KKK costume at Canadian Legion Halloween party disgusts many

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wondered about that as well. Currently anyone with any disability is called special needs. Way too generic. Gives no inkling of what kind of special needs required. Feel kind of foolish bringing a wheel chair only to find that the special need is sign language.
Since I was a kid we called the big rocks in the road "niggerheads" No idea why. A few years back some government PC idiot said they couldn't be call that anymore so we started calling them ethnic rocks.
Anyway the PC crowd has become far too much of a problem.

That brings to mind a newspaper article several years ago desribing someone as being "niggardly"- sure as hell a few days later there was a letter to editor chastising the paper for using such a racial slur in the article. :lol:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That brings to mind a newspaper article several years ago desribing someone as being "niggardly"- sure as hell a few days later there was a letter to editor chastising the paper for using such a racial slur in the article. :lol:

I guess it doesn't matter that the origin or the meaning of that word has nothing to do with Blacks (African Americans)...
It just didn't sound quite right to politically correct folks.........

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I guess it doesn't matter that the origin or the meaning of that word has nothing to do with Blacks (African Americans)...
It just didn't sound quite right to politically correct folks.........

Yep, nothing like being politically correct, while being grammatical stupid. :lol:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not as big a problem and some of those African Canadians that get all uppity over the word "niggerhead" when you use it.

They get all Uppity - Really fine choice of words I might say. Really fine. Are you looking for some sort of argument with the use of that phrase in the sentence comparing niggerhead and Blacks (African Canadians)

Seeing that it is an ancient, obscure term and i would hazard a guess rarely used, do you blame anyone from thinking differently?

It was also used to describe Black Afros as well - That is more recent than a black iron post for mooring a ship. Would you disagree?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Politically correct feminists would have a fit if they knew what some french lumberjacks call the little piece of metal in the middle of a timberjack sling choker:lol:

But the French are not so up-tight with language....non?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
They get all Uppity - Really fine choice of words I might say. Really fine. Are you looking for some sort of argument with the use of that phrase in the sentence comparing niggerhead and Blacks (African Canadians)

What if I am?

Seeing that it is an ancient, obscure term and i would hazard a guess rarely used, do you blame anyone from thinking differently?

It was also used to describe Black Afros as well - That is more recent than a black iron post for mooring a ship. Would you disagree?

Everyone knows what nigger means. It doesn't matter what you associate it with and I personally know the term from the context it was used in the op. Like the Swastika which used to be a cross, it's now and ever shall be associated first and foremost with the derogatory name used for African Americans and later for anyone one not Caucasian. The lowest of the low attempt to slide **** like that in with hopes to offend while under the pretense of innocently talking colourfully about coal, mooring cleats or rocks.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What if I am?

Everyone knows what nigger means. It doesn't matter what you associate it with and I personally know the term from the context it was used in the op. Like the Swastika which used to be a cross, it's now and ever shall be associated first and foremost with the derogatory name used for African Americans and later for anyone one not Caucasian. The lowest of the low attempt to slide **** like that in with hopes to offend while under the pretense of innocently talking colourfully about coal, mooring cleats or rocks.

Well if you were I wondered why and now I see why - And i agree with your last points.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What if I am?

I'm not sure that the caucasians aren't more offended with the word than the blacks are. You can call a Scotsman an "oat meal savage" without raising near the number of eyebrows. :smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
JLM now you said something really funny. Our family is made up of literally everything
but a Muslim. It is sometimes a glimpse of the United Nations, through marriage and
what have you. What do many of these wonderful people, white, black and otherwise?
They call me, the oatmeal savage.
I think in this day and age however, for a party at the Legion, I don't think it is appropriate
for this particular costume. Actually if someone dressed like Hitler it would be one thing,
but not at a Legion, but in this day and age, I do think this one went to far.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM now you said something really funny. Our family is made up of literally everything
but a Muslim. It is sometimes a glimpse of the United Nations, through marriage and
what have you. What do many of these wonderful people, white, black and otherwise?
They call me, the oatmeal savage.
I think in this day and age however, for a party at the Legion, I don't think it is appropriate
for this particular costume. Actually if someone dressed like Hitler it would be one thing,
but not at a Legion, but in this day and age, I do think this one went to far.

I can see that, a sensible person uses a little common sense re time and place for things, on the other hand we have to be able to differentiate between what is a "faux pas" or bad judgment and what is a "federal issue". If someone is badly physically hurt on Hallowe'en that is a "federal issue"- poor taste isn't.