Dope

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Pot shops here in Ont are private enterprises, not what the former Liberal government of Kathleen Wynne wanted. They wanted it to be gov run only like the LCBO.
Are they private accross the country or are some gov run only?
Both. BC has government shops and there are lots of private ones. All overpriced bunk. I don’t buy from either. One of the joys of having acreage. Actually I am somewhat afraid of the blackmarket stuff because I don’t know what they may have spiced it up with, or even what chemicals were used in growing.
The decriminalizing of hard drugs worries me, because every druggie in Canada will end up in BC and use our medical system and will be stealing everything they can to pay for it. We will see in a few months. I don’t mind the decriminalizing, if it includes mandatory treatment. But apparently that would cut into the bike lane money. Also would like to see real penalties for importing and dealing.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
They cant afford to get to BC.
Traditionally, eastern governments have ponied up for 1 way bus tickets. For some reason no one is willing to explain, we can not return the favour. Of course our far left governments likes losers.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
A lot of people in the city object to the smell as smokers are forced into the outdoors unless they own their own freestanding house everywhere and I mean everywhere is No Smoking these days.

But Yes the black market growers produce the Best Shit Anywhere and maybe always will.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Traditionally, eastern governments have ponied up for 1 way bus tickets. For some reason no one is willing to explain, we can not return the favour. Of course our far left governments likes losers.
BC can also pony up for 1 way bus tickets (or the equivalent thereof) to the west, & it puts these junkies on the doorstep of the country that’s producing the fentanyl. I’m sure China would welcome them with open arms.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A lot of people in the city object to the smell as smokers are forced into the outdoors unless they own their own freestanding house everywhere and I mean everywhere is No Smoking these days.

But Yes the black market growers produce the Best Shit Anywhere and maybe always will.
Hasn’t the BC court recently ruled that drug use has to be allowed in public places? I think the idea is fentanyl and meth, etc…but aren’t marijuana and tobacco drugs?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Hasn’t the BC court recently ruled that drug use has to be allowed in public places? I think the idea is fentanyl and meth, etc…but aren’t marijuana and tobacco drugs?
Tobacco is current legal. As long as no woke person sees or smells it. And there are worksafeBC rules around smoking at work. This is where the weird smoking sites come from. Last I remember, no smoking within 3 metres of a door or window. No smoking at the workplace. So I can legally refuse to operate a machine if the last person that ran it smoked inside it. Pot isn’t exactly legal. It is decriminalized. In legal speak it is not the same thing. Rules are much like alcohol. Same will apply to hard drugs in the workplace. As for shooting up in public, we will have to see how that works out. Campbell River just passed a bylaw prohibiting drug use on any public property. $200 fine. They didn’t explain how they plan to collect the fine from homeless abusers. Also didn’t explain exactly how they plan to enforce the bylaw.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah, my bad. Not yet, but a push is on to have the province allow it (use in public places, and disallow bylaws that would prevent drug use in public places and city facilities).
"At a time when every level of government is vowing to treat substance use as a public health issue rather than a criminal justice issue, this bylaw is really quite backward."

The bylaw banning the consumption of drugs like opioids, cocaine, MDMA and methamphetamine in city facilities and parks would carry a penalty of $200.
1675632635498.jpeg
She said the province has the authority to stop its enactment as it affects health care.

In a statement, the Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions said while decriminalization does not affect the ability of local governments to pass bylaws, it recommends that it be done in consultation with the local medical health officer.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It’s taken the prices on the black market and dropped them somewhat, and improved the quality of be found on the black market.

Not sure I would want to be the owner of one of these government approved marijuana stores at this point trying to compete with that, and they (Gov’t Pot Shops I mean) are everywhere!!!

When the government tells you what your minimum price can be and then what their taxes on that are going to be… and what your minimum wages to your staff are going to be, and then factor in the rent on your facility, and every other cost incurred in running any other business… I don’t think the profit margin is very much of anything.

It’s made the black market cheaper, faster, stronger, and more enterprising. “Why give your money to Justin when you can get more, better, for less, more conveniently?” Sort of thing.
Somehow - and Even I would not have suspected this would be the problem - but somehow the feds managed to make selling dope problematic and unprofitable.

