What's your opinion on United States Of America?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Cool, the link I put here and there, says they're only available in Canada. Must be a Comedy Network thing.

I just watched "Jared has Aides". The end made me howl. Cartman sitting in a lawnchair in front of Butter's house, as Butter's gets a beating for something Cartman did. As you hear the beating taking place, Cartman says, "If I was older, I would so be beating off right now"...

Comedy network has Canadian rights, Comedy Central has US rights.

I have a real hate-on for companies that geoblock IP addresses, so much good content available on US sites but us Canucks are blocked access. :-( There are ways around it but it can be a pain.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Comedy network has Canadian rights, Comedy Central has US rights.

I have a real hate-on for companies that geoblock IP addresses, so much good content available on US sites but us Canucks are blocked access. :-( There are ways around it but it can be a pain.
Tell me about it. The lapse in speed is harrowing, lol.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
After reading over the thread again, I've come to the conclusion it was meant to be a plea for attention. Sort of like: "The USA. Sure we screw things up a lot, but love us anyway. You do like us, right?"

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
After reading over the thread again, I've come to the conclusion it was meant to be a plea for attention. Sort of like: "The USA. Sure we screw things up a lot, but love us anyway. You do like us, right?"

I think you would find most Canadians like the US.

sombraa110

Electoral Member
Feb 1, 2010
The more a nation feels obligated to claim it's the greatest nation on Earth, the less likely it is to be true.

We do have some unique things in our favor, such as a tradition of independence, and a constitution that clearly spells out basic liberties and restrictions on government powers - check out what passes for an attempt at a constitution in the European Union if you want to be appalled!

On the other hand, political parties are always trying to define people that don't agree with them as anti-American and treasonous, or politically insensitive, and our differences have been turned into effective wedge issues that are used to divide and rule us.

The only way we can make a valid claim at being the "Greatest nation on Earth" is to continue to rise to the challenge of overcoming our poor leadership and corrupt government, and show by our actions that we believe in helping each other out, allowing and even celebrating differences and freedoms, and behaving in a manner that we can all be proud of

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We do have some unique things in our favor, such as a tradition of independence, and a constitution that clearly spells out basic liberties and restrictions on government powers - check out what passes for an attempt at a constitution in the European Union if you want to be appalled!

Too bad the US is privately owned or you'd have a good point about but You aren't part of "We the People......" as clearly defined by the supreme court. (Pendleford Fay & Co. v. The Mayor and Alderman of the City of Savannah 14 Georgia 438,520) & {Barron v. The Mayor & City Council of Baltimore 32 U.S. 243)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Executive order 12803 of April 30, 1992
57 FR 19063 / May 4th, 1992
TEXT: By the authority vested in me as the president by the laws of the United States of America, and in order to ensure that the United States achieves the most beneficial economic use of its resources, it is hereby ordered as follows:
Section 1. Definitions. For purposes of this order: (a) "Privatization" means the disposition or transfer of an infrastructure asset, such as by sale or by long-term lease, from a State or local government to a private party.
(b) "infrastructure asset" means any asset financed in whole or in part by the Federal Government and needed for the functioning of the economy. Examples of such assets include, but are not limited to: roads, tunnels, bridges, electricity supply facilities, mass transit, rail transportation, airports, ports, waterways, water supply facilities, recycling and wastewater treatment facilities, solid waste disposal facilities, housing, schools, prisons, and hospitals.
Section 2. Fundamental Principles. Executive departments and agencies shall be guided by the following objectives and principles: (a) Adequate and well-maintained infrastructure is critical to economic growth. Consistent with the principles of federalism enumerated in Executive Order No. 12612 (set out under section 601 of Title 5, Government Organization and mEmployees), and in order to allow the private sector to provide for infrastructure modernization and expansion, State and local governments should have greater freedom to privatize infrastructure assets. (b) Private enterprise and competitively driven improvements are the foundation of our Nation's economy and economic growth. Federal financing of infrastructure assets should not act as a barrier to the achievement of economic efficiencies through additional private market financing or competitive practices, or both. (c) State and local governments are in the best position to assess and respond to local needs. State and local governments should, subject to assuring continued compliance with Federal requirements that public use be on reasonable and nondiscriminatory terms, have maximum possible freedom to make decisions concerning the maintenance and disposition of their federally financed infrastructure assets. (d) User fees are generally more efficient than general taxes as a means to support infrastructure assets.
Privatization transactions should be structured so as not to result in unreasonable increases in charges to users.
Section 3. Privatization initiative. To the extent permitted by law, the head of each executive department and agency shall undertake the following actions:
(a) Review those procedures affecting the management and disposition of federally financed infrastructure assets owned by State and local governments and modify those procedures to encourage appropriate privatization of such assets consistent: with this order; and
(b) Assist State and Local governments in their efforts to advance the objectives of this order; and
(c) Approval State and local governments' requests to Privatize infrastructure assets, consistent with the criteria in section 4 of this order and, where necessary, grant exceptions to the disposition requirements of the "Uniform Administration Requirements for Grants and Cooperative Agreements to State and Local Governments" common rule, or other relevant rules or regulations for infrastructure assets; provided that the transfer price shall be distributed, as paid, in the following manner:
(i) State and local governments shall first recoup in full the unadjusted dollar amount of their portion of total project costs (including any transaction and fix-up costs they incur) associated with the infrastructure assets involved;
(ii) if proceeds remain, then the Federal Government shall recoup in full the amount of the Federal grant awards, associated with the infrastructure assets, less the applicable share of accumulated
(d) "Transfer Price" means:
(i) the amount paid or to be paid by a private party for an infrastructure asset, if the asset s transferred as a result of a competitive bidding; of
(ii) the appraised value of an infrastructure asset, as determined by the head of the executive department agency and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, if the asset is not transferred as a result of competitive bidding.
(e) "state and local governments" means the government of any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, and commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States, and any country, municipality, city, town, township, local public authority, school district, regional or interstate governmental entity, council of governments, and any agency or instrumentality of a local government, and any federally recognized Indian Tribe.
Sec. 4. Criteria. To the extent permitted by law, the head of an executive department or agency shall approve a request in accordance with section 3 (c) of this order only if the grantee:
(a) Agrees to use the proceeds described in section 3 (e)(iii) of this order only for investment in additional infrastructure assets (after public notice of the proposed investment) or for debt or tax reduction; and
(b) Demonstrates that a market mechanism, legally enforceable agreement, or regulatory mechanism will ensure that:
(i) the infrastructure asset or assets will continue to be used for their originally authorized purposes; and
(ii) user charges will be consistent with any current Federal conditions that protect users and the pubic by limiting the charges.
Sec. 5. Government-wide coordination and Review. In implementing Executive Order Nos. 12291 and 12498 and OMB Circular No. A-19, the Office of Management and Budget, to the extent permitted by law and consistent with the provisions of those authorities, shall take action to ensure that the policies of the executive department and agencies are consistent with the principles, criteria, and requirements of this order. The Office of Management and Budget shall review the results of implementing this order and report thereon to the President one year after the date of this order.
Section 6. Preservation of Existing Authority. Nothing in this order is in any way intended to limit any existing authority of heads of executive departments and agencies to approve privatization of proposals that are otherwise consistent with law.
Section 7. Judicial Review. This order is intended only to improve the internal management of the executive branch, and is not intended to create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable by a party against the United States, its agencies or instrumentality's, its officers or employees, or any other person.
/a/George H.W. Bush
THE WHITE HOUSE April 30, 1992
Read closely. This executive orders approves the selling off of the The United Staes of America to benefit the coporate private entity known as United States.
USA is looooong gone.

sombraa110

Electoral Member
Feb 1, 2010
anti-americans

First off, I kind of have a feeling this post is going to get a lot of hype, seeming a lot of people in this community come from a place where the dislike of Americans is pretty high.

I just have a question.

Why?

In 1775 we declared war on the British Empire, in the year 1783 we won the war and became our own free country, we were a Democratic Republic. I see a lot of people claiming that the USA is an Empire. We are of no such thing. We are still a Democratic Republic, not a monarchy or an oligarchy.

In the following years we had a Civil War, the Union was victorious, setting all the black slaves free, but our racism and "Jim Crow" laws didnt end untill the 80's or 90's. We got over that problem, up to that point, we are still a Democratic Republic.

On the date 12,7,41 we where obliterated at Pearl Harbor, our Pacific fleet destroyed, open for attack. The next day, war was declared between the USA and the Axis powers, the US once again in another World War to help out their Allies.

But before the second world war, there was a first. And if an event never happened, we would never have joined the Allies. In the teens we were more likely to enter on the axis side. This all changed when The sinking of the Lusitania cruise ship by a German submarine and the Zimmermann note. The Lusitania was a passenger ship that a German torpedo hit and sunk, killing about 100 US passengers. This ignited the US to join the allies.

Imagine the US joining the Axis, and then again in WWII. If you look at it, there would be no France, there would be no UK, there would be no Russia, hell, even the US wouldn't exist. But we helped the right people, and we won.

Let's not forget the D-Day landings and paradroppings behind enemy lines the night before. Without the Ameicans the landings would have been a terrible slaughter for the Allies.

In the 60's we went to Vietnam to help out the French and the South Vietnamese, we were abandoned and sent to fight a force that memorized the land like we memorize our rooms. The US never lost a battle in Vietnam, we just lost the war with our week politics, just like always.

The United States is a very important contributor to medicine aswell. Without us, you would still be searching for a cure for Small Pox. We have made HUGE advancements in medical science and Military technology. And without us, there would be a Soviet flag on the moon, and the Soviets would still be in the Middle east, and they would have a huge hand in everything. There would still be a communist Soviet Union.

Now please, i'm not looking for a flame war, i just want a simple explanation, i have nothing against anyone of another country. If you have anything to say just comment back.

Lastly, today, from all the bs we recive from ourselves and others. We are STILL a Democratic republic, we STILL have loyal citizens, we STILL have an amazing Armed Force, and we are STILL on this planet. That is all i have to say.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Re: anti-americans

Sadly, this person is both right and wrong. He has a very simplistic idea of how the US became involved with the First World War (and by the way, even the British now admit that they were smuggling tons of munitions on the Lusitania, which made it a completely legitimate target of war), does not realize that right after Pearl Harbor we declared war ONLY against Japan the next day (the Germans declared war against us two days later), which brought us into the European war). Had the Germans not declared war against the USA, we would not have gone into that one, at least not then.

In Vietnam (which I did two tour in by the way), we were NOT abandoned by anyone except by the US Congress. It was the Democratic Political Party that turned against that war, and cut off funding and supplies. We had agreed, in the "political settlement" of the war to keep supplying South Vietnam with arms and munitions. North Vietnam agreed NOT to invade the South.

The North did not keep its agreement at all. And the Democrats stopped providing anything to help the south. The result was the complete loss of South Vietnam.

If you are going to recite history, it does help if you actually know a bit about it.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta

I think it's because of their Smugness. their Attitude towards other people on this planet.

Not saying that all of them are like that but a vast majority of Americans seem to think they're the greatest and have very little respect towards others.

They have a Cocky, me me attitude that really is pathetic.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

I don't harbour any anti-American feelings but I can somewhat understand why some people do. The US is an easy target due its size, influence, affluence & its military. With those attributes and the way you sometimes wield them, you are going to breed resentment with some.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

I think it's because of their Smugness. their Attitude towards other people on this planet.

Not saying that all of them are like that but a vast majority of Americans seem to think they're the greatest and have very little respect towards others.

It's not deliberate. They have no idea they are being that way because that is the way TV raised them to think.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

First off, I kind of have a feeling this post is going to get a lot of hype, seeming a lot of people in this community come from a place where the dislike of Americans is pretty high.

I just have a question.

Why?
Unless you are lol500 in this forum, plagiarism may be one reason why.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

And on the other hand lots of other people have a smug attitude towards all Americans.

Our attitudes are less smug towards other people on the planet but more in being proud of who we are. That rubs those other people the wrong way. A hundred nations can wave their flags with pride and chant their countries name but if the Americans do it we are arrogant.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

America use to be a great country, it really did.

Post Eisenhower is when it began to slide into a nation built on debt.

Dems and Republicans are all to blame and now a nation that could build anything builds nothing.

Obama won't change a thing, he's the same.

It's a true shame, question is, which nation will emerge as the new super power....China...India?

Yikes.