Atheism: The reasons for it.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Quite right, Vereya. Unfortunately you are describing Muslims as well as Christians here.
And why are you leaving Atheists out of this, these sort of actions don't need a book, (ironically that say NOT to do these things so I'm not sure why you would call them Christians), human nature more than covers these actions without any though of them being 'God approved', your god would have to be Satan.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
it's not a bunch of gibberish it's the truth..:x

How would you know?

Seriously, how in hell would you know?

All you do is quote the quran. You don't even know if it was written by an evil jinn. You just quote it and say "see it say it not evil," which means nothing because evil lies. You need a better reason to know it's not gibberish.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
And why are you leaving Atheists out of this, these sort of actions don't need a book, (ironically that say NOT to do these things so I'm not sure why you would call them Christians), human nature more than covers these actions without any though of them being 'God approved', your god would have to be Satan.

a person, like myself, who is a 'non believer', is just that, and we would never have a god,
or a devil, there is no such thing. Satan is just as ridiculous a myth as any god.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
talloola,

I think the religious live in a black and white world whereas the non-religious live in the gray areas (much greater spectrum of thought and life experiences)... and never shall the twain meet.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
a person, like myself, who is a 'non believer', is just that, and we would never have a god,
or a devil, there is no such thing. Satan is just as ridiculous a myth as any god.

Well said. The mistake religious people make is that they regard Atheism as another religion, just as religious people worship God; presumably Atheists worship something called ‘not God’ or ‘non God’.

That is total nonsense. Atheism does not have a Prophet or a Messiah, it does not have a Holy Book, it does not have a set of beliefs and creed, it does not promise rich reward for Atheists and does not threaten with eternal damnation, eternal torture to non believers in the afterlife (like Christianity, Islam do) or in this life (like Communism, Nazism do).

Indeed, there are many similarities between Christianity, Islam and Communism, Nazism. Communism, Nazism may be properly considered as religions. Atheism does not meet any of the criteria of religion, Atheism is just the belief that God does not exist, that what we see is all there is.

Another misconception (propagated by religionists) is that Atheists hate God. Yeah, right. Atheists hate God the same way they hate Santa Claus, Easter Bunny or the Great Pumpkin. All four are mythical figures and should be treated as such, a kind of amused indulgence, amused contempt, rather that love or hate.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
talloola,

I think the religious live in a black and white world whereas the non-religious live in the gray areas (much greater spectrum of thought and life experiences)... and never shall the twain meet.

I agree with your point, but the thought of living in the gray area leaves me a little insecure,
it seems like floating somewhere inbetween reality and religion, reality is more my style,
both feet on the ground, (brown/green area?;-)), or clear area, where we can see forever,
a feeling of freedom and peace.
I don't suit gray, not the right complexion, I'm more of a cool color person.;-)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You can believe anything you want about even death, that doesn't mean it will hold up.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Proof please.

Please no links or quotations, just undeniable truth that theses things exist.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
talloola,

I was going with the black and white metaphor thing but, yes, in reality the spectrum is much more colourful. god, nature, universe, reality are all aspects of the same thing if you don't assign them a graven image (idols).

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That what exists, death? Ever wonder why it is a natural reaction for every living thing to do everything in their power to avoid it?

Yeah, I have wondered just that, by making up silly things that will happen to you when
you die, go somewhere, then come back and live again, go to heaven, go to hell, what
silly makebelieve stories, 'just to stay in denial' that actual death occurs, and one is
finished living, and will remain dead forever, it's really very simple.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
That what exists, death? Ever wonder why it is a natural reaction for every living thing to do everything in their power to avoid it?

The answer is simple; it is the instinct of self preservation that is built into each end every living creature. It is built in by Darwinism; there is nothing mystical about it. If members of a particular species did not have the instinct of self preservation, that species will die out.

Evolution and natural selection saw to it that everybody has a built in instinct of self preservation (and preservation of species), everybody is afraid of death.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Yeah, I have wondered just that, by making up silly things that will happen to you when
you die, go somewhere, then come back and live again, go to heaven, go to hell, what
silly makebelieve stories, 'just to stay in denial' that actual death occurs, and one is
finished living, and will remain dead forever, it's really very simple.
In your humble opinion.

The answer is simple; it is the instinct of self preservation that is built into each end every living creature. It is built in by Darwinism; there is nothing mystical about it. If members of a particular species did not have the instinct of self preservation, that species will die out.

Evolution and natural selection saw to it that everybody has a built in instinct of self preservation (and preservation of species), everybody is afraid of death.
Except man, he will kill when there is no threat to his life. I'm not sure that this even holds true for the really aged people, I am quite sure that some welcome death just because their bodies no longer work like they remember.
Everybody will avoid things that cause pain even if it is not something that will cause death, isn't that what everybody is trying to avoid, pain. If you don't die in your sleep there is usually some sort of pain involved before death.