Norton or what?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
November was the first time I actually paid for a Norton renewal $70. each for two computers......That's because I was too lazy to do what I had been doing for the last ten years......what I call my renewal:smile:....first uninstall all Norton and symantec applications, then ferret out and delete all associated files..(somewhere there is the expiry date stamp which must be deleted) ...then reboot several times after each operation.......then reinstall...and you're good for another year.....:lol:

Your PC is a bit slow moving.....slow starting? If you have already used "msconfig" to prevent all unnecessary stuff from starting up?....you don't mind a little tinkering?
Check out this web site Black Viper's Web Site
There....check out which "Services" start up and run in the background on your PC that you really don't need and are safe to either put on manual for use when you need them......or disable altogether
Mine starts up in one minute....ready to work with in one and half...shuts down in less than 20 seconds:p

Norton rocks!

I know that the Norton security products used to be resource hogs, but that's old old news. They are now fast and light and I wouldn't trust my security software to anyone else. I've got Norton's Internet Security 2010 running on my netbook and it shows me if links are safe and tells me if downloads are safe, but other than that, it works in the background and never gets in my way.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I got rid of Norton also and went to AVG but they had some problems on the last version that literally screwed up millions of computers running it.
I didnt update to the new version when it came out and things went to hell after that.
I was getting missing root file errors and when I googled it I found it was an AVG thing.
I literally had to roll back the time on my pc to any time before the new version came out and then upgrade.
Still it screwed up a lot of things on my desktop that will require a reformat to fix it.

I also had zone alarm but dont use it anymore as it seems to report a lot of false attacks.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
AVG if you are looking for a free solution, ESET Nod32 if you are willing to pay. I have used both extensively, AVG catches most problems but it can be a bit sluggish. Nod32 on the other hand consumes little system resources and it scans extremely fast.

Antivirus software is a pretty subjective topic though, a piece of software can only protect against end user stupidity to a certain extent...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I was a bit uptight when AVG announced that the free version was being discontinued but I guess I procrastinated long enough that AVG reversed that decision and I still use the AVG free version. The thing seems to catch the odd virus and the price is right.. I wish I could get more serious about this. I used Norton once a few years ago and found it very invasive and had a devil of a time getting rid the damn thing. I won't use any kind of a paid anti-virus program again. At the moment I have Windows XP which I paid for. It is only just convenience that keeps me from switching over to Linix.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
AVG if you are looking for a free solution, ESET Nod32 if you are willing to pay. I have used both extensively, AVG catches most problems but it can be a bit sluggish. Nod32 on the other hand consumes little system resources and it scans extremely fast.

Antivirus software is a pretty subjective topic though, a piece of software can only protect against end user stupidity to a certain extent...
That was the one I couldn't remember the name of. We found a problem with it, though. I can't remember what. Maybe they fixed the problem, though. And they are only $90 for 2 years. $10 more for twice the subscription period of Kaspersky. Interesting.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Top left, unless you have right hand drive........I think. Least it was in the ol'VW.8O

Well that explains why my Dad's old Chevy always speeded up unexpectedly when when I tried to dim the lights. The left, you say... :lol:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

How right you are...The only "real" virus alert I ever got (as oppose to some false positive alerts).....was sheer stupidity ...
Someone had sent me a .rar file and I didn't have an opener for that type of file....so I had to find one on the net....downloaded it....then clicked on the download without scanning it first:roll:
It completely disabled Norton, I couldn't access "Trend Micro" for an online scan..etc. etc.
My lucky break was that I had done an operating drive partition back up just a week earlier.

For the next two hours ....I called myself every name in the book while I was restoring my system......

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
How right you are...The only "real" virus alert I ever got (as oppose to some false positive alerts).....was sheer stupidity ...
Someone had sent me a .rar file and I didn't have an opener for that type of file....so I had to find one on the net....downloaded it....then clicked on the download without scanning it first:roll:
It completely disabled Norton, I couldn't access "Trend Micro" for an online scan..etc. etc.
My lucky break was that I had done an operating drive partition back up just a week earlier.

For the next two hours ....I called myself every name in the book while I was restoring my system......

Compressed files can hide all sorts of nasty things. :-(

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Mine was a '59 Dodge Mayfair.
My how the world has changed - 100 years ago the average yearly wage was between 200 and 400 per year - the technology of the late 60 put a man on the moon - the first computer game if I am correct was along the lines of Pac man - and Oh were we excited - fighter jets in the 70 had less computing ability then a 386 computer -
We are concerned that cyberwarfare can knock our power plants off like dominoes by crweating power surges that jump from plant to plant, taking years to rebuild them would be like throwing us back into the age of riots and the immediate and steep decline in civilization in those areas affected.

And now we talk about Internet protection from viruses - Whew - whats next?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Anyone remember when the first commercial Calculators came out for the public????
I remember not trusting it's results at first and checking them with pencil and paper.......and now calculators are all over....including your phone and it seems we couldn't live without them:smile:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Anyone remember when the first commercial Calculators came out for the public????
I remember not trusting it's results at first and checking them with pencil and paper.......and now calculators are all over....including your phone and it seems we couldn't live without them:smile:

About 1973.