Omnibus: Conservative Leadership Race

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That bolded part right there, I think that is a LOT of the problem.

The Western "We're being shit on cause we're the West" complex and people in the East are as tired of hearing it as I'm sure the West is tired of the East taking advantage of the West.
I really should modify my vocabulary. As weird as this sounds, at least mentally, I think of the Maritimes as “The Maritimes” and Ontario & Quebec as “Eastern Canada” and thus my usage. I mentally categorize them as two different things. I think of “Western Canada” as MB & SK & AB & BC (with the exception of Vancouver which is its own bizarre planet out on its own tangent).
I honestly wonder if perhaps there are more people who are more we should use more Canadian Oil for Canadian usage than are vocal, but saying so, especially from "the east" you're looked at as a supporter of the West and somehow that equals the whole Western Ideology (social stuff like anti-LGBTQ, 'racist', etc).
Whoa, what? Western Ideology social stuff like anti-LGBTQ & being Racist? Really?

That’s kind of like saying Eastern Ideology social stuff like living on EI, being blind drunk on Screach, and raping Alter Boys. I don’t believe or endorse this viewpoint, but I’m trying to offer perspective on the above Western Ideology social stuff comment, in a “Where the Fuck is that coming from?” Sort of way…

If I thought you where commenting in jest, I’d laugh along with you ‘cuz stereotypes are kind of funny in pointing back in history to the way “people” use to think in days gone by, but you’re not joking are you?

Just because somebody resides in the same nation as you, but resides in an area generally west of you (or does it start west of Ontario?), it doesn’t mean they’re automatically racists and/or anti-LGBTQ, anymore that all Black guys are hung like farm animals or all Asians can’t parallel park their cars.
Considering Saudi sends oil to us here in NB to get refined, then back to them, yeah it sucks Higgs' minuscule dick to do that and we SHOULD be using Canadian Oil for Canadian usage, but I don't see that changing and it's not to do with the West, moreso it's to do with perception of the oil that'd be sent this way, and the social push to 'be better' environmentally.
…& where does that idea “of the perception of the oil that’d be sent that way (I’m assuming you mean from an area of Canada generally west of you somewhere?), and the social push to ‘be better’ Environmentally” (?) come from?
NO ONE honestly is promoting Canadian oil for Canadian usage.

And they won't.

Because I think it's political suicide if they try it, at least while on campaign. And if we bypass Quebec, that puts us into the pocket of the US for X amount of pipe mileage, which is not something people want either.
I understand what you’re saying, and by going through the Port of Churchill on the northern route keeps that oil out of the pocket of the US for X amount of pipe mileage, and out of the US political winds like Line5….& please tell me what “people” want? Out this way, we’re still “people,” or at least we consider ourselves to still be “people,” and I hear what they want, as I am a product of that desire and mentality.

I am honestly promoting Canadian oil for Canadian usage (& not in Papa Trudeau’s twisted vision of it with nationalization).

What movement & demonization made oil from that region of Canada generally to the west of The Maritimes & Eastern Canada political suicide? I am not being facetious and this is an honest question. It had to come from somewhere…
Honestly when it comes to oil, I think Canada is fucked.
Honesty, me too, and it’s a self created problem because we drank the Kool-Aid promoted from the outside (of Canada) that sold the idea that Canadian Oil (and the Canadian “people” involved in its extraction) that our extremely highly regulated industry is somehow worse than the rest of the planet. Hook, line, and economic sinker.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I really should modify my vocabulary. As weird as this sounds, at least mentally, I think of the Maritimes as “The Maritimes” and Ontario & Quebec as “Eastern Canada” and thus my usage. I mentally categorize them as two different things. I think of “Western Canada” as MB & SK & AB & BC (with the exception of Vancouver which is its own bizarre planet out on its own tangent).

I agree on the Vancouver thing.

But every time I hear "The East", yes I know it means Ontario and Quebec, but if I bring up the Maritimes, it's either we're lumped in with them, or totally forgotten about. I think it just gets so annoying in the end that a lot of the time there is nothing 'east' of Ontario or Quebec.

