Was WWII about what we were told it was about?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Hell yeah. Creepy WWI ghosts and such during WWII combat. The artwork was bizzare and vivid.

I loved those old DC comics. Buy a six foot Frankenstein Monster for 50 cents. Xray glassed. The Lincoln copper penny that was worth $3000.00.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Only if you studied from comic books in school.
The mind does not discriminate where the information comes from. Most people get their scientific information (those that read it anyways) from the National Inquirer and like sources. Once information, true or false, is filed in the cabinet of the mind, the mind no longer discerns what the source was. Any information accessed from the file cabinet is then filtered through our belief systems and prejudices. The truth is really irrelevant if it doesn't fit in with our world view. Whatever you believe about the WWI or WWII, no amout of facts will ever change your mind, that is just human nature. I have read enough contradictory information about so many of our sacred cows that I can truly say that I do not know the truth about any of it, other than what I have personally experienced. To me, everything else is just someone else' opinion.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The mind does not discriminate where the information comes from. Most people get their scientific information (those that read it anyways) from the National Inquirer and like sources. Once information, true or false, is filed in the cabinet of the mind, the mind no longer discerns what the source was. Any information accessed from the file cabinet is then filtered through our belief systems and prejudices. The truth is really irrelevant if it doesn't fit in with our world view. Whatever you believe about the WWI or WWII, no amout of facts will ever change your mind, that is just human nature. I have read enough contradictory information about so many of our sacred cows that I can truly say that I do not know the truth about any of it, other than what I have personally experienced. To me, everything else is just someone else' opinion.

As to differernt or contradictory information. Then seek the truth. Using your belief If I read enough books stsing the earth is flat and the universe rotates aroun Earth. Then that would be ingrained in me, i would then belive it though from other informations sources i know that is not true.

As I mentioned - Only if you read comic books or cannot tell the difference between fact and fiction.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The mind does not discriminate where the information comes from.

Wrong.

Our ability to think and reason teaches us to do things like be critical of sources: even little kids learn not to trust some one who lies to or misleads them on a regular basis.

Most people get their scientific information (those that read it anyways) from the National Inquirer and like sources.

I can't say. All I can go on is personal experience where most people I know don't live inside the plot of the movie "Men in Black" amd most DON'T read the National Inquirer; they gain their scientific information from better quality sources, either published, or on the web. Maybe thats the way people are in the interior of BC (my experience again makes me sceptical of that) but you are making a sweeping generalization with no back up information besides your own prejudices.

Once information, true or false, is filed in the cabinet of the mind, the mind no longer discerns what the source was.

Again wrong, as stated previously.

Any information accessed from the file cabinet is then filtered through our belief systems and prejudices. The truth is really irrelevant if it doesn't fit in with our world view. Whatever you believe about the WWI or WWII, no amout of facts will ever change your mind, that is just human nature.

This is the only part of your diatribe that contains any semblance to fact but its still not there. Yes, we filter information through our beliefs, be they in science, historical record, eye witness accounts, a divine being or whatever but that doesn't mean everyone's filters are that far out of whack. I read many of those same comicbooks, Sgt Rock, Wierd War, The Losers and what have you, but I knew they were stories: fiction set in a mostly fictional setting, with only the most superficial connection to real events. I also spent a lot of time in my school library, as a kid, going through a lot of WW II history books (it started with fascination with guns/tanks/airplanes when I was young and the desire to learn more about the events themselves grew as I got older). Sometimes (not often) there was contradictory information and I was able to make decisions about did I NEED the contradictions resolved, and if so, which source(s) did I find to be more reliable... often by reading more sources of information. Something I KNOW you did not do with your original post; instead you are prjecting and appear to be guilty of acting as you claim others do.

I have read enough contradictory information about so many of our sacred cows that I can truly say that I do not know the truth about any of it, other than what I have personally experienced. To me, everything else is just someone else' opinion.

Well I would consider the accuracy of your sources pretty carefully: if they're anything like the tripe in the OP, you're just imbibing more crap that is on the same level or lower than the National Inquirer... as you claim so many others do.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Isn't it nice that we are free to express our opinions? I hope you feel better.

Also, you missed the point of posting the OP in the first place.

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Isn't it nice that we are free to express our opinions? I hope you feel better.

Also, you missed the point of posting the OP in the first place.

Well, if by point, you mean a critical analysis of why our nation, among so many others, got involved in the War, then you're too late: I've been doing that since I was in my teens. Nothing new has come to light to me from this thread, save that there people who are absolute hyprocites when it comes to hiding behind freedom of expression: just because my grandfather (and so many others) fought to give you the freedom to express erroneous assumptions and call them fact, doesn't mean I have to let this type of crap go unchallenged. The right to express does go both ways.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
WW 2 was literally a smashing success nobodies grandfather did a ****ing thing to change any other thing otherwise we wouldn't have done the same ****ing things constantly since the end of that war which never ended. Where the hell is grampy now and why can't the blind deaf old fool recognize the same goddamn fascist bastards in power now that he says he saw so clearly defeated by the forces of righteousness then? He failed, they all failed, they all got sucked in by the lords and ladies of the banks.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I'm not a big history student but I do remember speaking to a retired WWII German Luftwaffe JU-52 Transport pilot who told me of many trips into Italy to pickup wooden crates of navigation instruments that had a General Motors stamp on the bill of lading (document of contents) and also hauling materials from Sweden in GE containers. Later, in the military I did learn the US carried on a secret trade with the AXIS powers all during the war. Then later attempted to conceal the facts. Many small parts and electronics items were being manufactured in the US probably under a "Defeat the Nazi's" banner.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well, if by point, you mean a critical analysis of why our nation, among so many others, got involved in the War, then you're too late: I've been doing that since I was in my teens. Nothing new has come to light to me from this thread, save that there people who are absolute hyprocites when it comes to hiding behind freedom of expression: just because my grandfather (and so many others) fought to give you the freedom to express erroneous assumptions and call them fact, doesn't mean I have to let this type of crap go unchallenged. The right to express does go both ways.
Where have I stated that the quotes in the OP constituted any truth. I have stated that I posted it to stimulate debate and to show an alternative view of history. You should wear looser underwear if it takes so little to get them all in a bunch.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Where have I stated that the quotes in the OP constituted any truth. I have stated that I posted it to stimulate debate and to show an alternative view of history. You should wear looser underwear if it takes so little to get them all in a bunch.

Best read what you wrote and posted. It comes across that you believed it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Best read what you wrote and posted. It comes across that you believed it.
Yup! I posted this:
There are two sides to every story. We only got one. Controversy stimulates debate. I don't know what happened since I wasn't there but I have a healthy skepticism about what I've been told is the truth.

That is proof positive that I thought the OP was the truth.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yup! I posted this:
There are two sides to every story. We only got one. Controversy stimulates debate. I don't know what happened since I wasn't there but I have a healthy skepticism about what I've been told is the truth.

That is proof positive that I thought the OP was the truth.

You're a trolling now aren't you?