Dope

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No, the correct answer is not "Here!" Accurate, no doubt, but not what I'm looking for.

Now that we're boldly going where just about everybody has gone before, how's Canada's experience with legal marijuana going? Any major problems?

By "major," I mean "comparable with the problem of locking up youngsters and ruining their lives for a baggie of weed."

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Pot shop on every corner, much like a bar on every corner in the US I suppose. In either case, it doesn't affect me personally. They are not walking around like zombies, if that's what you are asking. I guess it helps small business.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It’s taken the prices on the black market and dropped them somewhat, and improved the quality of be found on the black market.

Not sure I would want to be the owner of one of these government approved marijuana stores at this point trying to compete with that, and they (Gov’t Pot Shops I mean) are everywhere!!!

When the government tells you what your minimum price can be and then what their taxes on that are going to be… and what your minimum wages to your staff are going to be, and then factor in the rent on your facility, and every other cost incurred in running any other business… I don’t think the profit margin is very much of anything.

It’s made the black market cheaper, faster, stronger, and more enterprising. “Why give your money to Justin when you can get more, better, for less, more conveniently?” Sort of thing.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It’s taken the prices on the black market and dropped them somewhat, and improved the quality of be found on the black market.

Not sure I would want to be the owner of one of these government approved marijuana stores at this point trying to compete with that, and they (Gov’t Pot Shops I mean) are everywhere!!!

When the government tells you what your minimum price can be and then what their taxes on that are going to be… and what your minimum wages to your staff are going to be, and then factor in the rent on your facility, and every other cost incurred in running any other business… I don’t think the profit margin is very much of anything.

It’s made the black market cheaper, faster, stronger, and more enterprising. “Why give your money to Justin when you can get more, better, for less, more conveniently?” Sort of thing.
One shop in Langley seems to be very busy , patrons in and out from 9 am daily . I don’t see the same volume at most stores . The one in White Rock also seems very busy with line ups out the door .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
No, the correct answer is not "Here!" Accurate, no doubt, but not what I'm looking for.

Now that we're boldly going where just about everybody has gone before, how's Canada's experience with legal marijuana going? Any major problems?

By "major," I mean "comparable with the problem of locking up youngsters and ruining their lives for a baggie of weed."
Nothing like what you’re asking about, but legalizing this is not the same as the experiment that BC’s started with the Crack & Coke & Fentanyl & Meth though. That’s a different animal all together. I can see that being…problematic.

(Right now the biggest issue to someone with the “baggie of weed” thing on their record is travel or employment in the US)

Is this the answer you’re looking for, or have we all gone in the wrong direction?

Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nothing like what you’re asking about, but legalizing this is not the same as the experiment that BC’s started with the Crack & Coke & Fentanyl & Meth though. That’s a different animal all together. I can see that being…problematic.

(Right now the biggest issue to someone with the “baggie of weed” thing on their record is travel or employment in the US)

Is this the answer you’re looking for, or have we all gone in the wrong direction?
Nope, pretty much what I expected and hoped for.

Personally, I don't think legalization of the really dangerous stuff will make a lot of difference. Think of it as evolution in action.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Pot shops here in Ont are private enterprises, not what the former Liberal government of Kathleen Wynne wanted. They wanted it to be gov run only like the LCBO.
Are they private accross the country or are some gov run only?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
State stores suck. No eye-candy posters implying that if you drink Belch Beer or Old Sweatsocks liquor, this hot model chick will bang you right there on the barroom floor.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Somehow - and Even I would not have suspected this would be the problem - but somehow the feds managed to make selling dope problematic and unprofitable.

It's just been a poor implementation and the legislation around it has been really badly thought out and excecuted and it has lead to some poor quality product.

This is British Columbia. Dope was practically legal here for decades and could be obtained with next to no effort - so it made no real difference in that respect. I don't think it stopped the street dealers much because they sell better product for less money'. And many deliver.

Education has also been a problem. People don't know much about the product in the stores and what the regulations are to protect them, etc. I can read about various boozes for hours but there's next to nothing about the dope in bc stores.

The whole thing turned out to be a bit of a nothingburger.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

We haven’t seen the carnage on the roads that many were warning of.

Reactions: 55Mercury

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
We haven’t seen the carnage on the roads that many were warning of.
We haven't seen MORE carnage on the roads, that's true. We always had carnage. I've driven in Richmond, so honestly i'm not sure they'd notice a difference. It;s like "the purge" with acura's and suv's there at the best of times.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
We haven't seen MORE carnage on the roads, that's true. We always had carnage. I've driven in Richmond, so honestly i'm not sure they'd notice a difference. It;s like "the purge" with acura's and suv's there at the best of times.
Owning an expensive car does not make an idiot any less of an idiot .

Reactions: The_Foxer

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I like the fact I can grow my own instead of playing THC bingo at the stores.
We usually only grow it for our dogs. They self medicate when necessary. It sure helps to make the old arthritic dog spry for 3-4 hours at a time, once or twice a day during the season.
1675619752992.jpeg
The plants seem to like it too. He trims off the lower tender shoots and forces them to produce…more. I think it’s a predation reaction.
1675619866179.jpeg
The old dog is low slung, so it forces him to stretch and contort to get to the shoots that he wants.
1675619923940.jpeg
Makes him get more and more creative to get to the new growth that he can reach. Shortly there after his motion gets more fluid, and he becomes so much more playful with the younger dog, etc…
1675620313802.jpeg

Reactions: Jinentonix

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Hands down winners of marijuana legislation in Canada has been the banks. As much as they can get of the black market cash and convert it into high interest credit card charges. Takes one minute to buy weed online with a credit card.