When you said that bolded part, I figured you were half-joking but half-serious. The thing is, there are a lot of others in the West who absolutely believe this, that the rest of Canada is "out to get the West" somehow, and I meant my reply to be a reaction to that ideal. I just didn't explain it as best I could; sorry 'bout that. Considering how many from my area do go out West to work and live, I don't think we're 'out to get' anything there, and I think a lot of people here are truthfully jealous that at least the west gets more attention - or least seems like - because of it's oil and how important it is. Here, we're at best seasonal jobs, we don't have 'steady' and 'big important' like the West does and for me I look at that as a failing of our governments in all our provinces who refuse to look at other ways to bring in big money makers.

Whoa, what? Western Ideology social stuff like anti-LGBTQ & being Racist? Really?

That’s kind of like saying Eastern Ideology social stuff like living on EI, being blind drunk on Screach, and raping Alter Boys. I don’t believe or endorse this viewpoint, but I’m trying to offer perspective on the above Western Ideology social stuff comment, in a “Where the Fuck is that coming from?” Sort of way…

If I thought you where commenting in jest, I’d laugh along with you ‘cuz stereotypes are kind of funny in pointing back in history to the way “people” use to think in days gone by, but you’re not joking are you?

Actually I did mean it in the stereotype way but also think that yeah, that stereotype is so much a 'thing' that there are a good chunk of the population who believes the West is anti-GLBT+ and racist. I'm not saying we're not here - cause we are, there are bigots and racists everywhere - but my point was that I think more people would support the West and Pro Canada Oil if they didn't think THEY would be labelled in that same stereotypical way.

Just because somebody resides in the same nation as you, but resides in an area generally west of you (or does it start west of Ontario?), it doesn’t mean they’re automatically racists and/or anti-LGBTQ, anymore that all Black guys are hung like farm animals or all Asians can’t parallel park their cars.

No. It doesn't. As I said, people are people and we've racists and bigots here too. That said, there is a misconception that this is "a thing" and a big one, if you do come from the West. And I think that perception hurts. As much as the "If you're from the East you're freeloading Government suckholes and if you're from the Maritimes you are drunk all the time and live off EI.

Though to be fair, there is a bit in truth in that too, thanks to us mostly being seasonal workers...

…& where does that idea “of the perception of the oil that’d be sent that way (I’m assuming you mean from an area of Canada generally west of you somewhere?), and the social push to ‘be better’ Environmentally” (?) come from?

There's a dominant perception that Alberta oil is bad, worse than 'regular oil' that'd come from Saudi. Tar Sands oil is horrible, and if you're pro-supportive of it, you're anti environmentally friendly. It's one reason, I think, WHY there's such a hate for sending Western oil to us at, say, Saint John where we've the refinery.

Personally, as environmentally conscious as I want to be and try to be, I'd STILL prefer that 'dirty oil' than Saudi, for a lot of reasons.

I understand what you’re saying, and by going through the Port of Churchill on the northern route keeps that oil out of the pocket of the US for X amount of pipe mileage, and out of the US political winds like Line5….& please tell me what “people” want? Out this way, we’re still “people,” or at least we consider ourselves to still be “people,” and I hear what they want, as I am a product of that desire and mentality.

I hear conflicting things from 'people'. If you're in the West, it's a push to use our own oil for stuff and screw the East (Ontario and Quebec). From others, they hate Western oil and would rather see it stay in the ground.

I think in the Maritimes, it's a conflict because we've had so many go work the oil fields, and some stay there, and there's huge support for the West in that way. But we also have a LOT of 'greenie' types that push the no pipeline agenda.

I think it's such a contentious issue there is no resolving it.

I am honestly promoting Canadian oil for Canadian usage (& not in Papa Trudeau’s twisted vision of it with nationalization).

And I'm with you on that.

What movement & demonization made oil from that region of Canada generally to the west of The Maritimes & Eastern Canada political suicide? I am not being facetious and this is an honest question. It had to come from somewhere…

I think it comes with the idea that Tar Sands oil is fucking horrible and we shouldn't be doing a damned thing with it, leave it in the ground. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter, there's enough divide about it that even those who live in Saint John are split on whether a West-East pipeline should be a thing. And then you have that seasonal worker thing; a lot of our revenue and employment is based on natural resources and there's a fear a pipeline would destroy that. Hell, there's issues still with boats in the Bay because of whales and such.

So in that later respect, politicians in this region have to be careful about the whole 'oil from the west' issue.

