Atheism: The reasons for it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
MHz

Sin is just a mechanism to scare people into obeying the priesthood and the ruling class. There is no sin, only instant karma - for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It is a simple law of physics. It teaches one to treat others as they would be treated. The 10 commandments are just practical applications of karma. just good advice, not commandments that have to be adhered to or there will be dire consequences (religious fear mongering).

You know MHz, it is really hard to take someone seriously that uses a Halloween symbol to represent themselves. Maybe you should find one more life affirming. It might improve your dispossition.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yes, right. Because there is no such thing as a sin. There are right things to do, and wrong things to do. Right things bring good consequences, wrong things bring bad consequences. Good consequences make your life happy, bad ones make it unhappy. That's it. There's no need to struggle. Why fight an invisible enemy, when you know what is good for you, and what's not?

Sin is in the eye of the beholder. What constitutes sin varies from pale to place, from person to person, even within the same religion.

Thus, some Muslims consider alcohol as sinful, while some others have no problem drinking alcohol. Some Muslims go even one step further and consider drinking grape juice to be sinful (since that is a precursor to wine), or handling grapes which are destined for the winery as sinful. Others have no such qualms.

In Christianity, interracial marriage was considered sinful at one time (especially in the Bible Belt of USA). Men growing their hair long, women dressing provocatively (if anything below a woman’s neck is showing, she is dressed provocatively), these are considered sins by some Christians. Still some others consider working on Sunday to be sinful

When I lived in Britain, they had a Lord’s Day Observance Society; it was committed to passing laws banning all public activities on Sunday (shopping, restaurants, movies, plays etc.). To them, these activities were sinful on a Sunday.

So in my opinion, sin means nothing. I draw a distinction between legal and illegal. Or I look at consequences of an action. If consequences are undesirable, that means the act, the deed is undesirable. Thus the (social and health) consequences of drinking to access are undesirable, so it is to be avoided, even though legal. However consequences of homosexuality (if practiced properly) and not undesirable, hence homosexuality is nobody’s business.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
then your god ( jesus ) go to bathroom !!!???

ahmadman,

He even had sex!!!! Doesn't that fry your brain?

Cliffy, no!!! Incidentally, so did Mohammed, I think he had three or four wives. Imagining Jesus having sex is like imagining one’s parents (or Bush or Obama) having sex. On one level you know it happens, but on antler level, it sounds gross and disgusting.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
What is it called when you do an act that you end up apologizing for, most people would say that happens after you do something wrong. Doing something 'wrong' is committing a sin. You even defined it yourself but just refuse to allow 'being wrong' to be called a sin.

It's more complex. One and the same thing can be good or bad in different circumstances. And sins for you are always bad, regardless of the situation they were committed in.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It's more complex. One and the same thing can be good or bad in different circumstances. And sins for you are always bad, regardless of the situation they were committed in.

Quite right, Vereya, that is why the concept of sin is meaningless. One must look at consequences of any action and from that decide if certain action is desirable or not, rather than trying to decided if something is sin or not.

What is sin in your eyes may not be sin in my eyes. What may not be sin in Canada may be considered sin in USA and so on.

ahmadabdalrhman

Electoral Member
Sep 14, 2008
www.watchislam.com
Cliffy, no!!! Incidentally, so did Mohammed, I think he had three or four wives. Imagining Jesus having sex is like imagining one’s parents (or Bush or Obama) having sex. On one level you know it happens, but on antler level, it sounds gross and disgusting.

WE THE MUSLIMS DO NOT SAY PROPHET MUHAMMAD he IS THE GOD THEN IT'S EASY HE EAT the food and LIVE HE LIFE LIKE HUMAN

BUT CHRISTIAN SAY ( Jesus ) THE GOD
he EAT THE FOOD AND he is live LIKE HUMAN THERE THE problem

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
WE THE MUSLIMS DO NOT SAY PROPHET MUHAMMAD he IS THE GOD THEN IT'S EASY HE EAT the food and LIVE HE LIFE LIKE HUMAN

BUT CHRISTIAN SAY ( Jesus ) THE GOD
he EAT THE FOOD AND he is live LIKE HUMAN THERE THE problem

Jesus is not God...Jesus is the Son of God. After his ascension to heaven he sits at the right hand of his Father(God). Christians do NOT say that Jesus IS God.

and you're right, Mohamed was just a prophet, unlike Jesus who is the savior as foretold by the prophets of the OT. Mohammed's decision not to recognise Jesus as such was his loss and yours.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Atheism for is real believers.
You know, the ones that believe in reality not:
"Survivor Crucifix: How to Conduct Yourself to Benefit the Church and State""

Poquas

Feb 28, 2008
Christians do NOT say that Jesus IS God.

There are a large number of evangelical sects that DO say Jesus is God.

Of course that argument has as much relevance as arguing about the tooth fairy.

Other than the Christian following, there is yet to be any proof the person called Jesus ever existed. There is all kinds of historical and archaeological evidence for most of the major characters in the New Testament, but for some reason the title character is always missing in action.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
wonderfull... but hat's not what the NT says and that's not what Jesus said.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think your right, however, I think also those children wouldn't have the skills to ward of the virus of belief later in life. I doubt they would become fanatics but it is their children who would get the worst of it. I think we are best served by inoculating our children against wish thinking. Teach them how to think rationally and logically then take them to churches, mosques and synagogues; take what you heard and dissect it, analyze it with them and demonstrate to them what it really is. Ask them if they would like to live like that, if there is something wrong with pork, if they think there is a hairy thunderer in the sky watching there every move, etc.. In the event a child is slow then make fun of religion, deride it and do parodies of it. They might not understand why religion isn't good but they will avoid it anyway. When they need an argument they will remember one of your jokes. IMO Monty Python did wonders in helping people break the spell.

I suppose there is a point to what you say, but I think there are so many other productive
and positive things in the world to do, why sit around trying to analyze and figure out
religion, when they have been bought up without any knowledge of it, they could read
about it, like we read about aliens and boogie men, and walt disney, and enjoy it like
the fiction it is, but give their energy to 'real' constructive projects in their world.