Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Violence plays role in shorter U.S. life expectancy: report - The Globe and Mail

The United States suffers far more violent deaths than any other wealthy nation, due in part to the widespread possession of firearms and the practice of storing them at home in a place that is often unlocked, according to a report released Wednesday by two of the nation's leading health research institutions.

In attempting to explain why Americans are so unhealthy, the researchers looked at three categories: the nation's health care system, harmful behaviors and social and economic conditions. Researchers noted that the U.S. has a large uninsured population compared to other countries with comparable economies, and more limited access to primary care. And although the income of Americans is higher on average than that of other wealthy countries, the United States also has a higher level of poverty, especially among children.

The researchers reviewed an array of studies over the years. They estimated that homicide and suicide together account for about a quarter of the years of life lost for U.S. men compared to those in those peer countries. Homicide, they noted, is the second leading cause of death among adolescents and young adults aged 15-24. The large majority of those homicides involve firearms.

The researchers said there is little evidence that violent acts occur more frequently in the United States than elsewhere. It's the lethality of those attacks that stands out.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Take off the binkers. Because I am for restricting certain weapons to those mentally incompetent, children, ex-cons that makes me a nutbar?? Those who think gun control of any sort is unnecessary are the nutbars in my opinion. Those who feel they must have a total modern armory, to feel safe against the government they voted for, are the nutbars, also in my opinion. The need to purchase, over the counter weapons that fire multiple bullets in seconds to feel safe are the nutbars, again in my opinion.

So now you know what I think about those who put their overweaning need for personal protection ahead of those who do not want to live like we are in a state of war. Many people do not want to have to leave the house bristling with everything from schoolbags that repel bullets to armed guards in every school, bank or church .

It must be obvious, that the media attention given to such events and the after effects of them, encourage others to top the last one. So if the appellation "nutbar" fits, accept the name and think before speaking or posting.

All of which is already law and has been for decades.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
OBAMA : So I don’t want any misunderstanding. When ya’ll go home and you’re talking to your buddies, and they say, “He wants to take my gun away,” you’ve heard it here, I’m on television so everybody knows it, I believe in the Second Amendment, I believe in people’s lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away, I will not take your rifle away, I won’t take your handgun away.

Of course, that was in 2008

Violence plays role in shorter U.S. life expectancy: report - The Globe and Mail

The United States suffers far more violent deaths than any other wealthy nation, due in part to the widespread possession of firearms and the practice of storing them at home in a place that is often unlocked, according to a report released Wednesday by two of the nation's leading health research institutions.

Bull Shyte.

I love how they say "wealthy nation"..........cherry pick much??

When Honduras has a murder rate 20 times that of the USA, and has strict gun control.....so it can't be the guns that are causing the murder...

Maybe it is poverty, desperation, a culture of violence??

So why are we blaming guns??

And why are we cherry-picking stats??

The fact remands, the USA is in the best 25% of nations when it comes to homicide.

75% of nations are WORSE than the USA.

Despite the fact the USA has by far the highest gun ownership.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
OBAMA : So I don’t want any misunderstanding. When ya’ll go home and you’re talking to your buddies, and they say, “He wants to take my gun away,” you’ve heard it here, I’m on television so everybody knows it, I believe in the Second Amendment, I believe in people’s lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away, I will not take your rifle away, I won’t take your handgun away.

Of course, that was in 2008

Bull Shyte.

I love how they say "wealthy nation"..........cherry pick much??

When Honduras has a murder rate 20 times that of the USA, and has strict gun control.....so it can't be the guns that are causing the murder...

Maybe it is poverty, desperation, a culture of violence??

So why are we blaming guns??

And why are we cherry-picking stats??

The fact remands, the USA is in the best 25% of nations when it comes to homicide.

75% of nations are WORSE than the USA.

Despite the fact the USA has by far the highest gun ownership.

Are or is gun violence a problem in the US.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
One-quarter of the nations are better than the good old USA. Yes, it is a function of Gun ownership.

Now, if you claim guns are such a huge factor in homicide, how can the gun-crazy USA be in the top 25%??

A little less arrogance and a little more linear thought, please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Find me a correlation.

Here's a hint: if there is one, it is a NEGATIVE one.

I searched the top 20 gun owning countries.

NOT ONE was up to the world average homicide rate.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Other than the mentally unbalanced, and ruthlessly violent, there is another analogy that says, that

when all of the gunslinging burglars and other such gun carriers who want to mug and show their

bullishness,- 'do' their dirty deeds --

'If' they know that the majority of people they steal from or

mug, 'do not' have a gun, it is more likely no shots will ever be fired, and the gun is used only

to frighten, unless the victim makes some sudden move toward them, BUT -- If the opposite is true,

and both parties have guns, someone will be shot.

It makes sense to me, as the gun packer knows he won't be shot, so the majority of them have no particular

reason to shoot their victim, they just want the 'loot', and leave, of course there is no guarantee of

safety for the victim, but more of a guarantee, than if he was carrying a gun, as it isn't the shoot him

before he shoots me mentality happening.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Other than the mentally unbalanced, and ruthlessly violent, there is another analogy that says, that

when all of the gunslinging burglars and other such gun carriers who want to mug and show their

mug, 'do not' have a gun, it is more likely no shots will ever be fired, and the gun is used only

to frighten, unless the victim makes some sudden move toward them, BUT -- If the opposite is true,

It makes sense to me, as the gun packer knows he won't be shot, so the majority of them have no particular

reason to shoot their victim, they just want the 'loot', and leave, of course there is no guarantee of

safety for the victim, but more of a guarantee, than if he was carrying a gun, as it isn't the shoot him

A full load of victim mentality.....:roll:

Why not if you want to be realy safe......leave your doors unlocked so they don't break down the door...

