Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Gun parts found 'artfully concealed' in peanut butter at JFK airport
The peanut-butter gun made the TSA's list of its top 10 unusual finds from 2022

Author of the article:Washington Post
Washington Post
Marisa Iati
Published Jan 02, 2023 • 2 minute read

Security officers at a New York airport found themselves facing a nutty situation this holiday season: Gun parts buried in jars of sticky peanut butter.

The discovery at John F. Kennedy International Airport came Dec. 22, when a checked bag triggered an alarm during the screening process. A Transportation Security Administration officer removed two jars of Jif peanut butter from the luggage and found parts of a disassembled .22 caliber handgun – including a loaded magazine – wrapped in plastic and hidden inside, the agency said.

“The gun parts were artfully concealed in two smooth creamy jars of peanut butter, but there was certainly nothing smooth about the way the man went about trying to smuggle his gun,” John Essig, the TSA’s federal security director for JFK Airport, said in a statement.

The TSA said it flagged Port Authority Police, which confiscated the gun parts from the Terminal 8 baggage screening room. Officers found the bag’s owner, a Rhode Island man, in the terminal and arrested him. The man, whom the statement did not identify, faces a financial civil penalty of up to roughly $15,000 for trying to bring an undeclared weapon onto a flight, the TSA said.

The peanut-butter gun made the TSA’s list of its top 10 unusual finds from 2022, an eclectic rundown that includes a gun in a raw chicken.

The Rhode Island man’s arrest happened on one of most hectic travel days of the year, when 2.3 million people passed through TSA checkpoints and security officers were unusually busy. Holiday air travel was up slightly from 2021 and dramatically higher than in 2020, when the coronavirus pandemic caused many people to pump the brakes on taking mass transit.

The peanut butter incident also reflects a rise in undeclared guns found at security checkpoints last year. The TSA said it had intercepted 6,301 firearms as of Dec. 16, surpassing the previous annual record of 5,972 guns found in all of 2021. Nearly 90 percent of the firearms discovered last year were loaded.

To try to stem the surge, the TSA recently increased its maximum penalty for gun violations by roughly $1,000, to reach $14,950. The agency says it determines the fine in each case based on specific circumstances. If the person has TSA PreCheck, which enables passengers to opt into a less onerous security process, the TSA also revokes that status for at least five years.

Travelers are allowed to bring guns in their checked luggage if the firearms are unloaded, packed in a locked, hard-sided case, and declared at the relevant airline’s check-in counter, according to the TSA. The same rules apply to replica guns. The TSA also advises travelers to check their airline’s specific firearm policies and the laws on each side of their trip.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Gun parts found 'artfully concealed' in peanut butter at JFK airport
The peanut-butter gun made the TSA's list of its top 10 unusual finds from 2022

Author of the article:Washington Post
Washington Post
Marisa Iati
Published Jan 02, 2023 • 2 minute read

Security officers at a New York airport found themselves facing a nutty situation this holiday season: Gun parts buried in jars of sticky peanut butter.

The discovery at John F. Kennedy International Airport came Dec. 22, when a checked bag triggered an alarm during the screening process. A Transportation Security Administration officer removed two jars of Jif peanut butter from the luggage and found parts of a disassembled .22 caliber handgun – including a loaded magazine – wrapped in plastic and hidden inside, the agency said.

“The gun parts were artfully concealed in two smooth creamy jars of peanut butter, but there was certainly nothing smooth about the way the man went about trying to smuggle his gun,” John Essig, the TSA’s federal security director for JFK Airport, said in a statement.

The TSA said it flagged Port Authority Police, which confiscated the gun parts from the Terminal 8 baggage screening room. Officers found the bag’s owner, a Rhode Island man, in the terminal and arrested him. The man, whom the statement did not identify, faces a financial civil penalty of up to roughly $15,000 for trying to bring an undeclared weapon onto a flight, the TSA said.

The peanut-butter gun made the TSA’s list of its top 10 unusual finds from 2022, an eclectic rundown that includes a gun in a raw chicken.