Honesty, me too, and it’s a self created problem because we drank the Kool-Aid promoted from the outside (of Canada) that sold the idea that Canadian Oil (and the Canadian “people” involved in its extraction) that our extremely highly regulated industry is somehow worse than the rest of the planet. Hook, line, and economic sinker.

I agree with you on that too and I admit I was one of them. But now I just am, at most, divided about it that really it doesn't matter so much, I'd prefer our "dirty" Tar Sands stuff to the crap from Saudi because I cannot stand Saudi Arabia and the choke hold it has on so much.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I agree on the Vancouver thing.

But every time I hear "The East", yes I know it means Ontario and Quebec, but if I bring up the Maritimes, it's either we're lumped in with them, or totally forgotten about. I think it just gets so annoying in the end that a lot of the time there is nothing 'east' of Ontario or Quebec.

When you said that bolded part, I figured you were half-joking but half-serious. The thing is, there are a lot of others in the West who absolutely believe this, that the rest of Canada is "out to get the West" somehow, and I meant my reply to be a reaction to that ideal. I just didn't explain it as best I could; sorry 'bout that. Considering how many from my area do go out West to work and live, I don't think we're 'out to get' anything there, and I think a lot of people here are truthfully jealous that at least the west gets more attention - or least seems like - because of it's oil and how important it is. Here, we're at best seasonal jobs, we don't have 'steady' and 'big important' like the West does and for me I look at that as a failing of our governments in all our provinces who refuse to look at other ways to bring in big money makers.

Actually I did mean it in the stereotype way but also think that yeah, that stereotype is so much a 'thing' that there are a good chunk of the population who believes the West is anti-GLBT+ and racist. I'm not saying we're not here - cause we are, there are bigots and racists everywhere - but my point was that I think more people would support the West and Pro Canada Oil if they didn't think THEY would be labelled in that same stereotypical way.

No. It doesn't. As I said, people are people and we've racists and bigots here too. That said, there is a misconception that this is "a thing" and a big one, if you do come from the West. And I think that perception hurts. As much as the "If you're from the East you're freeloading Government suckholes and if you're from the Maritimes you are drunk all the time and live off EI.

Though to be fair, there is a bit in truth in that too, thanks to us mostly being seasonal workers...

There's a dominant perception that Alberta oil is bad, worse than 'regular oil' that'd come from Saudi. Tar Sands oil is horrible, and if you're pro-supportive of it, you're anti environmentally friendly. It's one reason, I think, WHY there's such a hate for sending Western oil to us at, say, Saint John where we've the refinery.

Personally, as environmentally conscious as I want to be and try to be, I'd STILL prefer that 'dirty oil' than Saudi, for a lot of reasons.

I hear conflicting things from 'people'. If you're in the West, it's a push to use our own oil for stuff and screw the East (Ontario and Quebec). From others, they hate Western oil and would rather see it stay in the ground.

I think in the Maritimes, it's a conflict because we've had so many go work the oil fields, and some stay there, and there's huge support for the West in that way. But we also have a LOT of 'greenie' types that push the no pipeline agenda.

I think it's such a contentious issue there is no resolving it.

And I'm with you on that.

I think it comes with the idea that Tar Sands oil is fucking horrible and we shouldn't be doing a damned thing with it, leave it in the ground. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter, there's enough divide about it that even those who live in Saint John are split on whether a West-East pipeline should be a thing. And then you have that seasonal worker thing; a lot of our revenue and employment is based on natural resources and there's a fear a pipeline would destroy that. Hell, there's issues still with boats in the Bay because of whales and such.

So in that later respect, politicians in this region have to be careful about the whole 'oil from the west' issue.

I agree with you on that too and I admit I was one of them. But now I just am, at most, divided about it that really it doesn't matter so much, I'd prefer our "dirty" Tar Sands stuff to the crap from Saudi because I cannot stand Saudi Arabia and the choke hold it has on so much.
Not bad. The west does not have tar sands though. That is a lie pushed by the oil spitters. California has has sands, and they extract oil from them.
BTW anything East of Hope is back east.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
"Clean, responsible oil and gas."

Remove the gatekeepers to leave a clear path for throwing the environment under the bus. It's the Conservative way. All on board the Good Ship PeePee.

