Nycole Turmel’s flirtation with sovereignty was not a secret.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yes... Quite ... and a gossipy goose too. Can you provide a link verifying Turmel was anything more than a member of convenience?

Wolfie, that is simply ridiculous.

What is a "member of convenience"?,
She was a member of the BQ. Quit in January, stating that she did NOT disagree with their platform. I think that kinda says it all......but just for the kicker.....

She was STILL a member of the separatist, and largely communist, Quebec Solidaire......

All of which is fine, and if the NDP want to keep her.....great!

Sorry pal, as an alternative for Canadians, she condemned herself.......say good-bye to the NDP as a national party.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Member of convenience = joined to help a friend. It happens - even in the perfect little world of Conservatives. Ridiculous is grabbing the ball from some half-baked rambling in the Liberal Rag and spouting off as if it was proven fact. You can spin it into wool and knit a touque for all I care ... but don't spew gossip as fact.

BTW: The translated word is policies - not platform ... and policies is a lot of things

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Member of convenience = joined to help a friend. It happens - even in the perfect little world of Conservatives. Ridiculous is grabbing the ball from some half-baked rambling in the Liberal Rag and spouting off as if it was proven fact. You can spin it into wool and knit a touque for all I care ... but don't spew gossip as fact.

BTW: The translated word is policies - not platform ... and policies is a lot of things

No gossip........truth.

She was BQ....for FIVE years.....

She is still (as of her anointment) QS...much more serious......

You appear increasingly desperate in your defense of her.....and I don't understand why, if she has done nothing wrong (which she has NOT) you feel so obligated to defend her.....

Unless you realize the truth of my hypothesis......she can not be what she is, and be the credible leader of a moderate federalist party.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Desperate? See whatever you want. It's your delusion.

I had my Conservative membership card (the one I got to help out a friend) up until an ex did some house-cleaning a couple of years ago - and haven't even considered voting Tory since 1999....

willqccan

Nominee Member
Aug 7, 2011
Gatineau
I agree that someone's political beliefs can change over time and I think that Mrs. Turmel had the right to do it. I also was a sovereignist and changed my point of view just like her and I'm from Quebec so I totally understand her move, though I am more close to the conservatives than the NPD in my ideas.
Besides all that, it was a good opportunity for the PM to point his finger at her and say: "She was a sovereignist, that's baaaad", which has nothing to do with what she is doing now. The Bloc Quebecois was sacrificed by Quebec because the people were tired of this kind of contradiction (having a sovereignty party in Ottawa, Quebec finally sinked their own "failboat") and I don't think Mrs. Turmel will spam some "evil ideas" in the country because of her political past, she's working for canadians just like him.
What I don't like about this orange wave, is that most of the people voted for Layton instead of for their local candidates and now he's gone for a while so there's a big bunch who must be scratching their heads.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I agree that someone's political beliefs can change over time and I think that Mrs. Turmel had the right to do it. I also was a sovereignist and changed my point of view just like her and I'm from Quebec so I totally understand her move, though I am more close to the conservatives than the NPD in my ideas.
Besides all that, it was a good opportunity for the PM to point his finger at her and say: "She was a sovereignist, that's baaaad", which has nothing to do with what she is doing now. The Bloc Quebecois was sacrificed by Quebec because the people were tired of this kind of contradiction (having a sovereignty party in Ottawa, Quebec finally sinked their own "failboat") and I don't think Mrs. Turmel will spam some "evil ideas" in the country because of her political past, she's working for canadians just like him.
What I don't like about this orange wave, is that most of the people voted for Layton instead of for their local candidates and now he's gone for a while so there's a big bunch who must be scratching their heads.

Ahhhh....upon her designation of interim leader, she was still a member of Quebec Solidaire.........

Not only separatist, but communist as well.

The problem is that there is no "was", just is. :)

The PM did NOT point this out, the Toronto Star did.

I don't think she has done anything wrong, I just think she is a perfect example of why the NDP can never win a government in this country.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ahhhh....upon her designation of interim leader, she was still a member of Quebec Solidaire.........

I don't think she has done anything wrong, I just think she is a perfect example of why the NDP can never win a government in this country.
True.... That honour always seems to go to the better liar :p

willqccan

Nominee Member
Aug 7, 2011
Gatineau

Thank you for correcting me, I was thinking of the commentary the PM made about it which was similar to the Toronto Star article... I agree with you on your last sentence, I don't think it can be possible, at least not in a near future.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No gossip........truth.

She was BQ....for FIVE years.....

Tory Minister Lebel reveals past sovereigntist ties

Stephen Harper's transport minister was a member of the Bloc Québécois for 8 years

A member of Stephen Harper's cabinet from Quebec has confirmed his past association with the sovereignty movement.

Transport Minister Denis Lebel, who represents the riding of Roberval-Lac-Saint-Jean and also serves as the minister responsible for the Economic Development Agency for Quebec, has confirmed he was a member of the Bloc Québécois for eight years, from July 23, 1993 to April 28, 2001.

