Atheism: The reasons for it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Sahih International: Say, "He is Allah , [who is] One,
Sahih International: Allah , the Eternal Refuge.
Sahih International: He neither begets nor is born,
Sahih International: Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

That somewhat fits the description of the universe. The lone eternal one without peers.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
alleywayzalwayz, some of the reasons given by you do make sense (e.g. exclusivism of Christianity, hypocrisy of Christians etc.).

However, the main objection to existence of God is scientific. I like to consider myself to be the man of science. Scientifically, concept of God is meaningless.

One problem is reproducibility; the experience of God is not reproducible. An individual may pray and have a ‘God’ experience. However, if he prays at some other time, he may not have the same experience, he may not experience anything at all (Christians put this down to the possibility that second time around; his prayer may not have been sincere enough). Also, one individual may have ‘God’ experience by praying. However, another individual may pay in exactly the same manner and not experience anything. Thus I could pray until kingdom come and not experience anything. Any concept that is not reproducible is meaningless as far as science is concerned.

Another problem is that the concept of God cannot be tested scientifically. Existence of God cannot be proved or disproved scientifically. What is more, I cannot conceive of any series of experiments that will either prove or disprove existence of God.

So concept of God is meaningless as far as science is concerned, and therefore is meaningless as far as I am concerned.

ahmadabdalrhman

Electoral Member
Sep 14, 2008
www.watchislam.com

Sahih International: Say, "He is Allah , [who is] One,
Sahih International: Allah , the Eternal Refuge.
Sahih International: He neither begets nor is born,

Sahih International: Nor is there to Him any equivalent."​

-------

That somewhat fits the description of the universe. The lone eternal one without peers.

Sahih International: Then He directed Himself to the heaven while it was smoke and said to it and to the earth, "Come [into being], willingly or by compulsion." They said, "We have come willingly."

Tafsir Ibn Kathir - Quran Tafsir

(9. Say: "Do you verily disbelieve in Him Who created the earth in two Days And you set up rivals with Him That is the Lord of all that exists.'') (10. He placed therein firm mountains from above it, and He blessed it, and measured therein its sustenance in four Days equal for all those who ask.) (11. Then He rose over (Istawa ila) the heaven when it was smoke, and said to it and to the earth: "Come both of you willingly or unwillingly.'' They both said: "We come willingly.'') (12. Then He completed and finished their creation (as) seven heavens in two Days and He made in each heaven its affair. And We adorned the nearest (lowest) heaven with lamps (stars) to be an adornment as well as to guard. Such is the decree of Him, the Almighty, the All-Knower.)

Sahih International: And thus did We show Abraham the realm of the heavens and the earth that he would be among the certain [in faith]

Tafsir Ibn Kathir - Quran Tafsir

(74. And (remember) when Ibrahim said to his father Azar: "Do you take idols as gods Verily, I see you and your people in manifest error.'') (75. Thus did we show Ibrahim the kingdom of the heavens and the earth that he be one of those who have faith with certainty. ) (76. When the night overcame him he saw a Kawkab. He said: "This is my lord.'' But when it Afala, he said: "I like not those that set.'') (77. When he saw the moon rising up, he said: "This is my lord.'' But when it set, he said: "Unless my Lord guides me, I shall surely be among the misguided people.'') (78. When he saw the sun rising up, he said: "This is my lord. This is greater.'' But when it Afalat, he said: "O my people! I am indeed free from all that you join as partners in worship with Allah.) (79. Verily, I have turned my face towards Him Who has created the heavens and the earth, Hanifan, and I am not of the idolators.'')

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Namecalling in this thread or in any regular forum won't be tolerated.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think the real reason is just that religious stories don't ring true to some of us. I mean come on!!! A talking snake, a burning bush, a guy living in the belly of a whale, another guy building a boat and getting a male and female of every species to get on and procreate, a virgin giving birth.... you could swap those stories in with fairy tales like jack and the bean stalk and no one would notice the difference.

