opponents combined in the months of April, May and June.

He also has more than twice the number of individual donations than Jean Charest, Leslyn Lewis, Roman Baber, Scott Aitchison and recently disqualified candidate Patrick Brown altogether, according to the latest fundraising numbers released by Elections Canada.

Reactions: taxslave and petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Conservative leadership candidate Pierre Poilievre has raised more money than all his opponents combined in the months of April, May and June.

He also has more than twice the number of individual donations than Jean Charest, Leslyn Lewis, Roman Baber, Scott Aitchison and recently disqualified candidate Patrick Brown altogether, according to the latest fundraising numbers released by Elections Canada.
Poilievre is in Regina today for a "meet n greet".

Considering going...

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
On Wednesday night in Ottawa, three of the five Conservative Party of Canada leadership candidates took part in the third and final official debate of the 2022 race.

Candidate Jean Charest and two other guys delved into some of the top issues of the campaign.

The decision to hold a third debate in the 2022 race was made months after the official English-language debate on May 11 in Edmonton, Alta., and the French-language debate in Laval, Que. on May 25. The format of the third debate differed greatly from the previous events, resulting in more of a roundtable discussion than a fiery faceoff.

Instead of standing behind podiums in a room with a sizeable audience, as they did in the other official debates, the three men and moderator all sat inside a tight studio in an industrial park located 12 kilometres from Parliament Hill.

The candidates and Conservative Party President Rob Batherson – who acted as the moderator for the evening – were all seated on low stools around one side of a round dining-room-sized table.

According to the pool reporter inside the room, before the debate began a candidate knocked over a light trying to get to the table, and Charest remarked that the setup was “bizarre,” saying he'd "never seen anything like this.”
(Candidates Pierre Poilievre and Leslyn Lewis opted to skip the debate, spending the night with supporters instead, consequently facing a $50,000 penalty.)

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Jean Charest will not commit to supporting the Conservative Party of Canada in the next federal election unless he wins the party’s leadership next month. That makes his campaign nothing more than a vanity project.

It’s all about Jean.

All along, Charest’s campaign has been distinguished by its smug elitism and contempt for the Conservative base, indeed contempt for any Canadian who does not share his narrow, “progressive,” Golden Triangle (Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto) view of the country.

Charest has shown himself as nothing more than another Justin Trudeau, policy-wise, but perhaps without the Trudeau traits that grate the most: the annoying propensity to virtue signal instead of govern and to issue smarmy apologies for every un-“woke” insult committed in our nation’s past.

Charest and Trudeau seem about equally obsessed with climate alarmism. Indeed, Charest’s environmental legislation while premier of Quebec was very similar to Trudeau’s policies since becoming P.M.

Now, after remarks Charest made following Wednesday’s runners up leadership debate, it’s clear his unofficial campaign slogan should be “If you won’t let me win, I’m taking my ball and going home.”

It was a tactical mistake for Charest to appear in Wednesday’s debate after frontrunner Pierre Poilievre and social conservative MP Leslyn Lewis declined to attend. The rest at the above link.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Ya, I do not hold a Conservative membership but I would hold my vote until the last minute I think before deciding.

Pierre says the right things but I am so skeptical of politicians right now that I'm not convinced he'll follow through. Likewise with Lewis - I like her as well but again, would I vote for her? Maybe, maybe not.

Jean Charest for sure shouldn't be even running as far as I'm concerned.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Ya, I do not hold a Conservative membership but I would hold my vote until the last minute I think before deciding.

Pierre says the right things but I am so skeptical of politicians right now that I'm not convinced he'll follow through. Likewise with Lewis - I like her as well but again, would I vote for her? Maybe, maybe not.

Jean Charest for sure shouldn't be even running as far as I'm concerned.
That I can agree with .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Jean Charest will not commit to supporting the Conservative Party of Canada in the next federal election unless he wins the party’s leadership next month. That makes his campaign nothing more than a vanity project.
Not quite nothing i fear. I believe he may be using this leadership race to raise his profile so that he can start a new political party. He will likely position it between the "evil radical right wing" of the CPC and the "Extreme far left woke" of the Liberals. And he'll have a nice list of supporters and donors to reach out to.

• Wow

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

Poilievre preferred among Conservatives, but Charest favoured by Canadians: poll​

Honestly i think this is somewhat misleading. First - i note that the younger groups are more likely to be warm to PP. The older (over 65) prefer charest. But - the younger ones are more likely to have seen him speak on youtube etc as they use social media more so they're probably more familiar, whereas those who are older probably remember charest from his days in the PC party and are more familiar with him.

Truthfully i think PP has a lot more potential to win over 'others' in the long run especially when he has the full access to the CPC's resources to get his message out

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Altho' I would venture that not all "older" people would support JC simply because of his past.
Before this all started before I heard other candidates and JC himself, he was my default choice (although I don't have a vote) from his work earlier with the PCs. But he has not impressed at all during the campaign. I would now be happy with PP or LL. I still have concerns if PP can pull in enough eastern votes to form government.