The Rhode Island man’s arrest happened on one of most hectic travel days of the year, when 2.3 million people passed through TSA checkpoints and security officers were unusually busy. Holiday air travel was up slightly from 2021 and dramatically higher than in 2020, when the coronavirus pandemic caused many people to pump the brakes on taking mass transit.

The peanut butter incident also reflects a rise in undeclared guns found at security checkpoints last year. The TSA said it had intercepted 6,301 firearms as of Dec. 16, surpassing the previous annual record of 5,972 guns found in all of 2021. Nearly 90 percent of the firearms discovered last year were loaded.

To try to stem the surge, the TSA recently increased its maximum penalty for gun violations by roughly $1,000, to reach $14,950. The agency says it determines the fine in each case based on specific circumstances. If the person has TSA PreCheck, which enables passengers to opt into a less onerous security process, the TSA also revokes that status for at least five years.

Travelers are allowed to bring guns in their checked luggage if the firearms are unloaded, packed in a locked, hard-sided case, and declared at the relevant airline’s check-in counter, according to the TSA. The same rules apply to replica guns. The TSA also advises travelers to check their airline’s specific firearm policies and the laws on each side of their trip.
they should be locked up for wasting peanut butter. :( ;)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
U.S. Senate Democrats call for probe into 'JR-15' child-size rifle
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Gram Slattery and Diane Bartz
Published Jan 26, 2023 • 2 minute read

WASHINGTON — A group of prominent Democratic U.S. senators including Majority Leader Chuck Schumer asked the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on Thursday to open an investigation into a company they said is marketing a rifle to children.

In a press conference, the lawmakers questioned the marketing techniques of gun manufacturer Wee 1 Tactical, which produces the JR-15 .22 Long Rifle. The similarly named AR-15-style rifle has been used in a number of high-profile deadly shootings in the United States in recent years.

The senators’ request comes just days after a trio of mass shootings in California that killed 19 people. Earlier in the month, a 6-year-old boy with a handgun shot and seriously wounded a teacher in Virginia.

“The law says you shouldn’t be marketing guns to kids. But there’s a company in Chicago that’s doing just that,” Schumer said of Wee 1 Tactical.

Democrats have been attempting to tighten gun control measures in the United States for decades in a bid to tamp down frequent mass shootings. Republicans have largely opposed such measures, saying they infringe on the right to keep and bear arms enshrined in the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Congress last year passed its first significant gun-safety legislation in a decade. It included provisions that would help states keep guns out of the hands of those deemed to be a danger to themselves or others and close the so-called boyfriend loophole by blocking gun sales to those convicted of abusing unmarried intimate partners. However, it did not ban sales of assault-style rifles or high-capacity magazines.

The investigation request appears to fall outside the FTC’s normal purview. The regulator, which declined to comment, enforces antitrust law and rules against deceptive and unfair business practices.

Wee 1 Tactical did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The company’s website stresses child firearms safety and provides multiple links to safety resources.

“Our goal was to build a truly unique shooting platform that a Parent or Coach can safely use to teach a younger enthusiast,” reads a note on the company’s website. “The JR-15 is smaller, weighs less and has a patented safety.”

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Trudeau government’s now-aborted attempt to ban legal guns used by lawful hunters, farmers, ranchers and sports shooters is a textbook example of why it is not worthy of the trust of Canadians.

In November, without prior warning, it introduced a list of guns it intended to ban during a parliamentary committee — after it had completed hearing witnesses — that was considering Liberal legislation with a primary purpose to freeze handgun sales. That list contained guns the government classified as assault-style weapons, given that there is no legal definition of assault weapons in the criminal code.

Conservative, NDP, BQ and even some Liberals MPs, along with Indigenous groups and organizations promoting the safe and lawful use of guns, warned the government about what its amendments would do, but to no avail.

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino responded to the criticism that “the government has no intention — no intention whatsoever — to go after long guns and hunting rifles. And this is simply Conservative fearmongering.”

On Friday, the Trudeau government flip-flopped again and withdrew the amendments, essentially conceding that the Conservatives weren’t “fearmongering” about the issue and that the government’s many critics from across the political spectrum were right.

