Younger Generation - Dumb or Stupid or Both- Yes or No

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You tried watching both of 'em at the same time?

Oop... Sorry. That would be a family reunion
Yeah then we'd really tempt the fate of mom and play with our ex-box in the livingroom. One day that ex-box was a castle, the next it was a firehall.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yeah then we'd really tempt the fate of mom and play with our ex-box in the livingroom. One day that ex-box was a castle, the next it was a firehall.

Today they have so many choices compared to what we had growing up - As the old saying goes - we made our own fun.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Today they have so many choices compared to what we had growing up - As the old saying goes - we made our own fun.
The only different choices are consumer choices but we had something called discipline that limited our choices for the better.

How many television stations did the Nazis run?
There was only one CBC French channel back then too.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I notice a distinct change over the last twenty years in how the younger population is viewed and treated by the public

They are often the focus of advertising - product for the young is increasing and parents either are made to feel guilty if they do not meet the demand and supply of "needs" or those who don't get their wishes
met are "abused".

I think the goals of what life is all about has become unrealistic and commercialized to the point of
impossible and the young people are exposed as soon as they are allowed to watch television, play on the internet or even hear the conversations between the parents about "what to buy next".

Commercial dictatorship needs some serious rethinking - and adults need some strength with the idea
they can "buy love" within the family. It doesn't work that way....not in the long term and gives
the young unrealistic expectations of adults.

Even many teachers treat their students as they are all magical and perfect - usually to avoid conflict in the classroom.

Time to reclaim decisions by adults only and put the advertisers on notice as to who "pays the bill".

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Time to reclaim decisions by adults only and put the advertisers on notice as to who "pays the bill".

This is true, but how do you do it? You can't monitor your kids 24/7, and as you noted the bombardment is pervasive, ubiquitous...so what's the steps? How do you fight entrenched interests? The same psychology that plants the seed for product and brand awareness is also at work when the media demagogues.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes. Back to square one, how did you choose when you were brainwashed?
Since you've noticed I'm not brainwshed now, what gave the idea I ever was?

Considering you admit to it, why don't you fill all of us non-brainwshed in on the details? Don't spare us the freaky **** either. We can take it.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Tonington

I suggest a family get-together with creating a budget for things which are not as necessary to life as food, clothing, cleaning products, repairs, general upkeep of household, etc. All those things we try to
ignore but know we have to put aside some funds eventually.

There is no "too early" age for a child to learn budgets - even a small one when the weekly grocery list is being made and choices for special treats can include the children - or outings can also be part of this list to keep the child engaged.

There can be a list for clothing - "necessary" and "fun".... and even when parents are discussing the need to buy a new washer or even a car - age-appropriate information can be discussed with the kids so they undeerstand financial limitations and lifestyle.

There can always be room for "surprise" stuff at birthday or holiday celebrations but all children need to understand the family does not run on air - and it takes ...... hours of work for the parents to pay for whatever necessities they will need.

If there are bits of money left over such as quarters or even a dollar or two....add some fun to the mix with a bag of treats or cookies - something to make the kids feel it isn't all horrible planning... but they need to be aware of finances within their family so they appreciate new treats, clothes and gifts when they receive them.

As a child I was never taught about money handling and as a single working girl I was always broke and borrowing from my sisters or brother or parents. My husband finally taught me the ropes in my late twenties because as he was away from home a great deal in the military it was up to me to keep the house running and paying bills on time.

At the time I realized how little I knew I was embarrassed and felt in perhaps protecting me, my parents had created a problem for themselves and me - in that I never understood about budgeting. It's a gift for kids to be part of the financial
issues too - even at the weekly grocery list level....

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Tonington

I suggest a family get-together with creating a budget for things which are not as necessary to life as food, clothing, cleaning products, repairs, general upkeep of household, etc. All those things we try to
ignore but know we have to put aside some funds eventually.

There is no "too early" age for a child to learn budgets - even a small one when the weekly grocery list is being made and choices for special treats can include the children - or outings can also be part of this list to keep the child engaged.

There can be a list for clothing - "necessary" and "fun".... and even when parents are discussing the need to buy a new washer or even a car - age-appropriate information can be discussed with the kids so they undeerstand financial limitations and lifestyle.

There can always be room for "surprise" stuff at birthday or holiday celebrations but all children need to understand the family does not run on air - and it takes ...... hours of work for the parents to pay for whatever necessities they will need.

If there are bits of money left over such as quarters or even a dollar or two....add some fun to the mix with a bag of treats or cookies - something to make the kids feel it isn't all horrible planning... but they need to be aware of finances within their family so they appreciate new treats, clothes and gifts when they receive them.

As a child I was never taught about money handling and as a single working girl I was always broke and borrowing from my sisters or brother or parents. My husband finally taught me the ropes in my late twenties because as he was away from home a great deal in the military it was up to me to keep the house running and paying bills on time.

At the time I realized how little I knew I was embarrassed and felt in perhaps protecting me, my parents had created a problem for themselves and me - in that I never understood about budgeting. It's a gift for kids to be part of the financial

Good idea.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I actually had the type of experience you described above with involvement in home economics. My fiance on the other hand was completely sheltered. She was raised by her grandmother, and was coddled severely...to the point where she has very little confidence to even try things. It's a work in progress...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hi Tonington - my sympathies to your fiancee believe me

Out of love parents try to shield a child from understanding simple economics and denial of treats but in so avoiding addressing and teaching the issues they keep children in ignorance about the values expected if one
wishes to "own" or "purchase" something which gives pleasure. Even being included in the family financial
discussions may bore the kids unless there is "hope" for something neat in the list - but they will pick up
on the whole tribal ritual of spending what you can and trying not to "overspend".

I've seen kids "man up" when they realize the money pit is empty and they have to wait until next payday to
get their new electronic whizzo whatever it is....while it hurts the parents to deny, it gives a gift to the child which may go unrealized until the child expects every wish will be granted - and that is fantasy land.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
She still leaves the lights on when she leaves a room...drives me bonkers! I was cooking, ironing, doing laundry, before I hit junior high! Well, the ironing I think was after junior high, started doing lots of that when I went into Air Cadets.

She's actually really good about spending money wisely. So that's not a great big land mine to deal with. It's more of the domestic load that she's not so good for, but getting better.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
How do you choose when you're brainwashed?

if one is aware of what is going on around him/her, he isn't brainwashed, he makes
choices, that just leaves the ones who are 'trying' to do the brainwashing, and don't succeed.
they can get away with whatever they want, that doesn't mean they have fooled anyone, who
decide they don't want to be fooled, the brainwashed are the ones who haven't a clue, and believe
the brainwashers are doing the best they can for them.