What's your opinion on United States Of America?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: anti-americans

ill talk to him, but i believe you....i dont believe him, and actually watch the series that myth wont get that far.

Well most likely if he is one of "those" Canadians he will insist to his dying bed that the only suicide was a Canadian because us Americans really needed to go out of our way to p*** you guys off in a series that had absolutely nothing to do with Canada.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Well most likely if he is one of "those" Canadians he will insist to his dying bed that the only suicide was a Canadian because us Americans really needed to go out of our way to p*** you guys off in a series that had absolutely nothing to do with Canada.

I hate Canadians like that... they're almost as bad as 'those' Americans who don't bother to participate on a Canadian forum in any capacity other than picking or wading into fights about Canada v. US :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I hate Canadians like that... they're almost as bad as 'those' Americans who don't bother to participate on a Canadian forum in any capacity other than picking or wading into fights about Canada v. US :lol:

I don't believe you do... and I don't hate Canadians.

It boggles me though when I read your post stating that your buddy is p**** that a Canadian is portrayed as the only one killing himself in a series about US Marines in the Pacific. Is he soft? Where on earth did he come up with that? Did I miss something?

edit...sorry Karrie...he wasn't your buddy... he was Johnny's. And yeah I will go after those types almost every time. That's just how I roll.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Ya but, their government sucks, which proves to me that they have no control over their government and that smells of dictatorship.

It seems to me the fringe groups hold the balance of power. However, it's hard not to like individual average Americans.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Do you want to explain what part you are talking about? The guy that shot himself was a US Marine.

I've watched just about every episode although I am behind on the last four. I've read all three books and Canadians aren't even mentioned.

Your freind may be smoking a little too much unless you can point out what part I missed.

The guy that killed himself was a French Canadian.....and a US Marine.

I have no idea what that has to do with anything.......but that's the fact.....

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

It seems to me the fringe groups hold the balance of power. However, it's hard not to like individual average Americans.
Average Americans are no different than average Canadians. The balance of power is held by the ruling elite in both countries.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

Ya but, their government sucks, which proves to me that they have no control over their government and that smells of dictatorship.
What do you mean our goverment sucks. You have the most scatter brained (no offense intended) goverment one can think of, what really have they accomplished in the past two years? I do understand that with all the political parties you allow to get involved is probably the reason for the log jam you have getting things passed. Geez a 'Pirate party" that is against copy write laws, Marijuana Party (says it all), Work Less party, be thankful that the Absolutely Absurd party dropped out. You seem to have a government that if it wasn't so free it would be a dictatorship. You are much closer to chaos than we are.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

People are people (mostly good) and geography and politics should be left out of it. There is altogether too much of this bullsh*t going on denigrating folks because some individual with nothing better to do takes it upon himself to profile them. (Hey if you wear your ball cap backwards that makes you a red neck, Conservative Bible thumper, who is packing a gun and his wife wears gumboots) LOL

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

The guy that killed himself was a French Canadian.....and a US Marine.

I have no idea what that has to do with anything.......but that's the fact.....

Well that is why I qualified a few of my posts asking if I am missing something. Did they mention that in the movie? I recently read the Robert Leckie book "Helmet for My Pillow" and I don't recall him mentioning a suicide and that he was French Canadian. Maybe I did miss something.

Regardless... he was a US Marine and committed suicide. Being of French Canadian desent should have nothing to do with it. He was not the only Marine to kill himself in the Pacific...but perhaps he was the only one that Robert Leckie witnessed.

Do you have a link Colpy? I am just curious.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

The only dictators you've smashed are ones you financed and trained in the first place. They only became the enemy when they told you where you could put your need to control them. Would you like a list of the boogie men you have had in the past 50 or 60 years who you guys set up and then took down because they would no longer kiss your butts? Or ones that had to be kicked out of their countries by the peasants while you still supported them?

And what about the dictators who were left alone by USA, USA did not lift a hand to get rid of them, apparently because to do so would not have served USA's national interest?

