Gun Control is Completely Useless.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Over half a century old here and I've never felt I needed a firearm to defend myself. And I've been in some pretty tough places and rubbed knuckles and chins with some pretty tough characters. I prefer bare hands or clubbing with whatever is handy at the moment. Yet I have a locker full of ammo, firearms, cleaning stuff, targets, etc. I kind of like not having to fill my freezer with storebought garbage or fend off a hungry cougar or bear(after the wife's chickens) with nothing but a stick or whatever.
If it came to the firearm being the only choice left besides being seriously injured or dead (me, family, or friends), I would shoot someone, though.
Like I said, it's the attitude, the perception, and the mishandling and misuse of firearms because of the attitudes that is the problem; not the guns themselves.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Less than 50, that is good I guess, unless you are one of the fifty. Not so good for them though, and hopefully they accidentally killed themselves and not some poor innocent.

I don't need the personal right to judge your competence on weapons possession. I do have a right to demand that the law ensure that you are stable enough to have your little arsenal and what you can do with it and when and that it is kept locked for SAFETY purposes.

I do have a right to safety and if that means keeping guns out of the hands of crazy old Fred down the street then so be it. You obviously think that you have a right to defend yourself and your co workers (although I would beg to differ) and why you think you would need to is a tad on the bizarre/paranoid side in most civilized areas of Canada anyway.

Wow!!

Let me say this for about the sixth time:

THERE IS NO RIGHT TO SAFETY.

Safety and liberty are mutually exclusive. You can live in a free society. You can never live in a safe one.....

Ah...you did see armoured car guards, didn't you??? Do you suggest we should simply offer ourselves up to the butchers because they want the money we handle???

I have no problem with getting a firearms license, I don't want whackos having guns any more than you.

"Civilized" is only an unrealized concept.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
"Wild west mentality" also means stuff like a man's word/handshake is his bond, it means you can leave your doors unlocked without fear of harm but by the same token if a man is stranded, lost hungry etc. he can help himself and repay the debt later without anxiety on either side.

doesn't sound all that wild, just honest and sincere.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
There was no concerted effort to exterminate the First Nations. Also, after 1874, the NWMP kept the peace. Yes, there were the Rebellions, but they paled in comparison to the American west.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

The wonderful Mr. Mark Steyn comments........

There are two possible resolutions: Gregory can call in a favor from some Obama consigliere who'll lean on the cops to disappear the whole thing. If he does that, he'll be contributing to the remorseless assault on a bedrock principle of free societies – equality before the law. Laws either apply to all of us or none of us. If they apply only to some, they're not laws but caprices – and all tyranny is capricious.

http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/gregory-381940-gun-laws.html

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Wow!!

Let me say this for about the sixth time:

Safety and liberty are mutually exclusive. You can live in a free society. You can never live in a safe one.....

The right to live in safety is a basic human right. As a woman it is something we have to be vigilant about since there are many countries in the world where this is not recognized especially in the ME, but as woman gain more power, that will change.

Ah...you did see armoured car guards, didn't you??? Do you suggest we should simply offer ourselves up to the butchers because they want the money we handle???
See it's this kind of illogical thinking that chills me at the thought of putting a high powered weapon into the hands of your average Joe. What does this have to do with gun control? Explain what I have said, that would induce you to make such a claim.
I have no problem with getting a firearms license, I don't want whackos having guns any more than you.
Okay now this seems logical to me and it would seem that we agree. Some people do not have the right to bear arms. Some people should be restricted.
"Civilized" is only an unrealized concept.
Actually the area where I live and the people that live around me are quite civilized. It's not a concept, it is a reality (in many places and amongst many people) most predominantly where human rights are recognized and equality is a reality.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The right to live in safety is a basic human right. As a woman it is something we have to be vigilant about since there are many countries in the world where this is not recognized especially in the ME, but as woman gain more power, that will change.

Bremusa

Nominee Member
Dec 29, 2012
The world is not a safe place.
A government that cannot commit itself to our personal safety is no government at all.
Most police cases are closed after someone squeels on someone.
Police rely on stool pigions.
What does that say about to serve and protect?

Therefore allow me the right to own and carry protection against the worse possible scenario.
Who in government has the right to deny myself the right to live out my life and not have it taken away.

