Curmudgeon caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phon

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
you know what should be banned?

Repackaged AquaVelvet

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I miss Drakkar Noir.....actually I think I just miss being 19...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My transport driving son, while coming up I 81, was passed by a guy in a car, driving while...........READING A BOOK !.............(bout 10 years ago)

Later saw the guys car imbedded in a rock cut or overpass.........forget which.........

Really belongs in the Darwin thread.......

Really think drivers should concentrate on driving. Life's hard enough.
I had my daughter and three of her friends (bridesmaids) all texting and making cell calls - so I just hit the brakes for the hell of it - just so they knew I was there on the job

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My transport driving son, while coming up I 81, was passed by a guy in a car, driving while...........READING A BOOK !.............(bout 10 years ago)

Later saw the guys car imbedded in a rock cut or overpass.........forget which.........

Really belongs in the Darwin thread.......

Really think drivers should concentrate on driving. Life's hard enough.

Perhaps he was reading the drivers manual.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Banning swimming would help as well.

Fatty foods ban, alcohol ban... those would make us all safe too.

Some of us are able to differentiate between common sense and nonsense and others are just f**kin' lost and would be best just to refrain from getting into the discussion! -:)

I had my daughter and three of her friends (bridesmaids) all texting and making cell calls - so I just hit the brakes for the hell of it - just so they knew I was there on the job

After checking the rear view mirror of course! -:)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Some of us are able to differentiate between common sense and nonsense and others are just f**kin' lost and would be best just to refrain from getting into the discussion! -:)

Some of us can talk on a cell phone and not smash into a pole... common sense.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Some of us can talk on a cell phone and not smash into a pole... common sense.

I can't even talk to a passenger in the car and drive to a pre arranged destination. I can drive (never been in an accident in which I was driving)but I have troubles getting to the destination. I end up on the road to work or to the store. A couple times we ended up at the lake (which was a better destination then what we have planned before leaving the house, but still...)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't even talk to a passenger in the car and drive to a pre arranged destination. I can drive (never been in an accident in which I was driving)but I have troubles getting to the destination. I end up on the road to work or to the store. A couple times we ended up at the lake (which was a better destination then what we have planned before leaving the house, but still...)

The safest drivers are the ones who recognize their limitations. I know I can't guarantee that I can drive safely while talking on the phone. What it boils down to is it's impossible to think of two or more things at the same time.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
B.F.D. can you avoid a kid who comes rolling out on a skate board between two parked cars?

Can you?

Even with mouth shut eyes wide open and no cell phone within a hundred miles you can't blame distraction for every bit of stupidity that happens in the vicinity of a moving vehicle

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
B.F.D. can you avoid a kid who comes rolling out on a skate board between two parked cars?

Can you!

I bet if I had both hands on the wheel and a kid comes out between two parked cars and I hit the breaks the dumb azz is STILL going to get hit!

Ban skate boards.

The safest drivers are the ones who recognize their limitations. I know I can't guarantee that I can drive safely while talking on the phone. What it boils down to is it's impossible to think of two or more things at the same time.

Well no kidding.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Can you?

Even with mouth shut eyes wide open and no cell phone within a hundred miles you can't blame distraction for every bit of stupidity that happens in the vicinity of a moving vehicle

There's no guarantees but I think my chances are better when I'm expecting just such an event to happen, which is hard to do while nattering on a phone.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ban skate boards.

You got that right. My house is on a street that's on about a 15% grade and as I was starting out on my walk a few days ago a kid come wheeling past on his skate board doing about 30 mph. I would estimate. What would have happened to that kid had he hit a pebble in the road? or alternatively what would have happened to me had I been blind and walking with a white cane? -:)

Well no kidding.

You'd think so, but how many people don't? -:)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You'd think so, but how many people don't? -:)

Back to what I said earlier... start banning everything that COULD be harmful... you just can't be sure.

There's no guarantees but I think my chances are better when I'm expecting just such an event to happen, which is hard to do while nattering on a phone.

Are you using a hand brake?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Personally, I could give a sh*t if the fella next tome is talking on the phone... however, I would suggest they use a headset.

Texting while driving.. for trucker drivers and their employers fines as high as $2,750 for truck drivers and up to $11,000 for employers who allow or require drivers to use a mobile device.

I think they need to increase those fines..

Seeing drivers texting while driving, they are worse than drunks on the road.

http://www.michiganautolaw.com/blog/2013/12/14/texting-banned-commercial-trucks/

** Later, power is being knocked out, we are under a sever weather alert right now.. **