Curmudgeon caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phon

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Seeing drivers texting while driving, they are worse than drunks on the road.

Texting (and more!) banned in commercial trucks

** Later, power is being knocked out, we are under a sever weather alert right now.. **

I'll let you in on a little secret gleaned from personal experience 45 years ago (but don't tell MADD)-:)

Drunks are quite often safer on the road than sober drivers (for short distances only). Drunks concentrate more to compensate for their condition. (as those know full well who have driven home at 15 mph. with one eye closed) -:)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'll let you in on a little secret gleaned from personal experience 45 years ago (but don't tell MADD)-:)

Drunks are quite often safer on the road than sober drivers (for short distances only). Drunks concentrate more to compensate for their condition. (as those know full well who have driven home at 15 mph. with one eye closed) -:)

I think you meant stoned drivers.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Some of us can talk on a cell phone and not smash into a pole... common sense.

It really doesn't matter, the laws have to be directed at the lowest common denominator in these cases. Because while you're safely not driving into poles they can still t-bone you in a heartbeat.

But banning is a stupid idea though. Don't ban cell phones (hands free blue tooth okay) in cars, make the fine significant. I mean really ridiculously significant. Like $5000 first offense, $10,0000 second offense and so on. And include thing like putting on makeup while driving, reading the newspaper while driving, etc. Trust me, eventually it will all stop....because the chronic morons who never learn from their mistakes will eventually have to sell their cars in order to pay their fines....problem solved!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You're missing at least one component, just ban everything that could be harmful, that is unnecessary! Is that rocket science? -:)

Alcohol, cigs, cigars, pools, recreation, sports, unhealthy food ... what else Prof. Rocket? What other things would you like to take from us?

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Nope, drunk was my condition of choice! -:)
It's why as much younger people, we bought Chrylsers, Oldsmobiles and Lincolns, those fine stand-up hood ornaments gave you a forward sight to line up with the white line.

I've always wondered why things, that if done behind the wheel while taking your test would guarantee a fail on the spot, are suddenly acceptable after acquiring the license.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I`d rather drive with someone chatting on their bluetooth than someone who keeps looking at their passenger as they chat away.

Texting is a danger, but so is shoving a burger down or drinking coffee or changing stations

not everyone`s ability to concentrate on the road is equal

same with road speed...some can safely speed others have control problems within the limit

the old guy is unable to think rationally, he should be removed from the road...god only knows what other twisted logic he is applying to his world and imposing on those around him

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Car companies should come up with system where by no cell phone works inside the vehicle while the vehicle's drive is engaged. There could be a hands free docking station which would/could override it.

They could give reduced insurance rates to drivers willing to have such firmware installed in their vehicle.

Drivers who talk on their cell phones while driving and are not using hands free are extraordinarily selfish. There are absolutely no conversations that important.

Maybe they should institute a road side suspension along with the fines for people caught talking/texting while driving.

I think the curmudgeon should have taken public transport instead, if he was so worried about his safety.

Where have you been hiding for the last decade? Almost all cars come equiped with handsfree cell service.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I`d rather drive with someone chatting on their bluetooth than someone who keeps looking at their passenger as they chat away.

Texting is a danger, but so is shoving a burger down or drinking coffee or changing stations

not everyone`s ability to concentrate on the road is equal

same with road speed...some can safely speed others have control problems within the limit

the old guy is unable to think rationally, he should be removed from the road...god only knows what other twisted logic he is applying to his world and imposing on those around him
Just back from T.O.
While I was driving there someone texted me; While I was driving, I used Bluetooth voice command to call him, he was at work where a phone call was not convenient......too bad.... texting was not convenient for me.....I did all that without taking my hands off the wheel, or my eyes off the road......While that was happening, my GPS was warning me of a coming turn down the road and I had to lower the volume on the radio speaker so I could listen to the instruction.......with all the controls on the steering wheel...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Where have you been hiding for the last decade? Almost all cars come equiped with handsfree cell service.

Where have I been for theast decade? What decade is it? What the hell else have I missed?

K, I've got to fess up. I'm not sure what you mean. My car didn't come with it and its a 2010 model.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Rob?

Where have I been for theast decade? What decade is it? What the hell else have I missed?

K, I've got to fess up. I'm not sure what you mean. My car didn't come with it and its a 2010 model.

You haven't missed much, just an option you can buy if you're rich and don't mind being ripped off. (The last option I got on a vehicle was white walled tires) -:)