Who wrote the Bible?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Been following this guy for a while. He's Canadian, and has a PhD.

This is probably the best presentation for a general idea of how the Bible came to be that you'll find. He also does charts for lots of other things. Great information overall on that channel.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Various mortal men wrote the bible documenting the stories that had been passed down through the years. Was it fact? Who knows.
Also, the bible has been translated many times, some for various political reasons. Take it for what it is worth.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The original exists in Greek and Hebrew. Luckily they aren't dynamic languages like English.
Greek may not be dynamic like English but there are differences between the classical Greek and modern Greek languages. One of which led to one of the biggest mistranslations into Latin and then English and the rest of the languages it's printed in, the word 'arsenokoites'.

Reactions: petros

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
IIRC, this is just the 'base' stories and where they're maybe sourced from. He does in other videos talk about other versions though I think.
The story of the great flood was lifted from an older religion. The origin story of Moses was lifted from an older religion. Even the concept and story of resurrection predates Christianity and Judaism.
There's even archaeological evidence suggesting that the ancient Israelites weren't in Egypt as slaves but lived there as paid servants.

Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The story of the great flood was lifted from an older religion. The origin story of Moses was lifted from an older religion. Even the concept and story of resurrection predates Christianity and Judaism.
There's even archaeological evidence suggesting that the ancient Israelites weren't in Egypt as slaves but lived there as paid servants.

Well yeah, I know all that.

But his video is interesting none the less and has more to do with the actual 'who' and not the stories.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yes, what they often call "Zoroastrianism." Zoroaster was supposedly the king who foresaw the flood and led his people into the hills until it passed, then came down and rebuilt the city. I believe it was Uruk in Sumeria (it's been a while). As I understand it, what the bible-writers turned into a divine act was really just an account of the wisdom and foresight of a city-state king. One could almost say that barbarian sheep-herders took a story of good administration, and through their ignorance, turned it into a fantasy of gods and worldwide disasters (the predecessors of the Jews weren't very sophisticated by Sumerian standards). There was great concern in the 1800s when the story was found and translated from the library at Nineveh that it could destroy people's faith.

Second part, as well. It's entirely possible that the Jews were simply one of the lower groups in a multi-cultural Egypt, like many others, and turned their pissing and moaning into a religion. We see the same thing today in the U.S. (and no doubt in Canada) where various groups compete in the hard-done-by Olympics, wasting time and energy they could put to making things better for all.

Reactions: Jinentonix

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Second part, as well. It's entirely possible that the Jews were simply one of the lower groups in a multi-cultural Egypt, like many others, and turned their pissing and moaning into a religion. We see the same thing today in the U.S. (and no doubt in Canada) where various groups compete in the hard-done-by Olympics, wasting time and energy they could put to making things better for all.

They probably ran into much of the same problems we have today. AN entrenched bureaucracy and a left that wants to destroy rather than build.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yes, what they often call "Zoroastrianism." Zoroaster was supposedly the king who foresaw the flood and led his people into the hills until it passed, then came down and rebuilt the city. I believe it was Uruk in Sumeria (it's been a while). As I understand it, what the bible-writers turned into a divine act was really just an account of the wisdom and foresight of a city-state king. One could almost say that barbarian sheep-herders took a story of good administration, and through their ignorance, turned it into a fantasy of gods and worldwide disasters (the predecessors of the Jews weren't very sophisticated by Sumerian standards). There was great concern in the 1800s when the story was found and translated from the library at Nineveh that it could destroy people's faith.

The ark part of the story seems to have its origins in Babylon. Every so often the Tigris and Euphrates would flood. To the point you could almost set your calendar by it. The story goes that one of the wealthier farmers in the region built a carrack to save his animals and it was large enough that he was able to save some of the livestock of his neighbours as well.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The ark part of the story seems to have its origins in Babylon. Every so often the Tigris and Euphrates would flood. To the point you could almost set your calendar by it. The story goes that one of the wealthier farmers in the region built a carrack to save his animals and it was large enough that he was able to save some of the livestock of his neighbours as well.
Yep, that's Sumer. Tigris-Euphrates plain. Can't swear to it, but I think it was Sumer first, later came to be Babylon.

Is your story the right one, or mine? I'll look it up at some point out of curiosity, but can't be arsed at the moment. Basically the same. . . smart guy does something smart, and centuries of re-telling and dramatization blow it way out of proportion.

Kinda like Henry V. Henry didn't make those cool speeches. Shakespeare did.

Or David and Goliath. It's entirely possible some teenage shepherd killed an armored warrior with a sling. A sling is a no-shit deadly weapon in experienced hands. But generations of storytellers can't leave it at that. He wasn't just an armored warrior, he was really big and tough! No, no, not really big and tough, a GIANT!"

The Monty Python sketch where the scriptwriters decided Scott had to be threatened in Antarctica, so they came up with a 20-foot, electric penguin. . .

Last edited:

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The original exists in Greek and Hebrew. Luckily they aren't dynamic languages like English.
Has anyone ever taken a Bible and shown you how you can know that you're going to heaven, Petros?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Matt 16 18

And I say to thee: That thou art Petros; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.