If you want to go further down the path of compliance, why not put all your stuff on the lawn so he doesn't get mad at you because of the work you're making him do hauling stuff out and break more stuff out of spite..
And if he decides to rape you....don't resist.....he might beat you up..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

wow, I like that. I have been contemplating why British cops on the beat do not carry guns... this would be why.

So while the States wants to gun up, Britain is a prime example that it can be done.

I do remember way back when one of the first bobbies were shot, everyone in the criminal element helped to track down the shooter because it is part of the code. You don't kill cops, you don't fire your gun. More and more I am going back to where I was before, guns for hunting, that's it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
wow, I like that. I have been contemplating why British cops on the beat do not carry guns... this would be why.

So while the States wants to gun up, Britain is a prime example that it can be done.

I do remember way back when one of the first bobbies were shot, everyone in the criminal element helped to track down the shooter because it is part of the code. You don't kill cops, you don't fire your gun. More and more I am going back to where I was before, guns for hunting, that's it.

Unfortunately, that is absolute baloney.

While the Bobbies do carry, the police keep armed squads ready to respond to any incident that requires force.....

When I trained armoured car guards in firearms and the legal ramifications of self-defense, one of the things we told them was surrender the money. If you think it will help, don't think twice, give it up. But THINK TWICE before you surrender your firearm, as well over 50% of the time a guard gave up his sidearm, he was subsequently executed.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah, that's right....Americans are stupid.
But we weren't speaking of "Americans" I was speaking of the "mean" and it is true that your average Canadian has a higher level of education or if you want to term it just literacy fine... than your average American.

They just tripped into becoming the most powerful nation that has ever existed on the face of the earth....
No they didn't just trip into it. They worked themselves into it. They had plants that produced everything and thus employment was high, exporting was high...expectation was high (in American I can be anything). Life was good. They were the leading country in the world.

But then that all went to hell. Production dried up.

All things change. Greece was once the centre of the world, so was Roman, Britain ruled the seas (most powerful country on earth) so was America, but all things shift and change. What was, is no more.

They need to dig themselves out of this mighty hole before they are once again the most powerful or even respected.

As for their guns, they can blast away, but the reality is someone can be armed to the teeth and if I can out smart them, they are still going to lose.

Unfortunately, that is absolute baloney.

While the Bobbies do carry, the police keep armed squads ready to respond to any incident that requires force.....

When I trained armoured car guards in firearms and the legal ramifications of self-defense, one of the things we told them was surrender the money. If you think it will help, don't think twice, give it up. But THINK TWICE before you surrender your firearm, as well over 50% of the time a guard gave up his sidearm, he was subsequently executed.

It is not baloney, you even say so yourself... they do not carry guns, they keep armed squads on the ready. That is a whole lot different than your average street cop almost anywhere else in the world.

I have no problem with armoured car guards, they are not your average Fred, their job requires it in our country.

50% is an interesting stat...does that mean if you do give it up, 50% of the time you live or if you don't give it up 50% of the time you live. What does it mean from your perspective?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
But we weren't speaking of "Americans" I was speaking of the "mean" and it is true that your average Canadian has a higher level of education or if you want to term it just literacy fine... than your average American.

No they didn't just trip into it. They worked themselves into it. They had plants that produced everything and thus employment was high, exporting was high...expectation was high (in American I can be anything). Life was good. They were the leading country in the world.

But then that all went to hell. Production dried up.

All things change. Greece was once the centre of the world, so was Roman, Britain ruled the seas (most powerful country on earth) so was America, but all things shift and change. What was, is no more.

They need to dig themselves out of this mighty hole before they are once again the most powerful or even respected.

As for their guns, they can blast away, but the reality is someone can be armed to the teeth and if I can out smart them, they are still going to lose.

It is not baloney, you even say so yourself... they do not carry guns, they keep armed squads on the ready. That is a whole lot different than your average street cop almost anywhere else in the world.

I have no problem with armoured car guards, they are not your average Fred, their job requires it in our country.

50% is an interesting stat...does that mean if you do give it up, 50% of the time you live or if you don't give it up 50% of the time you live. What does it mean from your perspective?

First of all, education is not really an indication of "smart" Some of the most brilliant people I know never even completed high school........

Secondly, during that period that the United States grew into being the greatest nation on earth.......say from 1900 to 1950....do you know what the AVERAGE level of education was in the USA in the first half of the 20th century?? Grade EIGHT.

Third: What made America (and the west) great and powerful was liberty, seasoned with the restraining influence of a Christian culture. So you can not regain greatness by restraining liberty.

As for the 50% thing, it is actually much higher than 50% that are killed when they surrender their weapons. Just let them have the money and back away is the very best survival tactic.

No need for us to use that tactic, their stats on accidental death by gun alone should scary anyone.

In the USA in a normal year, there were 800 people killed in gun-related accidents.

There were 40,000 people killed in vehicle accidents.

At least 44,000 die from medical errors in HOSPITALS.

There were 435,000 died from tobacco use.

There were 110,000 died from obesity.

There were 85,000 died from alcohol abuse.

Just to put the accident thing in perspective.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Another politician with reading comprehension problems.

The Bill of Rights means what it says.....every American adult has a right to keep and bear personal weapons suitable for combat.

Those rights can only be limited by a history of criminality or mental incompetence.

The only legitimate way to enshrine strict gun control in the USA is to amend the constitution.

Anything else proposed by these scumbag politicians is a violation of their oath to uphold the constitution.