There’s no guarantee, of course, that the Liberals won’t attempt to do the same thing again in future, given their apparent obsession with going after legal gun owners, as opposed to urban street gangs shooting up Canadian cities using illegal handguns smuggled in from the United States.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
The Trudeau government’s now-aborted attempt to ban legal guns used by lawful hunters, farmers, ranchers and sports shooters is a textbook example of why it is not worthy of the trust of Canadians.

In November, without prior warning, it introduced a list of guns it intended to ban during a parliamentary committee — after it had completed hearing witnesses — that was considering Liberal legislation with a primary purpose to freeze handgun sales. That list contained guns the government classified as assault-style weapons, given that there is no legal definition of assault weapons in the criminal code.

Conservative, NDP, BQ and even some Liberals MPs, along with Indigenous groups and organizations promoting the safe and lawful use of guns, warned the government about what its amendments would do, but to no avail.

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino responded to the criticism that “the government has no intention — no intention whatsoever — to go after long guns and hunting rifles. And this is simply Conservative fearmongering.”

On Friday, the Trudeau government flip-flopped again and withdrew the amendments, essentially conceding that the Conservatives weren’t “fearmongering” about the issue and that the government’s many critics from across the political spectrum were right.

There’s no guarantee, of course, that the Liberals won’t attempt to do the same thing again in future, given their apparent obsession with going after legal gun owners, as opposed to urban street gangs shooting up Canadian cities using illegal handguns smuggled in from the United States.
Seems fairly obvious which group contributes the most to liberal election coffers.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

I still support some sort of Gun... something. What, I don't know.

But this BS from the Feds is just... no. Fuck off already.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario

I am not a gun person. I have no skin in this game.
I think gun ownership and use should be like vehicle ownership and use. In other words, have some sort of course, testing and licensing for the use of guns. If you misuse your car you get penalties, could be the same with guns. Caught without a license and you pay, hopefully big time. I am sure most legal gun owners would go along with this.
Oh wait, we pretty much have that now, don't we, except for the pay big time for misuse part.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

Most people do support some limitations. Almost everyone supports training. The current process for hand guns that we have had since the 1930s is somewhat overly restrictive today, but livable.
Criminals with guns is a bad idea. Why don't we concentrate our efforts there, instead of harassing law-abiding taxpayers for political purposes.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Most people do support some limitations. Almost everyone supports training. The current process for hand guns that we have had since the 1930s is somewhat overly restrictive today, but livable.

Pretty much.

Criminals with guns is a bad idea. Why don't we concentrate our efforts there, instead of harassing law-abiding taxpayers for political purposes.

How do you propose that then?

I always hear "If a criminal wants a gun, he can get it". Outside of gathering up all guns and destroying them (don't start, I know it's impossible), there's always a chance a criminal will get a hold of and use a gun illegally.

Registering weapons is a good idea; it lets cops know who has the guns, how many, and if one goes missing, what gun it is. IMO if that gun is then used in a crime by anyone not the owner, and the owner informed officers that it was stolen, then it absolves the owner of any link to the crime (again, providing proof it was stolen, reported, etc).

Beyond that... well at one point I did want to inherit my dad's guns, but considering the BS to do so now, I won't bother. They'll just go to the RCMP to dispose of or whatever. I don't hunt, my brother doesn't so that'll be the only real result for us.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Pretty much. How do you propose that then?
How ‘bout a stiff mandatory minimum sentence if a firearm is used in a robbery or an assault? That would be a good start. We’d just have to repeal Trudeau’s repeal on this.
I always hear "If a criminal wants a gun, he can get it". Outside of gathering up all guns and destroying them (don't start, I know it's impossible), there's always a chance a criminal will get a hold of and use a gun illegally.
Guns (handguns, etc…) continually flow illegally up across the US border. Make gun smuggling a severely spankable offence.
Registering weapons is a good idea; it lets cops know who has the guns, how many, and if one goes missing, what gun it is. IMO if that gun is then used in a crime by anyone not the owner, and the owner informed officers that it was stolen, then it absolves the owner of any link to the crime (again, providing proof it was stolen, reported, etc).
Yep. Also if there’s a record of the gov’t seizing a firearm, and destroying it, & then
It later turns up in a private unregistered collection or a crime scene…then there should be Hell to pay!!
Beyond that... well at one point I did want to inherit my dad's guns, but considering the BS to do so now, I won't bother. They'll just go to the RCMP to dispose of or whatever. I don't hunt, my brother doesn't so that'll be the only real result for us.

Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
How ‘bout a stiff mandatory minimum sentence if a firearm is used in a robbery or an assault? That would be a good start. We’d just have to repeal Trudeau’s repeal on this.

Guns (handguns, etc…) continually flow illegally up across the US border. Make gun smuggling a severely spankable offence.

Yep. Also if there’s a record of the gov’t seizing a firearm, and destroying it, & then
It later turns up in a private unregistered collection or a crime scene…then there should be Hell to pay!!

All good, reasonable, sound ideas that make more sense than what's out there now.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Pretty much.

How do you propose that then?

I would impose real penalties on criminals. No more catch and release. I would also bring back capital punishment for certain crimes.
as for your giving your dads guns to the RCMP because of the paperwork involved in keeping them, this is exactly what the government is trying to achieve. The problem is that not all of those guns are disposed of. The RCMP take home the ones they want. There have been some expensive guns handed in by unknowing people.
not convinced about the registration thing because of past government actions. Registration tends to lead to confiscation.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I would impose real penalties on criminals.
This works - when harper did that gun crime went down. Get caught with a gun shoved down your pants at a nightclub? 3 year minimum. Use a gun in a crime, big fat minimum sentance. etc. Then the courts struck that down and Justin hasn't gone to bat for it (in fact he's made their parole easier). And now we have escalating violent crime. When those kinds of laws are in place, criminals are afraid to get caught with a gun.

Modest basic safe storage laws and firearms training takes care of the vast majority of the accidents, to the point where it's not even worth thinking about any more.

Problem solved

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
…The problem is that not all of those guns are disposed of. The RCMP take home the ones they want. There have been some expensive guns handed in by unknowing people….
Not sure how I screwed up the quote below but I’ve heard of this too.
I too of heard several of these stories from people that I trust. Buy a house and a couple years later they go to renovate and find fire arms behind the walls in the basement…. Go to turn them in and they’re already turned in and destroyed on paper….yet there they are. That sort of thing.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This works - when harper did that gun crime went down. Get caught with a gun shoved down your pants at a nightclub? 3 year minimum. Use a gun in a crime, big fat minimum sentance. etc. Then the courts struck that down and Justin hasn't gone to bat for it (in fact he's made their parole easier). And now we have escalating violent crime. When those kinds of laws are in place, criminals are afraid to get caught with a gun.

Modest basic safe storage laws and firearms training takes care of the vast majority of the accidents, to the point where it's not even worth thinking about any more.

Problem solved
How about when you're an FBI agent showing off your moves on the dance floor (and drinking), and you do a super-cool flip and your weapon falls out of your waistband and goes off, hitting a bystander in the leg?

Bayern 4 - 2 Wolfsburg. Bayern's top of the table after a 26-hour stretch in 2nd place.

Reactions: The_Foxer

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I am not a gun person. I have no skin in this game.
I think gun ownership and use should be like vehicle ownership and use. In other words, have some sort of course, testing and licensing for the use of guns. If you misuse your car you get penalties, could be the same with guns. Caught without a license and you pay, hopefully big time. I am sure most legal gun owners would go along with this.
Oh wait, we pretty much have that now, don't we, except for the pay big time for misuse part.
Because it makes too much sense! Liberals don't care about common sense only what they perceive as threats from farmers & gun owners who have gone through rigorous checks & training. Forget the criminals - apparently they're too hard to catch & besides, we don't have enough cops to get them anyway & they'd be released from jail in a very short period of time. (tongue n cheeky LOL)

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
How about when you're an FBI agent showing off your moves on the dance floor (and drinking), and you do a super-cool flip and your weapon falls out of your waistband and goes off, hitting a bystander in the leg?

Bayern 4 - 2 Wolfsburg. Bayern's top of the table after a 26-hour stretch in 2nd place.
There is no excuse for an FBI agent to wear a gun while out drinking. That should get him/ her fired.

• Wow
Reactions: Dixie Cup