I would call myself an agnostic, not an atheist for the same reason I couldn't call myself a Christian. I just think it's arrogant for a human being to assume they know all of the answers to spiritual questions. Christians aren't any more knowledgeable than buddhists, sihks, jews, muslims, agnostics or atheists. None of these people possesses any special powers that allows them to know things they can't know like what happens when we die, what life means, etc.

What a pleasure and a treat to read such common sense, and a realistic approach to
life in regard to god or no god, sometimes I feel very alone in my replys, 'not right now'.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I think the real reason is just that religious stories don't ring true to some of us. I mean come on!!! A talking snake, a burning bush, a guy living in the belly of a whale, another guy building a boat and getting a male and female of every species to get on and procreate, a virgin giving birth.... you could swap those stories in with fairy tales like jack and the bean stalk and no one would notice the difference.

I would call myself an agnostic, not an atheist for the same reason I couldn't call myself a Christian. I just think it's arrogant for a human being to assume they know all of the answers to spiritual questions. Christians aren't any more knowledgeable than buddhists, sihks, jews, muslims, agnostics or atheists. None of these people possesses any special powers that allows them to know things they can't know like what happens when we die, what life means, etc.

What a pleasure and a treat to read such common sense, and a realistic approach to
life in regard to god or no god, sometimes I feel very alone in my replys, 'not right now'.

Took the words right outta my mouth, both of you.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Namecalling in this thread or in any regular forum won't be tolerated.

I got mad - sorry.

On other threads Islam has been clearly demonstrated as an ideology of hatred yet the advocates insist on covering that up and promoting it! I just can't help but have a horrendously outraged reaction to that.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I got mad - sorry.

On other threads Islam has been clearly demonstrated as an ideology of hatred yet the advocates insist on covering that up and promoting it! I just can't help but have a horrendously outraged reaction to that.

Scot Free, I don’t agree with you that Islam is an ideology of hatred. No doubt it can be used a such (but so can the Bible), but that doesn’t mean that it advocates hatred. Like most religious books, it advocates everything. Same as Bible, Koran advocates love as well as hate, compassion as well as torture, ‘love thy neighbour’ as well as ‘kill thy neighbour’.

It is upto Christians or Muslims which interpretation they choose to adopt. Thus, mother Teresa is considered a Christian, also people like Pat Robertson (or people like MHz, or gerryh, who think it is their Christian duty to insult anybody who disagrees with them) and abortion clinic bombers are considered Christian.

Same with Muslims. Most Muslims are people just like you or me, who want nothing more that to live their life peacefully. They are tolerant of others, they show compassion here it is warranted, they are kind and considerate to others etc.

Unfortunately, there is a small minority (around 10%, but that is way too many Muslims) who subscribe to terrorist beliefs, to extreme, violent, malevolent faiths such as Wahabism.

But it is not correct to say that Islam is an ideology of hate. Koran, like Bible is a very amorphous book, it says contradictory things at the same time. It is upto an individual what he makes of Koran.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
(or people like MHz, or gerryh, who think it is their Christian duty to insult anybody who disagrees with them)

Still up to the same old tricks I see. For the above to be true then some old post should have something that indicates I promote bad language from Christians when addressing (especially) Atheists.
Please provide such a link because I am accusing you of being a big fat liar....again. Maybe you should let it go before it gets to be more than you anticipated.

Proverb:14:5: A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.
Proverb:19:5: A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall not escape.
Proverb:19:9: A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall perish.

Proverb:25:18: A man that beareth false witness against his neighbour is a maul, and a sword, and a sharp arrow.

Proverb:25:19: Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
The Quran and Bible both call for killing of unbelievers.

It is an inescapable reality that according to the believers their god has ordered them to do so, regardless of whatever messages of peace may be found there.

We've witnessed in other threads here people of Islam condoning the killing of apostates from Islam.

True they are likely part of the marginal group of 10% of fundamentalists Muslims, but this is what we are shown of their beliefs, and paints a pretty damn ugly picture.

Just one more reason for me to believe that it is all a crock of ****.

