What's your opinion on United States Of America?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Re: anti-americans

America use to be a great country, it really did.

Post Eisenhower is when it began to slide into a nation built on debt.

Dems and Republicans are all to blame and now a nation that could build anything builds nothing.

Obama won't change a thing, he's the same.

It's a true shame, question is, which nation will emerge as the new super power....China...India?

Yikes.

Quite so, Avro, I have already commented on this before. At one point, USA was indeed a great country, the world used to look to USA for leadership, in social, economic and military issues.

USA has been on the vanguard of human rights movement. The civil rights movement originated there in the 60s. So did the feminist movement and gay rights movement. Compared to USA, Canada consistently used to lag behind when it came to human rights or minority rights. Thus USA legalized abortion in 1973, long after that Canada was still imprisoning doctors for performing abortions.

I think all that started to change with the election of Reagan. Especially Republican Party started its inexorable march to the right. Today Republican party is much more right wing than it was during Reagan’s times. Indeed, Reagan will be kicked out of Republican Party today, as a RINO (Republican In Name Only).

While other countries continued the slow but steady march to more progressive, more liberal, more tolerant society, in USA things kept going backward. These days USA is just about the most conservative country in the developed world.

These days USA is known for its right wing policies, its crusade against minority rights, as being the only developed world to practice death penalty etc. Nobody looks to USA for leadership any more. A once great country is these days regressing going backwards.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

I don't harbour any anti-American feelings but I can somewhat understand why some people do. The US is an easy target due its size, influence, affluence & its military. With those attributes and the way you sometimes wield them, you are going to breed resentment with some.

It is also rather easy to be anti American. You don't even have to actually be against them in anyway, just not being in full support of them makes you against them.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

It is also rather easy to be anti American. You don't even have to actually be against them in anyway, just not being in full support of them makes you against them.
Sometimes, but not always. lol

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

LOL, that's quoting bushinski and it isn't worth a comment.

As to sombraa110's original post: the post answers the question. Its their arrogance: yankees think they can't do anything wrong, they think they are God's gift to the world, they think they are superior to everyone else. What else needs to be said? Oh yes, us Canadians and Brits were the only armies to burn down the whitehouse. (remember the war of 1812...) They seem to refuse to believe that...

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

Some americans like some canadians tick me off.. Although i have beef with that american media. I have a buddy who is watching that tv mini series pacific and he said in the whole series there is one canadian portrayed and that canadian shoots himself because he is scared. I hate how american media downplays my country

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

LOL, that's quoting bushinski and it isn't worth a comment.

As to sombraa110's original post: the post answers the question. Its their arrogance: yankees think they can't do anything wrong, they think they are God's gift to the world, they think they are superior to everyone else. What else needs to be said? Oh yes, us Canadians and Brits were the only armies to burn down the whitehouse. (remember the war of 1812...) They seem to refuse to believe that...

And yet you still did comment, LOL. Who is this Bushinski anyway?

sombraa110

Electoral Member
Feb 1, 2010

There is a lot of resentment in the world against us, and it falls mostly into two categories:

1. Western european elites, who have never gotten over falling to second rank status since world war two, and

2. Dictatorships, who know we (and almost nobody else) have a record of smashing dictatorships.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Some americans like some canadians tick me off.. Although i have beef with that american media. I have a buddy who is watching that tv mini series pacific and he said in the whole series there is one canadian portrayed and that canadian shoots himself because he is scared. I hate how american media downplays my country

Do you want to explain what part you are talking about? The guy that shot himself was a US Marine.

I've watched just about every episode although I am behind on the last four. I've read all three books and Canadians aren't even mentioned.

Your freind may be smoking a little too much unless you can point out what part I missed.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

There is a lot of resentment in the world against us, and it falls mostly into two categories:

1. Western european elites, who have never gotten over falling to second rank status since world war two, and

2. Dictatorships, who know we (and almost nobody else) have a record of smashing dictatorships.
The only dictators you've smashed are ones you financed and trained in the first place. They only became the enemy when they told you where you could put your need to control them. Would you like a list of the boogie men you have had in the past 50 or 60 years who you guys set up and then took down because they would no longer kiss your butts? Or ones that had to be kicked out of their countries by the peasants while you still supported them?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

The fact of the matter is that no Canadians burnt down the Whitehouse. Sorry Charlie...it never happened. British troops did burn down the Whitehouse but there were no Canadians present.

As I have pointed out before. British soldiers fresh from the Pennisular War against France were dispatched to Bermuda. From there they went to the Chesapeake and burned down the Whitehouse. They didn't stop to pick up any Canadian Militia.

The US did sack Toronto and burn the Parliment Buildings though. :canada:

Governor-in-chief of British North America Sir George Prevost had written to the Admirals in Bermuda, calling for retaliation for the American sacking of York (now Toronto). A force of 2,500 soldiers under General Ross—aboard a Royal Navy task force composed of the HMS Royal Oak, three frigates, three sloops, and ten other vessels—had just arrived in Bermuda. Released from the Peninsular War by British victory, the British intended to use them for diversionary raids along the coasts of Maryland and Virginia. In response to Prevost's request, they decided to employ this force, together with the naval and military units already on the station, to strike at Washington, D.C.

Sorry...truth hurts doesn't it? :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

he just very well may have,

See how silly you guys can get at times?

It wasn't even about Canadians. It was about Marines in the Pacific.

In the 3rd of 4th episode a Marine commits suicide. That is the only suicide I saw thus far.