Stupid, Dumb and Just Plain Ignorant Cop Thread

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I have no problem going to the DUI thread and explaining to you, how I have have not challenged my own claims that speed does not cause accidents. I'm not surprised you are confused and I can understand your need to drag other stuff into this thread when you start getting PWNed. Please, do carry on.

So what you are saying is that if you enter a curve designed for 80 kmh at 130 kmh and go over the side, then speed wasn't the cause of the accident?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So what you are saying is that if you enter a curve designed for 80 kmh at 130 kmh and go over the side, then speed wasn't the cause of the accident?
That's when the jackbooted cops come along and drop some Police State chunks of sky on ya.

Well according to cannuck anyways.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Ever have the wrong guy situation? I was once working at my work place when the
cops show up and take me to the station. They inform me that I am going to a town
somewhere in BC that I had never been to. I apparently, had ignored court appearances
on a paternity matter for months and they finally caught up with me. At first I was mad
as hell, partly because I didn't know anything about this and partly because no one was
listening to me. They just kept saying oh ya right you're out of excuses buddy and
you won't wiggle out of this one, etc etc.
It was becoming funny actually, as I imagined what it would be like when I arrived in
court the wrong guy with the same name and no connection to the incident. As luck
would have it a senior officer came by, one that I knew and asked what the hell I was doing
there. I told him to talk to the two clowns in there behind the glass. It wasn't long before
there was a lot of activity and people expressing how sorry they were, and did I need a ride
back to work. Yes there are jerks and there are some serious jerks but there are a lot of
good folks too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ever have the wrong guy situation? I was once working at my work place when the
cops show up and take me to the station. They inform me that I am going to a town
somewhere in BC that I had never been to. I apparently, had ignored court appearances
on a paternity matter for months and they finally caught up with me. At first I was mad
as hell, partly because I didn't know anything about this and partly because no one was
listening to me. They just kept saying oh ya right you're out of excuses buddy and
you won't wiggle out of this one, etc etc.
It was becoming funny actually, as I imagined what it would be like when I arrived in
court the wrong guy with the same name and no connection to the incident. As luck
would have it a senior officer came by, one that I knew and asked what the hell I was doing
there. I told him to talk to the two clowns in there behind the glass. It wasn't long before
there was a lot of activity and people expressing how sorry they were, and did I need a ride
back to work. Yes there are jerks and there are some serious jerks but there are a lot of
good folks too.

The senior office probably got where he was for a good reason! :smile:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Depends on the car, the road isn't the only part of the equation that was designed. Some cars are designed to take those corners at high speed without losing control. :lol:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That's not why he was arrested.

But don't let reality get in the way of your spin. LOL.

You're right, That's not why he was arrested,
When I had my training for ambulance attendant, one of the things you are taught,,you are in charge of the patient when the police let you, and you park your vehicle where they tell you to park it, since they are in charge of the safe flow of traffic around the scene. They also are responsible for the accident scene.
The fire truck was probably called in case of a fire, but since there was no visible fire, he should have stayed back until needed...
Just as in a case of fire in a vehicle we were instructed to wait until the scene was safe, even if I had fire training in the mill....things are the safest when each performs their specific duty...

A fireman should know that

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Depends on the car, the road isn't the only part of the equation that was designed. Some cars are designed to take those corners at high speed without losing control. :lol:

As a person who was closely connected with highway design for 35 years, I can assure you that posted cautionary speeds on curves are decided with the capabilities of the vehicles in mind. If you are 20 kmh over the posted speed and "lose it" on the curve, SPEED is the dominating factor.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
As a person who was closely connected with highway design for 35 years, I can assure you that posted cautionary speeds on curves are decided with the capabilities of the vehicles in mind.

The highways are not built for exotic sports cars. The highways aren't built for the exceptions. Like I said, it depends on the vehicle.

As someone who was closely connected with highway design, could you describe the process for determining the advisory speed limits? Is there a model, a formula? Do they have test cars with gimble mounted gyros? A combination of factors?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The highways are not built for exotic sports cars. The highways aren't built for the exceptions. Like I said, it depends on the vehicle.

As someone who was closely connected with highway design, could you describe the process for determining the advisory speed limits? Is there a model, a formula? Do they have test cars with gimble mounted gyros? A combination of factors?

If you have a car that is engineered so they don't fly off a curve at 20 kmh over then it becomes a moot point. I was referring to actual accidents! :lol:

I've been away from it for 13 years and of course we just referred to tables that were compiled from formulas where such factors as friction, gravity and centrifugal force comprised the formula. Appromations would be a 240 metre radius curve would handle 80 kmh, a 350 metre radius curve would handle 90 kmh, a 500 metre radius curve would handle 100 kmh. These are all close approximations.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If you have a car that is engineered so they don't fly off a curve at 20 kmh over then it becomes a moot point. I was referring to actual accidents! :lol:

People still have accidents in Ferrari, Maserati, Lotus, Corvettes, and Porsche sports cars. They are definitely designed to exceed the specs your car, or my car can handle.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
When I had my training for ambulance attendant, one of the things you are taught,,you are in charge of the patient when the police let you, and you park your vehicle where they tell you to park it, since they are in charge of the safe flow of traffic around the scene. They also are responsible for the accident scene.
The fire truck was probably called in case of a fire, but since there was no visible fire, he should have stayed back until needed...
Just as in a case of fire in a vehicle we were instructed to wait until the scene was safe, even if I had fire training in the mill....things are the safest when each performs their specific duty...

Not here. The police do not tell ambulance and FRs what to do or when. That would be incident command which is normally highest rank of first in although if the ambulance beats us to the scene they pass scene control to the officer on the first truck in so they can deal with the patients. Actually the police are usually the last to arrive. No fire fighter and few ambulance attendants would even go near the car until the scene was safe. That means blocking the whole highway if we feel like it. Been to quite a few MVAs both as ambulance driver and firefighter and so far the cops have never argued with us as to safety.
The officer on the truck was arrested because the cop is an idiot.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Firefighters are in charge of the scene. The police officer in the video had to pay $18,000 dollars because he (like you) was completely wrong.

Missouri Police Officer Fined $18,000 for Arresting Firefighter on Emergency Call

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So he wasn't arrested for helping an injured person.

One could argue that he was because the truck was being placed to protect (or help) an injured person but I'm not really interested in playing your silly word games. Clearly you have no defense of this idiot officer so you need to make it about me. I'm flattered that I mean so much to you. Please continue.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
One could argue that he was because the truck was being placed to protect (or help) an injured person but I'm not really interested in playing your silly word games.
Ya, you could argue semantics, that, moving goal posts and building straw man arguments, is all you're good at.

Clearly you have no defense of this idiot officer so you need to make it about me.
Nothing beyond what was stated in the court case. Which sounds reasonable from what is available on the net. He was convicted on his record, not for malicious intent.

I'm flattered that I mean so much to you. Please continue.
Oh you are indeed. I love watching you flail around back peddling, moving goal posts and building straw men, and now starting chicken little threads. When the board is slow, I can always count on you to provide me with copious amounts entertainment.

Hows the rebuttal to your failed argument in the DUI thread coming? I'm looking forward to another entertaining example of your use of fallacy.

Just don't let it interfere with this lovely chicken little thread of yours. I would be greatly disappointed if it went silent.

Please go on, I'm very entertained by your views of the Police State.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
He was convicted on his record, not for malicious intent.

Never said he had malicious intent. I think he's a stupid, dumb and/or just plain ignorant cop and that is why I posted the vid. If you disagree that he is a stupid, dumb and/or just plain ignorant cop, perhaps you would like to explain why.