Norton or what?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've used the free version of A.V.G. for years, seem to keep the critters away. Mind you my computer is past due to go in for cleaning and tune up. It's impossibly slow- can't believe it was state of the art in 2003.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I tried a couple of versions of Norton over the last many years, in my opinion they were horrible.

I stickwith AVG for antivirus.
Me too. My whole family does. I agree with my son - if anyone is going to be "attacked" by a virus, it's going to be Norton or McAfee. AVG works great. When we used Norton, everytime we got close to renewal time we would suddenly start to get viruses which we believe were harmless ones sent by the company themselves just to make sure we didn't let up on our coverage.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I've used the free version of A.V.G. for years, seem to keep the critters away. Mind you my computer is past due to go in for cleaning and tune up. It's impossibly slow- can't believe it was state of the art in 2003.

I bought mine in 2003 as well and it is not slow at all (it does take a fair bit of time to boot up in the morning though). Maybe your RAM is too low. When you take it for cleaning, ask him to put in more RAM. That may speed it up.

Biohazard

Apr 24, 2008
N.B.
I was using AVG - until they played the muggs game and said the freebie was being discontinued. I have used Norton too. Both slowed ol' FRED down. Now,I'm on Avast and it doesn't slow things as much. That update guy and the warning siren are a bit un-nerving sometimes.

I believe you can disable the sounds, I never bothered though. I use Avast and I find it's done a far better job than Norton ever did on my old computer.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I bought mine in 2003 as well and it is not slow at all (it does take a fair bit of time to boot up in the morning though). Maybe your RAM is too low. When you take it for cleaning, ask him to put in more RAM. That may speed it up.

Yep, I'll see what the computer geek has to say, I've been mulling over the possibility of buying a new one, but we'll see.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Yep, I'll see what the computer geek has to say, I've been mulling over the possibility of buying a new one, but we'll see.
It's seven years old JLM. I'd be seriously thinking about getting a new one.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's seven years old JLM. I'd be seriously thinking about getting a new one.

Do you think I could handle the technology? I'm still in the mode where I'm getting used to having the dimmer switch on the steering column. :lol::lol::lol:

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Do you think I could handle the technology? I'm still in the mode where I'm getting used to having the dimmer switch on the steering column. :lol::lol::lol:

Geez, my computer must be reallly outdated - it doesn't have a steering column or a dimmer switch! :lol::lol::lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We are going to look into the Kapersky one, I think. We started with MacAfee and went to Norton and then to some other thing. Norton and MacAfee sucked. Now we use the full AVG security suite and it's pretty good but pc is getting slow. I don't know which of these doodads is slowing things down but it's starting to get annoying. Maybe we'll wait till AVG subscription runs out. lol $80 US for Kaspersky's security suite.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We are going to look into the Kapersky one, I think. We started with MacAfee and went to Norton and then to some other thing. Norton and MacAfee sucked. Now we use the full AVG security suite and it's pretty good but pc is getting slow. I don't know which of these doodads is slowing things down but it's starting to get annoying. Maybe we'll wait till AVG subscription runs out. lol $80 US for Kaspersky's security suite.

Last time I had my computer overhauled, the woman recommended Kapersky but when I tried to down load it they wanted money so I said (to myself) *&$@ them. :lol::lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Last time I had my computer overhauled, the woman recommended Kapersky but when I tried to down load it they wanted money so I said (to myself) *&$@ them. :lol::lol:

Ach, the Scot in my agrees with ye, laddie! I use AVG because it's free and because on dial-up, the virus usually dies of old age by the time it gets this far. :lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
lol Like Countryboy - I was wondering about the dimmer switch!!! I'm sure you'll do just fine. Really - what's the point in putting a new transmission into the old one? There is a time when you have to give in and you might as well do it rather than put out money on the old one and then have to do it again in a couple of years. When I worked for the Chiropractor (Doug Smith if you need one as he's great), he would not spend money on up grades and it was really a drag (literally).

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
lol Like Countryboy - I was wondering about the dimmer switch!!! I'm sure you'll do just fine. Really - what's the point in putting a new transmission into the old one? There is a time when you have to give in and you might as well do it rather than put out money on the old one and then have to do it again in a couple of years. When I worked for the Chiropractor (Doug Smith if you need one as he's great), he would not spend money on up grades and it was really a drag (literally).

Yes, and the Scot in me loves the fact that you can get a lot more computer today for much less money than in 2003. It's a bonnie fine thing!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I'm one of those stubborn old buggers (and thick) , who even after an idea makes perfect sense, it takes me awhile to accept it. There's a word for that and damned if I can think of it right now.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well I remember the switch was on the floor - top right corner - You are so young. Compliment