Thus USA did not lift a finger to get rid of Pol Pot, they left him in peace to carry on with his genocide. Vietnam invaded Cambodia and ousted him (not for any altruistic reason, I might add).

USA gets along fine with some dictators, not with others. Saddam Hussein was a US darling for a long time, there is the famous photograph of Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Americans are great people.

Americans are like any other people. The problem is their government. During Bush administration, USA was despised almost universally. And many Americans do not help the matter with their superior, smug, arrogant attitude.

Now, perhaps one could argue that they are justified in feeling self satisfied, arrogant and superior. All the same, it does not help USA's image abroad. The Ugly American, while being a stereo type, also has some truth behind it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I feel 'anti' many countries leaders, but never 'anti', the
people of those countries.

All of us, 'the people', are the masses, and the leaders
are just a handful, but they dictate how we all behave
toward one another throughout time, wars, crappy rhetoric,
lies, and anything that will give any leader the upper hand.

no, I am not anti american, the american people are very
much like us, just as 'are' most people in the world.
The only thing that seems to separate the 'masses', is
religion, too bad 'that' even exists, because without it
we would see each other as 'the same', just wanting a good
life for ourselves and our families and friends.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Having lived in USA for seven years, I came to know many Americans and by and large they are decent, reasonable people.

However, I also know many people for other countries, and many of them have the same complaint about Americans, their superior, smug attitude when they go abroad. Compared to that, Canadians have a much better reputation. Indeed, many Canadians wear the maple leaf pin when they go abroad, to advertise that they are not Americans.

There used to be websites which would sell maple leaf pins, Canadian flag and other paraphernalia to Americans, so that they could pretend to be Canadians when they went abroad. I don’t know if they still are in existence, I haven’t checked in a while. But they were flourishing when Bush was the president.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

And what about the dictators who were left alone by USA, USA did not lift a hand to get rid of them, apparently because to do so would not have served USA's national interest?

Thus USA did not lift a finger to get rid of Pol Pot, they left him in peace to carry on with his genocide. Vietnam invaded Cambodia and ousted him (not for any altruistic reason, I might add).

USA gets along fine with some dictators, not with others. Saddam Hussein was a US darling for a long time, there is the famous photograph of Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand.

Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge were backed by China for one thing - and the Paris Peace Accord covered the whole of Indochina for another.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

What do you mean our goverment sucks. You have the most scatter brained (no offense intended) goverment one can think of, what really have they accomplished in the past two years? I do understand that with all the political parties you allow to get involved is probably the reason for the log jam you have getting things passed. Geez a 'Pirate party" that is against copy write laws, Marijuana Party (says it all), Work Less party, be thankful that the Absolutely Absurd party dropped out. You seem to have a government that if it wasn't so free it would be a dictatorship. You are much closer to chaos than we are.

Canadian government not getting anything done? You should talk, isn’t that pot calling the kettle black? You have one party (Republicans) whose avowed aim is to see that nothing gets done while the other party (Democrats) is in power. They instinctively filibuster anything and everything proposed by Democrats. Whatever Democrats have managed to pass has been in spite of Republican objections.

Even now Republicans are holding up the Wall Street reform. Not because they are against it (or they may be against reforming Wall Street, but at least they say that they are not), but just because they don’t want to give Democrats the credit for passing the reform. I assume they will try to pass some kind of Wall Street reform if they win presidency in 2012 (which of course will be filibustered by the Democrats). If not, they will wait until 2016, and keep filibustering everything until then. Wall Street will carry on unchecked, without any regulation.

Your system is designed to make sure that nothing gets done. Very little has been accomplished in the last two years, except health care reform. And that was passed in spite of a Republican filibuster.

With reduced Democratic majority after November 2010 (or Republicans gaining control), it is a safe bet that zero legislation will be passed from 2010 and 2012.

It is your system which is geared towards deadlock, not Canadian system.