It's just been a poor implementation and the legislation around it has been really badly thought out and excecuted and it has lead to some poor quality product.

This is British Columbia. Dope was practically legal here for decades and could be obtained with next to no effort - so it made no real difference in that respect. I don't think it stopped the street dealers much because they sell better product for less money'. And many deliver.

Education has also been a problem. People don't know much about the product in the stores and what the regulations are to protect them, etc. I can read about various boozes for hours but there's next to nothing about the dope in bc stores.

The whole thing turned out to be a bit of a nothingburger.
I like the fact I can grow my own instead of playing THC bingo at the stores.
OTTAWA — Onerous taxes and regulatory fees have made Canada’s legal cannabis sector unsustainable, industry representatives said Wednesday as they urged the Liberal government to make changes in the upcoming federal budget.

“Gov’t Policy made Drug Dealing both legal and unprofitable? I’m shocked I tells ya!!”

“Most of our top line goes right to the government and it’s making it uneconomic for businesses to continue,” said Margaret Brodie, acting CEO of Rubicon Organics, at a press conference on Parliament Hill organized by the Cannabis Council of Canada, which represents licensed producers and processors.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
OTTAWA — Onerous taxes and regulatory fees have made Canada’s legal cannabis sector unsustainable, industry representatives said Wednesday as they urged the Liberal government to make changes in the upcoming federal budget.

“Gov’t Policy made Drug Dealing both legal and unprofitable? I’m shocked I tells ya!!”

“Most of our top line goes right to the government and it’s making it uneconomic for businesses to continue,” said Margaret Brodie, acting CEO of Rubicon Organics, at a press conference on Parliament Hill organized by the Cannabis Council of Canada, which represents licensed producers and processors.
Yeash. We should legalize and let the gov't control and tax all hard drugs and murder. With their track record both would be gone in a few years.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

It wiping out the illegal, legal and grey area growers in the Kootneys.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You mean. . . long prison stretches for hard drug dealers and murderers?

Brilliant, Holmes!
Why on earth would you think that?? The gov't already controls the CRIMINAL element of those and we don't have long prison stretches for ANYONE.

No, what i said was legalize it. Just like we did with pot. Somehow the gov't managed to take one of the largest and most profitable and prolific "illegal'" things in the world (the canadian pot market) and by making it a gov't controlled legal thing they've run it entirely into the ground.

So i figure if they bring those same skills to murder and hard drugs they should both be eliminated entirely within 5 years or less :)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It wiping out the illegal, legal and grey area growers in the Kootneys.

That's nuts man. I've gotten some amazing bud from the Kootenays over the years. It would be a disaster if we lose those legacy craft growers. Only the govt can take an all but guaranteed money maker and turn it into shit.

The article hit the nail on the head too. The big corporate players rushed their low quality, low potency shit to market and nobody wanted it. So they dropped their prices so they wouldn't be stuck sitting on all of it. And the initial prices were fucking nuts. I remember looking at some product from Tokyo Smoke, the first and only store that was open in my city shortly after legalization. They were selling 3.5g pouches of some shit for $100. That's $800 an oz!
Things haven't improved a whole lot. The other day, just for shits and giggles, I decided to see what the pricing is like at the pot shops now. Saw some shit that was selling at $66 for 3.5g or north of $500/oz. Nnnnnope.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That's nuts man. I've gotten some amazing bud from the Kootenays over the years. It would be a disaster if we lose those legacy craft growers. Only the govt can take an all but guaranteed money maker and turn it into shit.

The article hit the nail on the head too. The big corporate players rushed their low quality, low potency shit to market and nobody wanted it. So they dropped their prices so they wouldn't be stuck sitting on all of it. And the initial prices were fucking nuts. I remember looking at some product from Tokyo Smoke, the first and only store that was open in my city shortly after legalization. They were selling 3.5g pouches of some shit for $100. That's $800 an oz!
Things haven't improved a whole lot. The other day, just for shits and giggles, I decided to see what the pricing is like at the pot shops now. Saw some shit that was selling at $66 for 3.5g or north of $500/oz. Nnnnnope.
Prices and suppliers vary greatly store to store . A store in Langley is always busy 3.5g anywhere from $25 to $ ? Plus tax