Liberal phobia and the cause….

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The "proper saying?" No. The proper saying should be "government should provide an environment in which people can help themselves, and not stand in the way of people working to better their own lives."

I am all for government helping those who are incapable of helping themselves, but I'm dead set against government helping people who don't want to help themselves.

"Your way" has resulted in too many free rides, thus placing an unfair burden on those who do work hard.

I realize you cherish the thought that big government is the cure for pretty much everything, but you're forgiven - that is just based on your ignorance of, or refusal to see how things really work. Your approach is an open-ended, academic one which has no accountability for the end results, thus making it unsustainable.

You have it right Countryboy. :lol: I know some of these "Conservative" ideas I propose are "difficult" for some to understand in that an I.Q. of 10 is required. :lol::lol: We just have to be patient.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
You have it right Countryboy. :lol: I know some of these "Conservative" ideas I propose are "difficult" for some to understand in that an I.Q. of 10 is required. :lol::lol: We just have to be patient.

It's a good thing we're so damned tolerant of others' shortcomings, eh? :cool:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Are we starting to see something that would fit under the heading of "the pot calling the kettle black"?

Yes, but we'd better change the wording a bit...I would think the more correct way would be to describe it as "the pot calling the kettle a dark and burnished colour resulting from exposure to high temperatures over time."

That's politically correct. However, it's not technically correct as the "B" word is in reality an "absence of colour" rather than a colour, so now we have a conundrum. We can't be politically correct without being technically correct. And we certainly can't be technically correct without sacrificing political correctness. Oh dear, what are we to do?

The only alternative would be to appoint a Royal Commission to look into all these outdated expressions and fashion a new set of sayings that meet with all the current "rules." Jeez, is a phobia communicable? :-|

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Yes, but we'd better change the wording a bit...I would think the more correct way would be to describe it as "the pot calling the kettle a dark and burnished colour resulting from exposure to high temperatures over time."

That's politically correct. However, it's not technically correct as the "B" word is in reality an "absence of colour" rather than a colour, so now we have a conundrum. We can't be politically correct without being technically correct. And we certainly can't be technically correct without sacrificing political correctness. Oh dear, what are we to do?

The only alternative would be to appoint a Royal Commission to look into all these outdated expressions and fashion a new set of sayings that meet with all the current "rules." Jeez, is a phobia communicable? :-|

Feasibility studies and Royal Commissions.... What a government thing to do.... ;-)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now we are getting somewhere, JJM. Conservative way is the correct way. There, was that really so hard? You finally admitted that you indeed are a conservative.

But why were you so ashamed of admitting that until now? As I said before, each and every opinion you expressed here has been conservative opinion and still you take offense when I refer to you as a conservative?

Anyway, I am glad you have had the epiphany; you realized that you indeed are a conservative, that Harper indeed is your idol.

And that is a rather strange view about minimum wage. You are OK if we have the minimum wage, but you don’t ever want to raise it. So decades from now, when prices and wages are ten times what they are today, you still want to keep the minimum wage same as it is now, effectively reducing it to 1 $ an hour. How is that any different form not having the minimum wage at all?

Your reading skills still need a little brushing up. YOu keep "putting words in people's mouths". I have never "admitted" I was a Conservative other than in the sense I believe in conserving (hence the derivation of the word). Tell me something - WHY (in your mind) does a person have to be something political? I'm just pure common sense. I have one more question for you - You as the owner of a hot dog stand have decided the tertiary hot dog maker needs a pay raise, so then you give the secondary hot dog maker the same raise + plus 20% and the primary hot dog maker the raise + 30%. What do you do to make up this loss of money?

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Your reading skills still need a little brushing up. YOu keep "putting words in people's mouths". I have never "admitted" I was a Conservative other than in the sense I believe in conserving (hence the derivation of the word). Tell me something - WHY (in your mind) does a person have to be something political? I'm just pure common sense. I have one more question for you - You as the owner of a hot dog stand have decided the tertiary hot dog maker needs a pay raise, so then you give the secondary hot dog maker the same raise + plus 20% and the primary hot dog maker the raise + 30%. What do you do to make up this loss of money?

Can I take a crack at this one, JLM? There are lots of ways to handle this easy question...here are at least some of the options:
1. The owner takes a pay cut to compensate for the increased pay for his employees.
2. The owner quits supplying the bun, mustard, and relish as freebies and starts charging for them.
3. The owners starts serving the hot dogs uncooked, thus saving cooking fuel to offset the pay increase.
4. The owners expects the workers to produce 20% - 30% more hot dogs per hour, thus offsetting the pay raise with higher sales.
5. The owner raises the price of the hot dog to make up for the pay increases.

Which one is correct? All of them, if you're doing a government study. The fact that there are things wrong with No. 1 through No. 4 doesn't matter, because they're exploring all the options, and pro forma results aren't part of the thought process. (But it makes everyone feel good...enhanced self-esteem and all the rest of it)

However, it you're doing a real study (with common sense included), No. 5 is the answer.

Unfortunately, the buyers of the hot dogs can take one look at the price increase, quickly determine that they are paying more for the same hot dog they bought yesterday, and then walk across the street to buy hot dogs from the competition at yesterday's price.