Lebel says he disclosed his past membership to the voters in his riding, and that he joined the BQ while he was active in community organizations in Roberval.

Although he was a member, Lebel denies being "active" in the Bloc, although he admits to participating in partisan activities and donating a few hundred dollars to the BQ's fundraising efforts.

"I've never done activism. Never, never, never," he insisted in a statement to Radio-Canada. Roberval is in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region of Quebec, an area well-known as a hotbed of Quebec nationalism. Former Bloc Québécois leaders Michel Gauthier and Lucien Bouchard represented this region.

"You know how it works in our region. When you're in the middle of things in Lac-Saint-Jean and you're president of just about everything that moves, you're often called by people," Lebel's statement explains. Lebel says part of the reason he joined the party was to have better access to Gauthier.

Alain Pelletier, who used to be a political organizer for Gauthier in the region, confirms that Lebel never really campaigned for the party. "Mr. Lebel has encouraged rather than fought. He was not really present in the organization," he told Radio-Canada.

Lebel insists that his commitment to Canada remains unequivocal.

"The choice I made is to represent Quebec in a large united country that is Canada," his statement reads.

Tory Minister Lebel reveals past sovereigntist ties - Montreal - CBC News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sovereignty eh?

Who will be appointed dictator for this so called "Global Governance" that Uncle Steve is talking about? A Global Govt would be elected.

If Uncle Steve doesn't lie, Ignazieff doesn't lie and Jack Lenin doesn't lie, which one is going to stop the double speak and say it flat out that you are ****ed?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Tory Minister Lebel reveals past sovereigntist ties

Stephen Harper's transport minister was a member of the Bloc Québécois for 8 years

A member of Stephen Harper's cabinet from Quebec has confirmed his past association with the sovereignty movement.

Transport Minister Denis Lebel, who represents the riding of Roberval-Lac-Saint-Jean and also serves as the minister responsible for the Economic Development Agency for Quebec, has confirmed he was a member of the Bloc Québécois for eight years, from July 23, 1993 to April 28, 2001.

Lebel says he disclosed his past membership to the voters in his riding, and that he joined the BQ while he was active in community organizations in Roberval.

Although he was a member, Lebel denies being "active" in the Bloc, although he admits to participating in partisan activities and donating a few hundred dollars to the BQ's fundraising efforts.

"I've never done activism. Never, never, never," he insisted in a statement to Radio-Canada. Roberval is in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region of Quebec, an area well-known as a hotbed of Quebec nationalism. Former Bloc Québécois leaders Michel Gauthier and Lucien Bouchard represented this region.

"You know how it works in our region. When you're in the middle of things in Lac-Saint-Jean and you're president of just about everything that moves, you're often called by people," Lebel's statement explains. Lebel says part of the reason he joined the party was to have better access to Gauthier.

Alain Pelletier, who used to be a political organizer for Gauthier in the region, confirms that Lebel never really campaigned for the party. "Mr. Lebel has encouraged rather than fought. He was not really present in the organization," he told Radio-Canada.

Lebel insists that his commitment to Canada remains unequivocal.

"The choice I made is to represent Quebec in a large united country that is Canada," his statement reads.

Tory Minister Lebel reveals past sovereigntist ties - Montreal - CBC News

Nice try, Mental floss, but there is a huge difference between 2001 and LAST TUESDAY. :)

We have no problem with EX separatists. :)

As I said repeatedly below, Turmel did nothing wrong.....but her RECENT and CURRENT membership in separatist parties will disqualify her for leadership in the eyes of Canadians. To say nothing of her membership in a political party that has as a founding group the Communist Party of Quebec..........

I will grant you this.....the excuses and slithering done by both politicians is extremely unattractive.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I will grant you this.....the excuses and slithering done by both politicians is extremely unattractive.

Well the obvious logical gaffe committed by the Conservatives and Liberals is writing quite the unfortunate history book for them now..

Tories on the defence over Lebel’s Bloc ties

So the Tory defence that is emerging is this: if you were once a separatist but are a lesser member of the team, you have less influence over party policy. However, Ms. Turmel does not sit around the cabinet table as does Mr. Lebel. Given there are only five Conservative MPs from Quebec -- four of whom are in cabinet, including Mr. Lebel -- his influence could be quite pronounced.
Paul Dewar, the Ottawa Centre NDP MP and a senior member of the NDP caucus, dismissed this argument, asserting the Conservatives are hypocrites.

“It would appear the Conservatives have a double standard here when it comes to former BQ membership,” he said Tuesday morning. “When it’s a New Democrat MP it’s a problem. When it’s a Conservative MP it’s somehow a virtue.”

“Some would call that hypocrisy,” he argued.

Last week, Ms. Turmel was criticized by the Conservatives for her former ties to the Bloc Quebecois.

Even Prime Minister Stephen Harper waded into the controversy, condemning her allegiance and questioning her commitment to the country. “I think it’s very disappointing. I don’t know that I have a lot to say but I do think Canadians will find this disappointing,” the Prime Minister told reporters last week.

