Americans are depressed and suicidal because something is wrong with our culture

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
BC didn't even start replanting until 1969. Quite often the clear cuts are burned to a cinder, then replanted. After 30 years they get pecker poles that you might get 1 2X4 out of before it is sent to the chipper for pulp. Idiots around here (taxslave for one) blame the tree huggers for the downturn in the forest industry when, in fact, it is over harvesting and shipping raw logs to China and Japan. Most of the saw mills closed a decade or so ago. Poor governance and corporate practices - just plain stupidity.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
In 1920 when the power and paper company was allocated their timber limits the Ontario government of the time must have put certain specifications.
In 1947The company established a permanent nursery. Growing trees since 1947 | Kapuskasing Times

The problem with a lot of the tree huggers like the one I saw in Temagami is that the majority of them don't know anything about what they are protesting and do damage when they put spikes in trees etc...

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Why does the Media keep linking suicide to mental illness? Just because you off yourself doesn't automatically mean you are mentally ill.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Suicide is often a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Why does the Media keep linking suicide to mental illness? Just because you off yourself doesn't automatically mean you are mentally ill.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Eg. What does a person do who is falsely accused of pedophilia?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
With the size and age of the trees in BC, I'm sure it would take a lot longer than the 25/ 30 years it takes here for the next harvest
The company here started reseeding in the 20's....
I'm sure with the size and age of the trees in BC it wold take a whole lot longer!

About 60 - 80 years in B.C.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The problem with a lot of the tree huggers like the one I saw in Temagami is that the majority of them don't know anything about what they are protesting and do damage when they put spikes in trees etc...

If the f**king protestors were serious about improving things they could put their names in the hat to run for MLA/MP in the next election which would put them in a position where they might really accomplish something besides polluting the air with their whining!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Mostly because of the excessive tax burden they face to provide all the freebies for freeloaders on the left.

https://thenarwhal.ca/cortez-island-different-vision-forestry-british-columbia/

A very informative article with a sensible plan for the future...

Yeah we will eventually have to surface to buy some weed and burgers...
:)
but they do deliver these days you know

Its the stone age now get with it pops!

There is a mountain of bullshit in that article. Which is to be expected considering the source.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
a lack of structure in my life as I was freelancing as a consultant while I tried to determine what I wanted to do next with my career.
I was in an emotional free-fall, so I visited a psychiatrist.
Try having kids. If you didn't have structure, schedule or a goal in life they will keep you focused for a couple decades.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Personally i think these Euthenasia Bills have served to normalize, institutionalize and even sacrilize suicide.

It used to be considered a disgrace to one's family; an admission of failure and defeat; a 'coward's way out'.. not to mention a mortal sin that puts one's salvation in jeopardy. Now its become something one considers as a benign meditation. A valid response to life's challenges.

Just look at the way we've glorified, justified and empathised with suicides of Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade.. as if they were acts of courage and individual affirmation. But ook at the pain and confusion they left in their wake, especially for their children. It is the sign of the morbidity, meaninglessness and hopelessness that now pervades the Western zeitgeist.

Unfortunately it will the weakest and least resolute who will be its casualties.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Personally i think these Euthenasia Bills have served to normalize, institutionalize and even sacrilize suicide.

It used to be considered a disgrace to one's family; an admission of failure and defeat; a 'coward's way out'.. not to mention a mortal sin that puts one's salvation in jeopardy. Now its become something one considers as a benign meditation. A valid response to life's challenges.

Just look at the way we've glorified, justified and empathised with suicides of Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade.. as if they were acts of courage and individual affirmation. But ook at the pain and confusion they left in their wake, especially for their children. It is the sign of the morbidity, meaninglessness and hopelessness that now pervades the Western zeitgeist.

Unfortunately it will the weakest and least resolute who will be its casualties.

What possible business could it be of yours if somebody in another country kills himself?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Try having kids. If you didn't have structure, schedule or a goal in life they will keep you focused for a couple decades.

And too poor to think of anything else.

Mortal since is a religious construct.
I can only speak for myself on this: If I was diagnosed with a terminal disease with a long and painful period of dying I would simply mixed up a hot load of something good and end the problem.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
And too poor to think of anything else.

Mortal since is a religious construct.
I can only speak for myself on this: If I was diagnosed with a terminal disease with a long and painful period of dying I would simply mixed up a hot load of something good and end the problem.

Somebody's gotta do it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
... or from your country, for that matter ... as long as they don't splatter themselves on your doorstep ...

One of the problems with our society's phobias about suicide,people often pick messy means of leaving that some of us are left to clean up and try to explain.
Been to 2 so far, one exhaust in a car that was a tad ripe but otherwise OK and a swinger that had been up for about 10 days in the heat. NOT pretty.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One of the problems with our society's phobias about suicide,people often pick messy means of leaving that some of us are left to clean up and try to explain.
Been to 2 so far, one exhaust in a car that was a tad ripe but otherwise OK and a swinger that had been up for about 10 days in the heat. NOT pretty.

If they were smart they'd pick something imaginative like some 25 year old knock out's jealous husband! :lol: