Ex-leader of Westboro Baptist reportedly on death bed

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
In this case I don't agree , they deserve the same respect they gave . Let them whine about the protest , show them how it feels to have the shoe on the other foot because people like this are unsympathetic and should be served as such , maybe they would understand a bit.

In any other case I would agree with SS , not this time

That's okay. I respect your opinion. I do feel that if people do protest his funeral, then the "church" will use it as ammunition to increase their own protests and other vile acts.

I should add that if a funeral of my loved one was one of the ones hit with a Westboro protest, then I may have a different opinion.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Fred Phelps Sr., founder of U.S. church known for anti-gay protests, dies at 84

In this March 19, 2006 photo, the Rev. Fred Phelps Sr. preaches at his Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan. Phelps, the founder of the Kansas church known for anti-gay protests and pickets at military funerals, died Thursday, March 20, 2014. He was 84. (AP / Charlie Riedel)

Read more: Fred Phelps Sr., founder of Westboro church known for anti-gay protests, dies at 84 | CTV News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
well he is currently learning how wrong he was

may he RIP

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If he managed to die at 80 of natural causes rather than a GSW years ago shows that the moral fortitude of those he attacked was far stronger than the message and years of effort he and his followers put into their hatred.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
"Fred Phelps Sr., a fire-and-brimstone preacher whose anti-gay picketing at military funerals inflamed the nation and drew international scorn but was protected by the Supreme Court as an exercise in free speech, died March 19 at a hospice in Topeka, Kan. He was 84.

"The Topeka-based organization Rev. Phelps founded, Westboro Baptist Church, announced the death on its Web site but did not provide the cause. The message said he had 'Gone The Way of All Flesh.'

"Rev. Phelps was an ordained Baptist minister, a disbarred Kansas lawyer and, according to a BBC documentary, the patriarch of the 'most hated family in America.'

"The Southern Poverty Law Center, a prominent civil rights group, described his Westboro congregation as a 'family-based cult' and 'arguably the most obnoxious and rabid hate group in America.'

"The expression of Rev. Phelps’s bigotry even managed to offend the conscience of the Ku Klux Klan, which staged protests to counter Westboro’s demonstrations at military funerals."

Fred Phelps Sr., leader of Westboro Baptist Church, dies at 84 - The Washington Post

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If he managed to die at 80 of natural causes rather than a GSW years ago shows that the moral fortitude of those he attacked was far stronger than the message and years of effort he and his followers put into their hatred.

I think it would be difficult to be more morally bereft than he and his followers.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually they hope there will be protests to prove there are people as crazy as they are.
These people want ink lots and lots of ink and TV rerun space and radio time for their
twisted cause. Me thinks ignoring them is the very best policy. Besides if people do
protest and go to the funeral God might strike them with lighting in hopes of taking the
whole family out at once. After all lightning seems to be Gods version of a Drone.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Estranged son of Fred Phelps Sr. to skip bigot’s funeral
By Bill Kaufmann ,Calgary Sun
First posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 12:51 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, March 21, 2014 12:56 AM EDT
The estranged son of North America’s most notorious bigot said he won’t leave his Calgary home for his father’s funeral.
Fred Phelps Sr., of the Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church, infamous for its crude picketing at funerals of homosexuals, soldiers and shooting victims, died late Wednesday at 84.
His son Nathan, who fled the hate-filled rhetoric and his tightly controlled household at 18, said he’s not ready to honour his father by mourning him.

Estranged son of Fred Phelps Sr. to skip bigot’s funeral | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"" ‘An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.’ ""

...........His granddaughter's words....good for you, gal.

She left the "church" years ago.