Ralph Klein to finally get Order of Canada

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
An exaggeration, perhaps, but he did finger the residents of Salmon Arm from the train. Now I don't doubt for a minute that someone fingered him first, but he was supposed to be the "big guy" leaving an impression, which I doubt the other guy gave a rat's ass about!

Trudeau did far worse than flip off a few protesters. I'm no fan of Trudeau and I'd fault him for a lot of things, but I actually like his attitude. Doesn't bother me who he flips off.

He fingered Salmon Arm,last time I looked that was in Canada.
Finger one,finger all

This makes no sense.

PM John Diefenbaker...

What did he do?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Trudeau did far worse than flip off a few protesters. I'm no fan of Trudeau and I'd fault him for a lot of things, but I actually like his attitude. Doesn't bother me who he flips off.

It's generally people with strong personalities who actually have strong beliefs that really piss people off. Trudeau is a perfect example.

This thread, which has Trudeau and Dief mentioned, reminds me of a tv show my parents would watch; it was the one with Ed Asner as the editor of a newspaper...can't remember the name.

At one point, they were discussing a very popular cartoonist, his strips were very political, and causing much grief and hassle. In the show, the cartoonist was named 'Diefenbaker', which, to Canadians, was a good play on the real-life model of the character, Garry Trudeau and 'Doonesbury'.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Dief the Chief cancelled the Avro Arrow, (built in Canada), thereby earning the disdain of some Canadians for ever. I believe he decided to go with the American missile thingy instead. The plane was years ahead of its time.

Dief was probably bought and paid for as most cons can be.............even way back then.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's generally people with strong personalities who actually have strong beliefs that really piss people off. Trudeau is a perfect example.

This thread, which has Trudeau and Dief mentioned, reminds me of a tv show my parents would watch; it was the one with Ed Asner as the editor of a newspaper...can't remember the name.

At one point, they were discussing a very popular cartoonist, his strips were very political, and causing much grief and hassle. In the show, the cartoonist was named 'Diefenbaker', which, to Canadians, was a good play on the real-life model of the character, Garry Trudeau and 'Doonesbury'.
Lou Grant....

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Ralph who?

"I wasn't surprised that she crossed over to the Liberals. I don't think she ever did have a Conservative bone in her body. Well, maybe one.

-- Speaking at a charity roast in 2006, Klein comments on MP Belinda Stronach -- who used to date fellow Tory MP Peter McKay -- crossing the floor to join the Liberal Party.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Dief the Chief cancelled the Avro Arrow, (built in Canada), thereby earning the disdain of some Canadians for ever. I believe he decided to go with the American missile thingy instead. The plane was years ahead of its time.

Dief was probably bought and paid for as most cons can be.............even way back then.

My memory of Dief is a little sketchy and I have no recall whatsoever of the Avro Arrow, but I do remember quite vividly one of the things that led to his political demise was his inability to listen to his cabinet ministers and take advice from experts. Tough S.O.B. though, sold lots of wheat to China and his loyalty to Canada and Saskatchewan were second to none. Bit like "Dubya" in he didn't take any crap.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
With his correct and famous statement ;

Let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark !!!

Hahaha, priceless !!!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Do Canadians in Alberta and Ontario differ dramatically on this issue? We polled 400 people in Edmonton and Toronto. We wanted to know how much one’s attitude toward the oil sands is influenced by regional proximity to the oil sands. The answer: Surprisingly little.
Both Edmontonians and Torontonians are concerned about the environmental impact of oil sands development. Yet, more than 80 per cent of both populations believe it’s possible to develop this resource in a way that balances economic development and environmental protection. Surprisingly, neither those in Toronto nor Edmonton view the oil sands from a regional lens: Both view it as important to all of Canada.

Making the oil sands personal - The Globe and Mail

Not that this will shut durry up.... but it is interesting.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
How, by attacking the homeless while drunk?

And then admitted he had a problem,takes a lot to do that.

Do Canadians in Alberta and Ontario differ dramatically on this issue? We polled 400 people in Edmonton and Toronto. We wanted to know how much one’s attitude toward the oil sands is influenced by regional proximity to the oil sands. The answer: Surprisingly little.
Both Edmontonians and Torontonians are concerned about the environmental impact of oil sands development. Yet, more than 80 per cent of both populations believe it’s possible to develop this resource in a way that balances economic development and environmental protection. Surprisingly, neither those in Toronto nor Edmonton view the oil sands from a regional lens: Both view it as important to all of Canada.

Making the oil sands personal - The Globe and Mail

Not that this will shut durry up.... but it is interesting.

And yet a mere .5% have any clue on what the oilsands even are.

The newfys know,their the ones working in the oilsands.