A gun is the best possible protection in a trained person's hand.

Unless of course the government can limit violent crime to nothing. Then maybe a whistle would be the case.

Bremusa

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
The world is not a safe place.
A government that cannot commit itself to our personal safety is no government at all.
Most police cases are closed after someone squeels on someone.
Police rely on stool pigions.
What does that say about to serve and protect?

Therefore allow me the right to own and carry protection against the worse possible scenario.
Who in government has the right to deny myself the right to live out my life and not have it taken away.

A gun is the best possible protection in a trained person's hand.

Unless of course the government can limit violent crime to nothing. Then maybe a whistle would be the case.

Bremusa

Of course a gun is not the greatest help during a car accident and there is a driver test, license and insurance., in these cases.
Those who want guns for protection need to fork out for the privilege.

Going to jail, directly to jail should be the result of getting caught with a unregistered, unlicensed firearm. The sentence for using a firearm in the commission of any crime should be two to three times that if the act was committed without a firearm. However, those using a gun while committing a crime in a state with the death penalty need not worry. Can't die more than once.

I love the newest fight now on about torture (water-boarding) and getting information. One constitutional amendment, the one restricting torture against the freedom of speech is interesting. Apparently the pentagon and law-enforcement are objecting the right of the press to publish information about the use of torture under the right to information act.

Next it will be freedom of the press to publish the names of registered gun owners, this is already in the works. Looks like an interesting year down here.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Of course a gun is not the greatest help during a car accident and there is a driver test, license and insurance., in these cases.
Already have, been there, done it....If you didn't selectively read my posts and to nitpick , you would know that
I've already passed all the qualifications, and am licensed to buy, non restricted, restricted and some prohibited, meaning I can legaly buy a pistol with less than four inch barrel lenght.
Needless to say, criminals do not worry about that :roll:
Going to jail, directly to jail should be the result of getting caught with a unregistered, unlicensed firearm. The sentence for using a firearm in the commission of any crime should be two to three times that if the act was committed without a firearm. However, those using a gun while committing a crime in a state with the death penalty need not worry. Can't die more than once.
It already is the law in Canada, plus, at any time the police can come to my house and legaly ask me to produce all the firearms I have registered, or have damn good reason, not to have it (eg; sent out for modifications or repair, for which you need legal paperwork)
I love the newest fight now on about torture (water-boarding) and getting information. One constitutional amendment, the one restricting torture against the freedom of speech is interesting. Apparently the pentagon and law-enforcement are objecting the right of the press to publish information about the use of torture under the right to information act.
Nice sidetraking and meandering....not even a good strawman..
Next it will be freedom of the press to publish the names of registered gun owners, this is already in the works. Looks like an interesting year down here.
Already been done, where have you been in the last week:roll:
Newspaper That Published The Names & Addresses of Gun Owners Hires Armed Guards | TheBlaze.com

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

See it's this kind of illogical thinking that chills me at the thought of putting a high powered weapon into the hands of your average Joe. What does this have to do with gun control? Explain what I have said, that would induce you to make such a claim.
Okay now this seems logical to me and it would seem that we agree. Some people do not have the right to bear arms. Some people should be restricted.
Actually the area where I live and the people that live around me are quite civilized. It's not a concept, it is a reality (in many places and amongst many people) most predominantly where human rights are recognized and equality is a reality.

The seventh time:

If there were, there could not be cars, or trucks, or buses, there could not be knives, there could not be matches, there could not be snow boards, there could not be cigarettes, there could not be alcohol, there could not be stairs, or ice cream, or beef, or sharpened sticks, or cleaners, or pencils, or , most importantly FREEDOM of any type, because all these things are DANGEROUS, and are a threat to your safety.

RIGHTs are limitations on the ability of gov't to rule. They always apply to individuals.

Collective rights are the antitheses of individual rights. The two can not coexist.

If you think women will change this, then our future is a hellhole of tyranny, a Nanny State gone mad, and the worst error ever made in western civilization was giving women the vote.

Ah well, the society you dream of, built on the Nanny-state and feminine values of collective rights could not exist long....it would be destroyed utterly by some male-dominated culture, and you will find yourself in a burqua, an education forbidden to you, bearing many little warriors for your Master.........and dreaming of liberty.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

SO how are things out there in lala land?