Nycole Turmel’s flirtation with sovereignty was not a secret.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Blue Lube, you saw me standin' alone
Without a dick in my arse, without a love of my own
Blue Lube, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me sayin' a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
You're late Nuggs....look at the posts below. :)

oh, and

2001 vs Last Tuesday.

Reformed vs Current.

Cognitive Bias of the Day: The Recency Effect Bias
The tendency to weigh recent events more than earlier events

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You're late Nuggs....look at the posts below. :)

oh, and

2001 vs Last Tuesday.

Reformed vs Current.
Con damage control. Do they pay you for this? Hypocrisy is hypocrisy no matter the stripe. And just because the communist parties of Russia and China were into killing millions of people, does not mean the Communist Party of Canada is.

But keep on doing what cons do best, deflect, blame and create fear.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Con damage control. Do they pay you for this? Hypocrisy is hypocrisy no matter the stripe. And just because the communist parties of Russia and China were into killing millions of people, does not mean the Communist Party of Canada is.

But keep on doing what cons do best, deflect, blame and create fear.

yeah, well, as I said.....I am not a fan of the disclaimers made by either party to this stuff.

Which does not at all change the facts.

Which are: Turmel was a BQ member in January. Turmel was a QS member last Tuesday. The QS is an offshoot of the communist party. Turmel needs to explain her current membership in separatist parties. She has no explanation, so the logical explanation is that she is both a separatist and a blatant liar. There is a huge gap between her federalist claims and the facts. The people that will eventually vote again in this country need to understand that.....as do the NDP members in her party.

The Conservative member left the BQ ten years ago. There is NO conflict between his claim to be a federalist and the facts.

That is the entire point.

BTW, Canadian neo-Nazis aren't currently murdering anyone either........that hardly absolves their political philosophy.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
yeah, well, as I said.....I am not a fan of the disclaimers made by either party to this stuff.

Which are: Turmel was a BQ member in January. Turmel was a QS member last Tuesday. The QS is an offshoot of the communist party. Turmel needs to explain her current membership in separatist parties. She has no explanation, so the logical explanation is that she is both a separatist and a blatant liar. There is a huge gap between her federalist claims and the facts. The people that will eventually vote again in this country need to understand that.....as do the NDP members in her party.

Look, all she needs to do to absolve your criticism is to behave as a federalist. It doesn't matter if she was a card-holding member 33 minutes and 3 seconds ago. If she is acting in such a manner that does not support Quebec sovereigntist ways, then you have no point.

And as already stated, she's been doing just that. If you want to remain neutral and non-partisan on this issue, you need to actually acknowledge the truth..

"I represent Canada. I am a federalist," said Turmel, sticking to a series of answers about what she called "a mistake."

Earlier in the day, Turmel said she backs the NDP position on federal support for the Lower Churchill hydroelectric megaproject, despite opposition from the Quebec government and many Quebec politicians.

"I support the request of Newfoundland on this issue. This is clear to me," said Turmel, referring to the Newfoundland and Labrador government's application for a federal loan guarantee to develop power at Muskrat Falls, on Labrador's Churchill River.

Turmel said she will put pressure on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to follow through with an election pledge to support the project. "At this point nothing is signed, so we need to make sure this [happens]," she said.

Turmel's Bloc ties questioned at Regatta - Politics - CBC News

Also, the criticisms laid to her have nothing to do with recency (and your persistent bias towards it). They were simply made based on the fact that she had a membership, so the glass house is broken.

Harper's statement was simply that he was disappointed with Nicole's bloc ties. He did not make any distinction between recent or old memberships. Therefore he should be just as disappointed with Lebel's Bloc ties if he wants to remain consistent.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

The Conservative member left the BQ ten years ago. There is NO conflict between his claim to be a federalist and the facts.

That is the entire point.

BTW, Canadian neo-Nazis aren't currently murdering anyone either........that hardly absolves their political philosophy.
That is your point. Bringing up neo-Nazis is a straw man.

Have you ever bothered to listen to or read what the Canadian commies have to say? They make more sense than the rest on a lot of issues (not that I would ever vote for them).

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Now that is food for thought....the thing I don't like about the Conservatives is that they used to be called "Progressive Conservatives" ...Seems that they haven't dropped the moniker completely.

That being said....I would never go prospecting with you....You would find a diamond and pass it over saying..."It's just an old piece of coal"......and you'd be right.......technically speaking:smile:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Now that is food for thought....the thing I don't like about the Conservatives is that they used to be called "Progressive Conservatives" ...Seems that they haven't dropped the moniker completely.

It's probably because they don't want to turn into Republicans.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It's probably because they don't want to turn into Republicans.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

That being said....I would never go prospecting with you....You would find a diamond and pass it over saying..."It's just an old piece of coal"......and you'd be right.......technically speaking:smile:
I'd rather not go back to wandering the Tundra for diamonds thanks.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Turmel vs. Lebel: their sovereigntist ties

For head-to-head comparison purposes, here's what we know about the past sovereigntist ties of interim NDP leader Nycole Turmel, and how they stack up against those of Transport Minister Denis Lebel:

How long were they members of a sovereigntist party?

Turmel held a Bloc membership for just over four years, from December 2006 until January 2011. She became an NDP candidate shortly afterwards. It's unclear exactly when Turmel became a member of Quebec Solidaire, but it only formed as a provincial political party in November 2006. Turmel did not give up her membership in the provincial party until it became controversial last week.

Lebel was a member of the Bloc for eight years, from July 1993 until April 2001. In the summer of 1993, the Bloc was fighting its first-ever federal election campaign, under then-leader Lucien Bouchard. (The party became the official Opposition that fall.) Lebel was still a Bloc member when he was elected mayor of Roberval in 2000.

Why were they members of a sovereigntist party?

Turmel says she took out a Bloc membership to 'support a friend': then-BQ MP Carole Lavallée. She says she agrees with some of the Bloc's policies, but not its position on national unity. When Turmel served as the head of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, the national federal civil servants' union endorsed Bloc Québécois candidates. Of Quebec Solidaire, Turmel told Rosemary Barton on Power & Politics that her support for the provincial party was based on the fact that "they work on issues for Quebec families." She says Quebec Solidaire spokesperson (the party does not have a leader in the traditional sense) Françoise David is also a friend of hers.

Lebel explains his Bloc membership as part of his political and community involvement more generally in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-John region of Quebec, a nationalist stronghold. He told Radio-Canada that he wanted to get closer to then-MP Michel Gauthier, who became the leader of the Bloc after Lucien Bouchard left to become premier of Quebec in 1996.

How active and committed were they to the sovereigntist cause?

Turmel says that despite her memberships and the small donations (totalling $235) she made in support of her friend Lavallée, she was never active in the sovereignty movement per se. Her past work as a national union leader did find her on common ground with the Bloc on other social and justice issues. She maintains that she is and always has been a federalist. Turmel has disclosed that she voted against separation in both of Quebec's sovereignty referendums.

Lebel says that despite his membership and small donations (a few hundred dollars), he never actively campaigned for the Bloc, although he did attend Bloc events and participate in partisan activities. A party organizer for the Bloc during that time period supports his claim not to have been a party activist or strong campaigner. Lebel told reporters in 2007 that he is a Quebec nationalist. Lebel has not disclosed how he voted in Quebec's sovereignty referendums.

Turmel vs. Lebel: their sovereigntist ties - Inside Politics

Pop Quiz for Colpy:

Which possible sovereigntist would you be more suspicious of?

One that reveals she voted against separation? Or the one that does not disclose how he voted in referendums at all?

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Most of the Conservatives used to be called Canadian Alliance.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Many years ago, the company I worked for had a four months job in Quebec, and to be able to work there, I had to join the Operating Engineers' Union Quebec branch.
At the time there were three separate organizations fighting for overseeing all the unions in Quebec and when joining a union you had to vote for one of them....
I had done my homework and voted for FTQ the one that won out in the end....and also paid $100 to join.

Guess that makes me a séparatiste and I can't run for member of parliament...

Most of the Conservatives used to be called Canadian Alliance.

Their actual name was "Progressive Conservative Party of Canada" fom 1942 to 2003.