“I think Canadians expect that any political party that wants to govern the country be unequivocally committed to this country,” he said. “That’s the minimum Canadians expect.”

And Mr. Lebel?

The NDP were way ahead of the game.

A “reality check” release issued last week -- to counter the accusations being thrown at Ms. Turmel -- noted that Mr. Lebel and junior cabinet minister Maxime Bernier both had separatist connections.

It accused the Conservatives of feigning “righteous indignation” over Ms. Turmel’s separatist ties.

“Conservative spokesman Dimitri Soudas called the NDP ‘not up to the job of governing Canada,’” the release said.

Not only did the NDP go after the Conservatives but party strategists also took on the Liberals, noting that former Paul Martin cabinet minister Jean Lapierre, now a popular broadcaster in Quebec, had been a founding member of the Bloc.

The Liberals had also strongly criticized Ms. Turmel’s connections.

“We wonder why these comments are not applicable to their own organizations,” said the NDP. “After all, people in glass houses should not throw stones ...”

Tories on the defence over Lebel’s Bloc ties - The Globe and Mail

Maybe she's been Reformed?

hah

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Voters aren't ****ing idiots are they? In a democracy, an MP is free to vote in the house how he/she pleases. His constituents can't be idiots, they know his opinions and aims or his changes in opinons and aims. Why wouldn't they know who they are voting for?

Or do some just vote for who they are told to vote for and have no idea who this person is or what their opinons and aims are?

Next time I walk in to a school gym to vote, I'm going to wear rubber boats and avoid all the drool.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
And it's writing itself quite the unfortunate history book for Conservatives and Liberals right now..

Tories on the defence over Lebel’s Bloc ties

So the Tory defence that is emerging is this: if you were once a separatist but are a lesser member of the team, you have less influence over party policy. However, Ms. Turmel does not sit around the cabinet table as does Mr. Lebel. Given there are only five Conservative MPs from Quebec -- four of whom are in cabinet, including Mr. Lebel -- his influence could be quite pronounced.
Paul Dewar, the Ottawa Centre NDP MP and a senior member of the NDP caucus, dismissed this argument, asserting the Conservatives are hypocrites.

“It would appear the Conservatives have a double standard here when it comes to former BQ membership,” he said Tuesday morning. “When it’s a New Democrat MP it’s a problem. When it’s a Conservative MP it’s somehow a virtue.”

“Some would call that hypocrisy,” he argued.

Last week, Ms. Turmel was criticized by the Conservatives for her former ties to the Bloc Quebecois.

Even Prime Minister Stephen Harper waded into the controversy, condemning her allegiance and questioning her commitment to the country. “I think it’s very disappointing. I don’t know that I have a lot to say but I do think Canadians will find this disappointing,” the Prime Minister told reporters last week.

“I think Canadians expect that any political party that wants to govern the country be unequivocally committed to this country,” he said. “That’s the minimum Canadians expect.”

And Mr. Lebel?

The NDP were way ahead of the game.

A “reality check” release issued last week -- to counter the accusations being thrown at Ms. Turmel -- noted that Mr. Lebel and junior cabinet minister Maxime Bernier both had separatist connections.

It accused the Conservatives of feigning “righteous indignation” over Ms. Turmel’s separatist ties.

“Conservative spokesman Dimitri Soudas called the NDP ‘not up to the job of governing Canada,’” the release said.

Not only did the NDP go after the Conservatives but party strategists also took on the Liberals, noting that former Paul Martin cabinet minister Jean Lapierre, now a popular broadcaster in Quebec, had been a founding member of the Bloc.

The Liberals had also strongly criticized Ms. Turmel’s connections.

“We wonder why these comments are not applicable to their own organizations,” said the NDP. “After all, people in glass houses should not throw stones ...”

Tories on the defence over Lebel’s Bloc ties - The Globe and Mail

The Tory defense should be simple.

Mr. Lebel WAS a sinner. He saw the light many years ago, and was redeemed......and has dedicated his life to the Right.

Ms. Turmel IS a sinner, who has not come into the light, is not redeemed, has yet to prove herself. To add to her sins, her current membership is in a party based on the Communist Party of Quebec.

Imagine if it was discovered that a Conservative member was also a member of a neo-Nazi group.......same thing, except the Communists managed to kill a lot more people than the Nazis.......

But THEN you would have a point.

2001..........last Tuesday. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Voters aren't ****ing idiots are they? In a democracy, an MP is free to vote in the house how he/she pleases. His constituents can't be idiots, they know his opinions and aims or his changes in opinons and aims. Why wouldn't they know who they are voting for?

Or do some just vote for who they are told to vote for and have no idea who this person is or what their opinons and aims are?

Next time I walk in to a school gym to vote, I'm going to wear rubber boats and avoid all the drool.

Hey Petros, you're still half asleep this morning............by the "winners" that get elected I think a lot of them could well be "F***ing Idiots". :lol:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Mr. Lebel WAS a sinner. He saw the light many years ago, and was redeemed......and has dedicated his life to the Right.