Net result? The workers who got the pay increase now make a higher rate per hour, but no longer have any hours to work as there is no business. They have just become victims of outsourcing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Can I take a crack at this one, JLM? There are lots of ways to handle this easy question...here are at least some of the options:
1. The owner takes a pay cut to compensate for the increased pay for his employees.
2. The owner quits supplying the bun, mustard, and relish as freebies and starts charging for them.
3. The owners starts serving the hot dogs uncooked, thus saving cooking fuel to offset the pay increase.
4. The owners expects the workers to produce 20% - 30% more hot dogs per hour, thus offsetting the pay raise with higher sales.

Which one is correct? All of them, if you're doing a government study. The fact that there are things wrong with No. 1 through No. 4 doesn't matter, because they're exploring all the options, and pro forma results aren't part of the thought process. (But it makes everyone feel good...enhanced self-esteem and all the rest of it)

However, it you're doing a real study (with common sense included), No. 5 is the answer.

Unfortunately, the buyers of the hot dogs can take one look at the price increase, quickly determine that they are paying more for the same hot dog they bought yesterday, and then walk across the street to buy hot dogs from the competition at yesterday's price.

Net result? The workers who got the pay increase now make a higher rate per hour, but no longer have any hours to work as there is no business. They have just become victims of outsourcing.

Bingo and I have a hunch that is what S.J. would do if he was the head hot dog honcho. Raise prices.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Bingo and I have a hunch that is what S.J. would do if he was the head hot dog honcho. Raise prices.

Well, being an extreme left-wing liberal Turdeau-maniac fanatic, you can bet your a$$ he wouldn't be taking a pay cut!

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

Now tell me..

Would prices always stay the same, if no one asked for a raise, or is that just a minimal part of the equation ?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now tell me..

Would prices always stay the same, if no one asked for a raise, or is that just a minimal part of the equation ?

Probably not (for the short term), but if no one was getting a raise, then people would be shopping harder for the lowest priced competitor and the ones who did raise their prices might find business a bit slow. :smile: The consumer sets the parameters.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Now tell me..

Hi Francis, Good to hear from you!

No, prices would not stay the same. Many things could drive them up, but the most important one would be the perceived value of that particular hot dog, in the eyes of the buyers. Lots of things can influence what "perceived value" is, but none of them have anything to do with government rules.

Raising prices based on cost is always an ass-backwards way to do things. The price is what the consumer pays, and they don't much give a crap as to what costs are involved. That's your (the business owner) problem to sort out, balance, and deal with.

It's kind of a timely example of good free enterprise at work. Don't know if you saw the hot dog stand selling "Japadogs" on TV during the Olympics, but I take my hat off to the person who came up with that one. People were lined up for as much as an hour to get one of those...I had a quick look at one of them on a film clip and it looked to me like a regular 'dog, with some sauce (likely something based on wasabi) and some shaving of seaweed. And I'm sure they weren't being "given away"...but, the customers looked pretty happy.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

Good day Country boy, you forgot to mention #6

The Owner shorts the worker on benefits and pay and the worker starts steeling from the owner to get even, which in the long run is far more expensive for the owner then taking care of the worker which is and will never stop being a pivotal part of business.
The same with the Government of the day, the Government steals from the people and the underground economy becomes a wild economic power that steals from the Government by not declaring true incomes.

When Mulroney was at work sticking it to the Canadian taxpayer, the underground economy was at its best, many of the working force where given a reason to F THE GOVERNMENT.
So…………… plane and simple, if you put the cart before the horse, and in this case the horse is the people, and the cart is the employer or the Government, then you see huge societal stupidity and a work force agenda to fight back.

I love being a Liberal………………………………...:p

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Hi Francis, Good to hear from you!

No, prices would not stay the same. Many things could drive them up, but the most important one would be the perceived value of that particular hot dog, in the eyes of the buyers. Lots of things can influence what "perceived value" is, but none of them have anything to do with government rules.

Raising prices based on cost is always an ass-backwards way to do things. The price is what the consumer pays, and they don't much give a crap as to what costs are involved. That's your (the business owner) problem to sort out, balance, and deal with.

It's kind of a timely example of good free enterprise at work. Don't know if you saw the hot dog stand selling "Japadogs" on TV during the Olympics, but I take my hat off to the person who came up with that one. People were lined up for as much as an hour to get one of those...I had a quick look at one of them on a film clip and it looked to me like a regular 'dog, with some sauce (likely something based on wasabi) and some shaving of seaweed. And I'm sure they weren't being "given away"...but, the customers looked pretty happy.

Good to be back.. Honestly I have been back a while just not getting into much debate with people who rather argue then discuss.. I respect that you are not one of them.. ;-)

I must disagree with you on the none of them have anything to do with government rules however.. Taxes, levies and interest rates set by government all affect these businesses greatly.. I think we could go even deeper into Licenses, CPP, EI and much more if you wanted too but let's just look at the basics and start there..

Sorry I missed much of the Olympics as I was in surgery.. I believe VI told you guys about it and much of what I saw was limited.. Sounds like a neat idea however for the hotdog stand..

Knowing what I do know about business I can say a hot dog stand would be a poor choice to use as an example.. :lol: Most are owner / worker operated..

Other businesses are much better placed financially to offer more to employees and many don't.. But that said, no business is in it to sell below cost or operate at a loss for very long.. You and I know it doesn't work that way..