Ralph Klein to finally get Order of Canada

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
John A. Macdonald was against confederation until he saw it as an opportunity to advance his career and later resigned as Prime Minister after he was found taking bribes over the Canadian Pacific Railway and then using that bribe money to bribe voters to support his party. So, what are his achievements?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
John A. Macdonald was against confederation until he saw it as an opportunity to advance his career and later resigned as Prime Minister after he was found taking bribes over the Canadian Pacific Railway and then using that bribe money to bribe voters to support his party. So, what are his achievements?

For every great person there are always scads of naysayers who will jump on one or two failings in an attempt to discredit the person, the sad thing is these people themselves are often sadly lacking.

John A. Macdonald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let us know when you've accomplished as much. :lol:

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
For every great person there are always scads of naysayers who will jump on one or two failings in an attempt to discredit the person, the sad thing is these people themselves are often sadly lacking.

John A. Macdonald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't need to discredit Macdonald, just inform you of reality. Macdonald is often credited for two major things: confederation and the railroad. It is a historical fact that the man resigned in disgrace over bribery over the railroad and was against confederation before he was for it. Just telling you how the sausage factory works. You'd be better off disabusing yourself of political heroes. American-style myth-making doesn't work in Canada. Reality is too obvious to cover up. Canada is not a nation founded on principles, greatness and huge personalities. It was an administrative zone of the British empire designed by committee.

Let us know when you've accomplished as much. :lol:

Well, that's some exceptionally low criteria for greatness. Should I consider every person who's done more than me great at their job? Why should I consider a man a great prime minister because I've never accomplished what he has. If a doctor left a scalpel in a patient would you tell people complaining to let you know when they graduated from med school?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Say what you want about Ralph but he had Alberta's best interests at heart,that's why people loved him,and he stood up to the east which was a good thing for all of us that remember when Trudeau fingered the west.

Too bad with his disease he will probably not even know what he achieved.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
another lie.

An exaggeration, perhaps, but he did finger the residents of Salmon Arm from the train. Now I don't doubt for a minute that someone fingered him first, but he was supposed to be the "big guy" leaving an impression, which I doubt the other guy gave a rat's ass about!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
An exaggeration, perhaps, but he did finger the residents of Salmon Arm from the train. Now I don't doubt for a minute that someone fingered him first, but he was supposed to be the "big guy" leaving an impression, which I doubt the other guy gave a rat's ass about!

Another exaggeration. He did not finger the entire populace.

on a train trip through Salmon Arm, British Columbia, he "gave the finger" to a group of protesters through the carriage window – less widely remembered is that the protesters were shouting anti-French slogans at the train.\

But really.... why post the truth, lies are so much more tantalizing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Another exaggeration. He did not finger the entire populace.

on a train trip through Salmon Arm, British Columbia, he "gave the finger" to a group of protesters through the carriage window – less widely remembered is that the protesters were shouting anti-French slogans at the train.\

But really.... why post the truth, lies are so much more tantalizing.

OK Gerry, omit the "the". :lol: