Video Game Discussion

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Bought the game, realized at the point of installation that I required a credit card or to buy monthly little cards every month in order to continue playing the damn thing. Of course then I see the very very small fine print on the bottom of the box stating additional fees and such are required.

I tried the 10 day trial, wasn't all that impressed, and the fact that one has to continually pay per month to continue playing a game you already paid to use in the first place really turned me off on the whole thing.

So it's just sitting in the desk, not installed, all the keys still active and never used, and nobody wants it... even when I offered to give it away just to get rid of the damn thing.

Worst game purchase I have made in a very long time..... I listened to the hype and I wanted something new..... I guess I should have looked further into it.

They should also make it more noticable a warning describing additional pay as you play charges on games like these.... either making the text bigger and in white (Not small and tan which almost blends into the packaging) or the person at the store should notify you prior to purchasing...... cuz once it was opened, I couldn't return it.

That game has left a foul taste of scum in my mouth.

`Caveat emptor`

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Praxius, you're losing some geek credibility with your last post. ;)

Of course.... I'm a nerd, not a geek.... a nerd is someone who has some brains about their geekyness.... and my brain tells me not to pay a bunch of more money for a game I don't really enjoy, let alone want to take up most of my days, just so I feel I'm getting my money's worth.....

En'Hwerv N' Huwave.... with the goblins and pixis picking at my ear buns as such.... It's CRAYZEEEE!!!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Just teasing ya, Praxius.

I don't mind paying a monthly fee for a game if there is regular content updates, good support and a good community. Running a mmorpg is not cheap, the cost of servers, bandwidth, on-going development & support can get pretty expensive. Some companies do it better then others, hence their subscriber rates.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Just teasing ya, Praxius.

I don't mind paying a monthly fee for a game if there is regular content updates, good support and a good community. Running a mmorpg is not cheap, the cost of servers, bandwidth, on-going development & support can get pretty expensive. Some companies do it better then others, hence their subscriber rates.

Don't worry, I know you were just messing around.... I just decided to contiue with it. :p

But that's one thing I will never jump into.... I will not pay for a game to play, only to end up having to dish out more money to play it..... friggin reminds me of a cell phone company.

I have many online/multiplayer games which cost nothing to play online.... and that was also one of the other main reasons why I bought a Wii over the PS3 or X-Box 360..... internet is free, playing the games online are free, and I don't have to pay any additional monthly fees.

Heck in regards to continual content and support/communities, Half-Life 1 you paid for once, and you could use it forever pretty much. I bought one game, then I got to download Day of Defeat, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Team Fortress Classic, Death Match Classic, Counter-Strike..... and a crap load of other mods for the game.

And there's still a load of people still playing it today..... a game that's been around since 1998. Half-Life 2 is along the same lines, and I just got a few other games free to download......

To me and my own personal experience and in reference to examples such as the above games, there's no excuse to continually jip people for monthly online play as some do. If you want decent continual development.... pass it over to the fans, give them the tools and programs so they can create their own levels, characters, modifications, weapons, etc..... then let them submit them to the core company which developed the game, they choose the things they feel would help evolve the game, and make it a collective patch for everybody to download for free like a community map pack that had for Unreal Tournament 2004.

Speaking of UT2004, there were plenty of cool mods, maps and such bult by the community, because they supplied the programs on the discs/DVD's when you bought it. One in paticular that caught my eye and got me addicted was Red Orchestra 3.1... which won game/mod of the year and the guys who made the game won a crap load of money and started their own company..... not to mention were allowed to use the Unreal Engine to make their mod into a full game:

http://www.redorchestragame.com/

So to me, there's no excuse for charging people more then what they already paid, just so they can continue to play the game they already paid for.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Oh I've played many games in my life, only some have any lasting appeal that I think back on them and say "That was great fun"

Back in the day: X-Com and the Quest for Glory games

More recently: Battlefield 1942 and more importantly, its swarm of modifications from Star Wars, to Pirates.

And of Course, the Nintendo classics, especially Mario-Kart, which is pretty fun on the Wii. Wii fit is kinda fun too. But we'll see how time pans out on those.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
There are some "jump out" moments in that game, eh Lester?:cool:

It is a shame that you never finished it, as there is a twist that has to be seen to be believed!8O:cool:8O
They should have an icon that pops up saying"change underwear now":lol: it's still on my xbox ...waiting...lurking(shiver)

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
Annika, could you let me know if Fables 2 is worth getting after you have played it a little, please? No spoilers though! Thanks.:smile:

i just got fable 2 today (opening day) and it is freaking sweet. there is so much more options, clothing, food, people, weapons, u name it. u can pick ur gender even. the music is great, it has familiar places, but they r extended and everything. the graphix r outstanding, and u even have a canine companion that changes through good an evil as you do. i'm so in love.
so with that being said i only logged on to answer ur question. i'm going back to my game now so i'll c u all in a couple of days *totaly addicted*

tanyaacatherine

Oct 21, 2008
Favourite Video Game

Rozalin (Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories from Disgaea series) , Samus Aran (Metroid series) , Link (The Legend of Zelda series) are some of my favourite video games. Classic video game goodness tracks the history of horror video games, topics of the best , reviews, profiles, the works.

Moderator's Edit. Link removed from sig.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I preordered the Fable 2 Limited Edition strategy guide from Amazon.ca. I took a peek at it in the local EB Games store, and it looks like it will be a sweet game. Hopefully the Limited Edition game will get released for the PC as well.

They also had the collector's edition version of the Fallout 3 guide, but I am also ordering that from Amazon. I can't believe the price difference! It will cost me $25 for the Fallout guide on Amazon, but it is $39 at EB Games! I think I will be able to wait longer for the guides with such a price difference.;-)

Four more days and Fallout 3(Collector's Edition) will be mine!!!! Awesome!:cool:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Fallout 3 is going to rock. What kinda video card do you have, Shadow?

Alas, my video card is kind of sucky. I have a Geforce 7800 GT OC(256mb, PCI-express). Also, my computer is only an AMD 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core. I just want to play the game, and it doesn't matter if I can't get all the bells and whistles.

I was able to play Two Worlds, Oblivion, Bioshock, and Doom 3 will pretty good graphic settings. Hopefully I'll be able to run Fallout 3.

Man, I can't believe I am saying that. Fallout 3. For many, many years(especially after the demise of Black Isle Studios) I never thought I would see another game in the Fallout universe.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Honestly I don't get games like Fable, I just want to shoot s h i t.:violent3:

I still enjoy playing the older Doom games from time to time. Even though the graphics are quite poor compared to the games of today, I think they are great games. They are classics!

I have the Doom Collector's Edition. You get your money's worth with that collection. Did you ever play that one, Avro?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Alas, my video card is kind of sucky. I have a Geforce 7800 GT OC(256mb, PCI-express). Also, my computer is only an AMD 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core. I just want to play the game, and it doesn't matter if I can't get all the bells and whistles.

I was able to play Two Worlds, Oblivion, Bioshock, and Doom 3 will pretty good graphic settings. Hopefully I'll be able to run Fallout 3.

Man, I can't believe I am saying that. Fallout 3. For many, many years(especially after the demise of Black Isle Studios) I never thought I would see another game in the Fallout universe.

Pick up a 8800GT, about $100. it's well worth it.