Aw, phuk the environment. It's all bullshit. The environment can look after it's own self. I am too busy these days in trying to forget and get away from that phuking bullshit called covid. Covid then, environment now, and what's next? Aliens attacking from outer space? Hey, we never know, eh? Whatever our dreamy eyed politicians, the media, and the globalists can think up next to get us all uptight and going again. Some people's kids. They never seem to learn anything at all. They just keep falling for the same lying bullshit all the time. What a bunch of pathetic losers. (n)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Leona Alleslev officially enters Conservative leadership race
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Apr 06, 2022 • 14 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
In this Oct. 10, 2019 file photo, Leona Alleslev is pictured at her campaign office during the federal election. (Veronica Henri/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
In this Oct. 10, 2019 file photo, Leona Alleslev is pictured at her campaign office during the federal election. (Veronica Henri/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
Article content
OTTAWA — Former Conservative deputy leader Leona Alleslev has officially entered the party’s leadership race.

Advertisement 2
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Alleslev, who lost her Greater Toronto Area seat in last year’s federal election, unveiled her plans at a Parliament Hill news conference Wednesday afternoon.

She did so standing alone behind a microphone, save for reporters and several of her team members who were in the room.

Despite her low-key launch, Alleslev said her campaign has a solid foundation. She denied that she was going to have to play catch-up to the other candidates in the race, who for weeks have been criss-crossing the country selling memberships and campaigning with supporters.

Candidates have until April 29 to submit all the necessary signatures and pay $300,000 in fees to appear on the ballot. They have until June 3 to sign up new members.

“Simply because I chose to wait until now to announce doesn’t mean that I haven’t been doing all of the work that the other candidates have been doing,” she said.

Advertisement 3
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“I am not behind.”

Alleslev, a former logistics officer in the Air Force who then worked in the private sector, is one of 11 people who have declared they want to replace former leader Erin O’Toole in the Conservative party’s top job.

The race was triggered after O’Toole was ousted by a majority caucus vote in early February.

Among the contestants Alleslev faces is former colleague and Ottawa-area MP Pierre Poilievre, whose recent rallies have attracted thousands, generating buzz about the level of momentum behind his message of “freedom.”

Poilievre’s campaign has also taken to accusing fellow candidate and former Quebec premier Jean Charest as being a Liberal for having led the Quebec Liberal Party.

Unlike Charest or any other candidate in the race, Alleslev was first sent to Parliament Hill as a Liberal MP in 2015 before she crossed the floor to join the Conservatives in 2018.

Advertisement 4
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Former leader Andrew Scheer then appointed Alleslev to be the party’s deputy leader. She stepped down from the role to help Peter MacKay, the ex-leader of the federal Progressive Conservatives, try to win the party’s leadership in 2020.

On Wednesday, she defended her Liberal history by stating that she made her decision to cross the floor based on principle.

“In order for (Conservatives) to be successful in an election, to win a majority government, we need a lot of other people to make the same choice that I did,” Alleslev said.

The former MP also declined to identify why she thinks she lost her seat in last fall’s federal election, saying there were a number of reasons.

“Even the best candidate can only do so much in an election. They actually also need a strong party and a strong leader.”

In terms of policy, Alleslev raised concerns about the federal government’s level of spending and its national carbon price. In her launch speech, she also spoke about how Canada needs to better support its military and the country’s resource sector.

She was set to attend a meet and greet in Ottawa Wednesday evening.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Poilievre-mania? The surprisingly large crowds flocking to the Tory front-runner

As Poilievre becomes more popular, I am pretty sure that the leftist liberal Canadian media will be looking for something to attack and mock him on. The Canadian lefty media does not want any conservative like guy to be allowed to run for the leadership of the conservative party. They will say that this guy looks and sounds too conservative, and he must go. The attacks and mocking should happen very soon, if I know my lying Canadian media. Sadly, there are many idiots out there that will believe their bloody leftist lies. When the Canadian media attacks and mocks anyone, then they should know by now that the person that they are attacking has something that they do not want me and you to know about or support. I will always go the reverse to what the lying Canadian says about anything or anyone. Works for me. (y)

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
WOW! 🔥 Canadians know that Pierre Poilievre is the man to save us from Trudeau.

View attachment 13120Only if Poilievre can get to be the PM before punk Turdeau destroys this once great country called Canada forever and turns it into a Marxist country. After all, dictator Turdeau has three more years to end all freedoms and rights in this country. The dictator may even try and rig the election in his favor next time, again. Hey, we never know, eh? :unsure: