KKK costume at Canadian Legion Halloween party disgusts many

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The guy distributing brochures wasn't complaining, he was simply distributing religious brochures.
These guys were simply dressing up in costume for entertainment.

Really, there's no difference.

If his brochures were complaining about gays then he, by distributing them, was promoting that idea. Your word games, while somewhat entertaining, don't really mean a whole lot.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If his brochures were complaining about gays then he, by distributing them, was promoting that idea. Your word games, while somewhat entertaining, don't really mean a whole lot.

Hey, don't worry about it.

I've learned something today - it's okay to be ignorant, as long as you do it in the spirit of fun. You can act out in the most offensive and hurtful way, as long as it's meant to be funny.

I wasn't aware of that fact, but now I am, so I'm happy.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Newfie jokes might be acceptable in your circles but not in mine. And I know lots of people who feel just like I do.

....but they're probably a bunch of Newfies and are just upset that they don't get the jokes.

I've learned something today - it's okay to be ignorant, as long as you do it in the spirit of fun. You can act out in the most offensive and hurtful way, as long as it's meant to be funny.

...and I've learned something today as well. Some people think that wearing a costume is the most hurtful and offensive thing you can do? I didn't realize that the guy wearing the viking costume on Saturday night was so hurtful and offensive because of how the vikings behaved.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
....but they're probably a bunch of Newfies and are just upset that they don't get the jokes.

...and I've learned something today as well. Some people think that wearing a costume is the most hurtful and offensive thing you can do? I didn't realize that the guy wearing the viking costume on Saturday night was so hurtful and offensive because of how the vikings behaved.

the most hurtful thing?

I assume you dredged that concept up from the vast expanses of your brain.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Who would have thought they'd see the day Cannuck and I agree on something :lol:

The thing is.... who here can, without a doubt, determine exactly who these guys were deliberately degrading?

The white guy dressed up as the black guy, or the guy in the hood with the confetti flag..... or both?

Or neither?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
the most hurtful thing?

I assume you dredged that concept up from the vast expanses of your brain.

No, I got it from you

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
See there you go. That is such a loaded comment you made there, full of assumptions,innuendo,sarcasm and ignorance. You've managed to insult a whole group of people with a simple wave of your hand. And the sad thing is a lot of people on this forum agree with you. I have my fingers crossed for you though.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Newfie jokes might be acceptable in your circles but not in mine. And I know lots of people who feel just like I do. If a large enough segment of society deems it acceptable to poke fun at a specific group then it must be ok, even if it is wrong. Is that what you're saying? You justify it because everybody is getting a good ole laugh out of the situation. At the same time you don't give a second thought about how your target may feel. What does it matter. As long as you get your chuckle. Getting a laugh from your buddies at the expense of someone else makes you small and insignificant. The people who showed up at the Legion should hang their heads in shame. They're pushing ahead the racisim agenda and we're just as bad for condoning it. First prize...gimme a break!

There is a simple "acid test" for this sort of thing- If you can laugh at jokes about you own ethnicity ( I can & do) then you can crack jokes about other ethnicities. Oh yeah, I don't believe in or subscribe to "political correctness" (except on election day). :smile:

Good to hear you are learning. :smile:

Astute thinking and probably quite correct. :smile:

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
There is a simple "acid test" for this sort of thing- If you can laugh at jokes about you own ethnicity ( I can & do) then you can crack jokes about other ethnicities.
No you can't. Laughing at your own inadequacies and insecurities is one thing. That is acceptable, especially if you initiate the exchange. But fingering others with mean-spirited, nasty verbage meant to demean and humiliate your target just so you can feel good about yourself is not acceptable. Someday you'll get it....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
..... But fingering others with mean-spirited, nasty verbage meant to demean and humiliate your target just so you can feel good about yourself is not acceptable. Someday you'll get it....

That is the crux of this thread. Is there any evidence whatsoever that these party goers were meaning to demean or humiliate anybody. Just because some people think it's demeaning, doesn't mean it is. People think whatever they want. Hell, some people even think Newfoundland is a great place.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
While were at it, let's ban bald head jokes....they hurt my poor wibble feelings...:-(

especially after I've heard it fifteen times....;-)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That is the crux of this thread. Is there any evidence whatsoever that these party goers were meaning to demean or humiliate anybody. Just because some people think it's demeaning, doesn't mean it is. People think whatever they want. Hell, some people even think Newfoundland is a great place.

I think you have the subject is proper prospective Cannuck. Most times when we use "Newfies", "Scotsmen", "Ukranians", it's just an example we take out of the blue to tell a joke- could just as easily be Martians.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
While were at it, let's ban bald head jokes....they hurt my poor wibble feelings...:-(

especially after I've heard it fifteen times....;-)

Sure, if you can show where bald folks were enslaved and hung from ropes.

That is a good cover for ignorance.

It tells nothing. The guy wasn't doing it to suit me, so it's really none of my business. :smile:

Sure it does JLM, you think it's okay to wear to depict a balck man being led around by a rope and se nothing wrong with first prize....but hey, stay away from pediphiles in the church....that just isn't funny.

If I dressed up as a German soldier carrying the head of a Canadian would that also be funny? Perhaps first prize worthy in the legion eh...wot?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If I dressed up as a German soldier carrying the head of a Canadian would that also be funny? Perhaps first prize worthy in the legion eh...wot?

It would depend on the costume. Not all Halloween costumes are intended to be funny.

The real question is, would I be offended? The answer is no. If you acted in a way or said things that were hateful towards soldiers, that would be another story.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Depicting slavery as an acceptable form of entertainment is demeaning and in very poor taste. You'd have to have a conscience to understand it of course. Just because people can think whatever they want doesn't give them the right to act out those thoughts. Apparently more than some think Newfoundland is a great place. The Avalon Peninsula was recently voted #1 in the world by National Geographic as a vacation spot for untouched, pristine coastline. Do yourself a favor and visit sometime. It'll broaden your mind as far as Canada goes and might change your thinking on the place.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Depicting slavery as an acceptable form of entertainment is demeaning and in very poor taste. You'd have to have a conscience to understand it of course. Just because people can think whatever they want doesn't give them the right to act out those thoughts. Apparently more than some think Newfoundland is a great place. The Avalon Peninsula was recently voted #1 in the world by National Geographic as a vacation spot for untouched, pristine coastline. Do yourself a favor and visit sometime. It'll broaden your mind as far as Canada goes and might change your thinking on the place.

So using that logic, dressing up as the devil would be in bad taste. :smile:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
It would depend on the costume. Not all Halloween costumes are intended to be funny.

The real question is, would I be offended? The answer is no. If you acted in a way or said things that were hateful towards soldiers, that would be another story.

The question is....is it okay to be offended?

Or should the black guy who walked out just man up and offer to take the black faced guys place because it's Halloween for f*ck sake.....you can do anything.

Interesting though that you find a German holding the head of a dead Canadian soldier acceptable as long as I don't do anything hateful.

What about the head of a Jew...is that alright as well.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Depicting slavery as an acceptable form of entertainment is demeaning and in very poor taste.

That is absolutely the silliest thing posted on this thread. Nothing these guys have said or done would suggest they believe slavery is acceptable or entertaining. I suggest you retract this statement because the individuals involved in this story (as well as their lawyers) may not look too kindly on your libelous allegation.

Apparently more than some think Newfoundland is a great place. The Avalon Peninsula was recently voted #1 in the world by National Geographic as a vacation spot for untouched, pristine coastline. Do yourself a favor and visit sometime. It'll broaden your mind as far as Canada goes and might change your thinking on the place.

Been there.