U.S. soldier kills up to 16 Afghan civilians

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
At the risk of snide and sarcastic remarks from the peanut gallery: I have had a severe head trauma from being hit by a logging truck who was traveling at 90 km/hr and I have never come close to wanting to kill anybody.

And that means what?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If he had a head injury that was so significant that it would excuse a murderous rampage, he should have been discharged. The fact that he successfully completed all physical and psychological tests after the head injury indicates that this "head injury" was not significant enough to warrant any concerns. It sounds like a post-event excuse.
It's potential mitigating circumstance.

Regarding the book burning, if a pile of bibles was going to be set on fire, would you believe that the person starting the fire was completely oblivious to the fact that they were bibles?
Irrelevant.

At the risk of snide and sarcastic remarks from the peanut gallery: I have had a severe head trauma from being hit by a logging truck who was traveling at 90 km/hr and I have never come close to wanting to kill anybody.
Neither have I. But I have met people with severe head trauma, that have suffered severe nightmares, that have cause insomnia, and that causes all manner of other psychosis.

So you're a smart guy that can't think of anything more clever to say than "you're completely stupid"?
I said utterly, you said you were utterly stupid, then went on to express complete stupidity.

Work on it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That sounds about right. Hockey players, cyclists, car accident victims ... the list goes on and on .. and if any one of those people with a bump on the head went on a murderous rampage, the head injury wouldn't make any difference when it came to prosecution. It's like rapists that claim, after they've been caught, that they had an unfortunate childhood. It makes no difference.

How about doing a tad of research before coming to such an asinine conclusion.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
That's protection?

Now everything else that I read in that article about this incident is prefaced with things like "officials spoke on condition of anonymity" which usually means they're still investigating and they haven't laid charges yet. The police do it here all the time, frankly I sometimes wonder why they bother even holding a press conference they reveal so little.

So the guy may face capital charges? What are the alternatives?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That sounds about right.
Wrong as usual.

Hockey players, cyclists, car accident victims ... the list goes on and on .. and if any one of those people with a bump on the head went on a murderous rampage, the head injury wouldn't make any difference when it came to prosecution.
Wrong again, as usual.

It's like rapists that claim, after they've been caught, that they had an unfortunate childhood. It makes no difference.
Three for three.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So the guy may face capital charges? What are the alternatives?

Well yours would be to hand him over to the Afghanis. Who would sentence him to death, same day and off with his head. All done within hours

It is apparent you have no idea of what constitutes Justice in Afghanistan.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Back to completely it is...

Bump on the head?

Do you have a link to a quote of that description in the media?

I posted a link upthread. The guy had a head injury, possibly from a car accident, and after the accident he was cleared physically and psychologically. According to medical doctors and psychologists, there was nothing wrong with him when he was trained as a sniper in 2008, after the head injury. It's absurd to look for anything in the guy's past to excuse what he did.

Well yours would be to hand him over to the Afghanis. Who would sentence him to death, same day and off with his head. All done within hours

It is apparent you have no idea of what constitutes Justice in Afghanistan.

The US practices capital punishment ... so what's the problem?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
According to medical doctors and psychologists, there was nothing wrong with him when he was trained as a sniper in 2008, after the head injury.
Your link doesn't say that. Most of them don't. They elude to the fact that he cleared sniper psych, before the accident.

It's absurd to look for anything in the guy's past to excuse what he did.
Who's excusing?

Your head injury impeding your ability to stick to reality?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I posted a link upthread. The guy had a head injury, possibly from a car accident, and after the accident he was cleared physically and psychologically. According to medical doctors and psychologists, there was nothing wrong with him when he was trained as a sniper in 2008, after the head injury. It's absurd to look for anything in the guy's past to excuse what he did.

The US practices capital punishment ... so what's the problem?

Something caused him to snap - he has had a number of tours in Iraq. While you are ready to Judge, sentence and execute.

Me I will wait for the trial.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Something caused him to snap - he has had a number of tours in Iraq. While you are ready to Judge, sentence and execute.

Me I will wait for the trial.
But it's the Americans Goobs. They don't get no stinkin' trials, when the usual Suspects get involved.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I seem to have a different perspective on soldiers. My perspective comes from reading the autobiography of my grandmother's grandfather, who was a General under Napoleon, my father, who was a lieutenant, my son in law, who has had several tours in Afghanistan ... and so on. I see no reason to pamper a murderer, but that's just me.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
WASHINGTON — The American staff sergeant suspected of killing 16 Afghan villagers had been drinking alcohol on the night of the massacre — a violation of military rules in combat zones — and suffering from the stress related to his fourth combat tour and tensions with his wife about the deployments, a senior American official said Thursday

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/w...-attack-snapped-us-official-says.html?_r=1&hp

Is all this starting to build his "defense"????

Wonder what kind of stress the Afghans are put through on a daily basis as they contend with a protracted war with these "incidents" happening with monotonous frequency.

What about the families affected by this crime??

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/w...-attack-snapped-us-official-says.html?_r=1&hp

Is all this starting to build his "defense"????

Wonder what kind of stress the Afghans are put through on a daily basis as they contend with a protracted war with these "incidents" happening with monotonous frequency.

What about the families affected by this crime??

That's what's been swirling around in the news these last few days ... drunk, upset about his marriage, head injury prior to being physically and psychologically cleared to be trained as a sniper ... the poor soldier ... it's not his fault.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I seem to have a different perspective on soldiers. My perspective comes from reading the autobiography of my grandmother's grandfather, who was a General under Napoleon, my father, who was a lieutenant, my son in law, who has had several tours in Afghanistan ... and so on. I see no reason to pamper a murderer, but that's just me.

How many Soldiers have you met with PTSD?

Also please update yourself with the atrocities committed during the Napoleonic Wars.

The Autobiography you read did it have those details in it?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Our troops hand over their area to the US after years of at least "Trying" to not kill innocent people in their homes and treating them like human beings.... and they go and fk it all up just as I expected they would.

Winning the Hearts and Minds were you Prax?

JTF2 command 'encouraged' war crimes, soldier alleges - Canada - CBC News

How dare they whine and bitch about getting carpet bombed and rolled over the a superior military force, oppressed and occupied, then their buddies come along to help occupy and oppress them with a smile for over a decade +,

Did someone say "carpet bombing"?