Omnibus: Conservative Leadership Race

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The party of law and order lol

Charest blasts Poilievre for supporting Freedom Convoy: 'Laws are not a buffet'

“Laws are not a buffet table, if you’re a legislator, from which you choose what you want. Because what you’re really saying to people is I’m above the law,” Charest added in a separate interview with CTV News.

“You can’t be a leader of a party and the chief legislator of the country, as prime minister, and support people breaking the laws. That disqualifies you.”

• Sad
Reactions: taxme

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

…..“Laws are not a buffet table, if you’re a legislator, from which you choose what you want. Because what you’re really saying to people is I’m above the law,” Charest added in a separate interview with CTV News.

“You can’t be a leader of a party and the chief legislator of the country, as prime minister, and support people breaking the laws. That disqualifies you.”
You also can’t continuously break Canadian laws in parliamentary ethics code and expect to be re-elected repeatedly but here we are?

Where are we on the Hauwei decision with respect the 5G now anyway, and why? Hmmm….What could influence stalling that decision (for Years!) that alienates our closest allies? What deal haven’t we heard of yet here? Where there’s political smoke in Canada, there’s usually a Liberal stench to accompany it, like burning diapers in the dumpster fire of Trudeau’s aura.

Where are we at with the Chinese Scientists out of the Winnipeg Bio-Lab & the parliamentary committee of inquiry on that situation, & why? What’s going on there that needs to be swept under the rug like SNC-Lavalamp or a WE Charity debacle? “Sorry Jody, but under the bus for you. Give my schoolmates a legal pass or suffer the consequences of not treating laws like a buffet table with a heaping helping of Laurentian elite corruption.”

Laws are not like a buffet table to be picked and chosen from. Of all the protests that have disrupted commerce and the flow of goods and peoples and the economy (cough…), how many had the nuclear option of the Emergencies Act thrown at them, & why?

Do you see the theme here? Which party, of the current choices we have, would be the best choice & voice of law & order if such a thing exists? The Liberals? The NDP that was so disgusted by the Liberals that they joined them? Lizzie May and her party of herself & probably someone else (?) who’s most memorable situation in parliament in recent memory is objecting to the use of the word “fart.” The Bloc ‘cuz Quebec is renown for its anti corruption stance (?) and its looking out for the interests of Canada as a whole?

Charest is a Quebec Liberal dragged out to use as a noisy puppet-like distraction and so far it’s reflected in the support he’s seeing in the party he’s trying to speak for. What seat in federal parliament does he represent again?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Chinese labs? Huawei?

Is this the stuff Conservatives need to lean on now?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You're comparing apples and oranges.

These are matters that are currently under judicial consideration.

The trucker convoy was a blatantly illegal act that Peepee supported.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You're comparing apples and oranges.

These are matters that are currently under judicial consideration.

The trucker convoy was a blatantly illegal act that Peepee supported.
Railway blockades that Trudeau supported through his inaction (as the Prime Minister of Canada, and not as a member of the opposition), where does that fit in your condemnation? Does that get a hypocritical pass or do you also have an issue with that?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
As for Poilivere, I'll believe what leader he is if he's in and hear what his ideas are officially for the party as a whole when NOT trying to get top dog slot for a party.
I agree with you there. Campaigning in a room full of conservatives and campaigning on a mixed federal front would need two completely different strategies. If he does win the party leadership I'm interested in what his federal shtick would sound like. The last two elections have shown that winning the popular vote isn't near enough, he'll have to make some inroads into tradtionally liberal territory, like the seat-rich urban areas. This was O'Toole's downfall, he did okay playing the hardliner for the leadership campaign, but when he softened his delivery to attract centrists from the liberal side of the fence it pissed off a lot of the hardliners within the party who felt betrayed. When O'Toole started flip-flopping to keep them happy he looked weak in front of the swing vote. Poilievre faces a similar dilemma, play the populist libertarian or the milf-mannered centrist.

Reactions: Serryah

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I agree with you there. Campaigning in a room full of conservatives and campaigning on a mixed federal front would need two completely different strategies. If he does win the party leadership I'm interested in what his federal shtick would sound like. The last two elections have shown that winning the popular vote isn't near enough, he'll have to make some inroads into tradtionally liberal territory, like the seat-rich urban areas. This was O'Toole's downfall, he did okay playing the hardliner for the leadership campaign, but when he softened his delivery to attract centrists from the liberal side of the fence it pissed off a lot of the hardliners within the party who felt betrayed. When O'Toole started flip-flopping to keep them happy he looked weak in front of the swing vote. Poilievre faces a similar dilemma, play the populist libertarian or the milf-mannered centrist.
A bite out of the Liberals, a slice the le Bloc and a bowl of Dipper sauce makes a full meal deal.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

Charest blasts Poilievre for supporting Freedom Convoy: 'Laws are not a buffet'

“Laws are not a buffet table, if you’re a legislator, from which you choose what you want. Because what you’re really saying to people is I’m above the law,” Charest added in a separate interview with CTV News.

Apparently, he's not aware that there were no laws broken until they were created by government. It is not against the law to peacefully protest so he needs to get his crap together - he's telling lies, just like the Liberals do.