If their god is said to be omniscient, then he would have known that to include mesasges of hate in the scripture would have been destructive to his world and his worshippers.

Of course the Old God would have reveled in the slaughter, the New God is impotent, and the God of Islam swings both ways.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Just one more reason for me to believe that it is all a crock of ****.

Vanni, I agree with you on this. However, it is important not to paint all the Muslims or all the Christians with the same brush. There are hate mongers and good, decent people in all the religions.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Please provide such a link because I am accusing you of being a big fat liar....again.

MHz, only a liar? Surely you have accused me of much worse things than that, are you losing your touch, are you going soft? Your God will never forgive you if you don’t insult an Atheist like me at every opportunity you get.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy or Leprechauns either, does that really mean that I do...:roll:

I'm not arguing that the tooth fairy is an omnipotent, personal force, that gave us reason. So whatever reasons we have not believe in such things, like the tooth fairy, doesn't presuppose them.

The universe is as unreasonable as not...there's just as much chaos as order...

If your willing to admit that there is some order in the universe, and we know that nature(blind, impersonal force) causes disorder, where did the original order come from?

Reason is looking at a problem from several different perspectives, and choosing the one that fits best according to the evidence available.

Yup. :smile:

What atheism has done is defeat theism soundly...

philosophically, theism sucks ass...

I'll try harder, I swear!

...science explains how the world works far better than religion ever had, or ever will...

Agreed. Science explains god's creation very well....except the whole marcoevolution thing.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
That is insulting, as we, here on earth, do not need anyone but our parents when we are children, and as we go through life we can care for each other just fine, naturally know right from wrong, as we can challenge each other in that department, the idea that 'avoiding' the possibility that anything is morally prohibited is also insulting,
Morality either good or bad, is amongst all of us, believers or non, doesn't matter.

Hey talloola,

First of all, I would like to apologize. I didn't mean to be insulting. I should have anticipated the objection that I was accusing atheists of having a lower sense of morals. There's so much reading, debating, and posting going on, its hard for me to go into real great length, and say exactly what I mean.

Here's the truth. I know that you guys don't have lower morals than believers. In fact, I know that the same sense of right and wrong that lies in me, lies in you.

I want to explore this at length, so I'll take it to the Does God Exist? thread... later...:smile:

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hey talloola,

First of all, I would like to apologize. I didn't mean to be insulting. I should have anticipated the objection that I was accusing atheists of having a lower sense of morals. There's so much reading, debating, and posting going on, its hard for me to go into real great length, and say exactly what I mean.

Here's the truth. I know that you guys don't have lower morals than believers. In fact, I know that the same sense of right and wrong that lies in me, lies in you.

I want to explore this at length, so I'll take it to the Does God Exist? thread... later...:smile:

OK, no harm done, thanks for explaining.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
You disappoint me. There are others I'd expect such sophistry from, but I hoped you might be smarter than that. Religion is not the source of ethics and morality. There are something over 600 prescriptions for correct behaviour in the Old Testament, many of which are currently illegal in civilized societies, and there are things in the New Testament about those laws still being in force, but no modern society enforces them. It's in Matthew I think, that statement from Jesus about not one jot or tittle of the law passing away until he returns. Even when we have a supposedly divinely inspired document that defines correct behaviour, we pick and choose among the rules given. Religious justifications for ethics and morality are just post hoc rationalizations of existing conditions.

Hi Dex,

I don't want to disappoint you, but the truth is, there is a lot more to this argument, mainly being the question of mortality(as mentioned to talloola). Do I think religion is the source of morality? Not at all. Religion is man-made and has many faults. What is the source?

There is a lot to your above statement that I would like to respond to, not to mention other members statements. I was actually going to do this tonite, but alas, something has come up. I gotta log off for the nite in a few here, but rest assured, I'll be back to debate.

I'm glad to see the Does God Exist? thread is now under the philosophical sub-forum. After you mentioned it, I thought maybe we should have two threads, same topic. One for discussion on scientific discussions, the other philosophical. But this works.

Anywayz, talk to you later Dex! :smile:

Last edited: