Queen Honours Cretien

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I was not a fan.
1. Instead of simply saying "No" to Bush over Iraq, his "Well, we'll go to Kabul instead and I hope you won't be too angry" was the beginning of the morass we're in in Afghanistan.
2. He almost lost the country during the last referendum.
3. In part, a realization of his failure during the referendum led to the sponsorship scandal.
4. He clung to power too long; his battle with Martin and the sponsorship scandal gave us the Harper government.

Brother Spade

But Liberals swear by him - well I swear by him as well but my swearing is slightly different.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
1) Just saying no to mad US neo-cons. would have been imprudent.

2) Chretien saved the country during the last Quebec's referendum.

Big - How do you figure Chretien saved the country during the last referendum -
Now I am positive that Aliens are dropping their low IQ citizens off in Canada.
Bet you read the Enquirer and can relate to most of those stories Eh.

PS - How do you pronounce Eh in French my little friend.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Back to square one since you owe these credits to the Queen.

I owe Liz diddly squat. She's nothing more than a throwback to older times...a figurehead. We pay homage to her as a courtesy, like all Commonwealth nations.

Now try to stay on track here and respond to the comments at hand. Did Tobin have an active and important role to play during the Quebec referendum or not? Chretien was certainly instrumental in keeping the Canadian public informed about the situation but Tobin pulled it all together near the end when he orchestrated the rally in Montreal and set that huge Canadian flag adrift over the crowd. That act alone pushed the vote to the 'no' side.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Brother Spade

But Liberals swear by him - well I swear by him as well but my swearing is slightly different.

Goober, Spade has given only one side of the picture. Here is the other side.

Chrétien was astute enough to stay out of Iraq. If Harper had been the PM at that time, we would be involved in Iraq today up to our neck (or above our neck).

Chrétien slayed the deficit monster, he converted 40 billion $ plus Mulroney deficit into 10 billion plus surplus.

He brought back the economy from the life support (where Mulroney had put it) and had it roaring ahead again.

Spade blames Chrétien for almost losing the country during the referendum; I give him credit for saving the country during the referendum. I assume he had some part in the defeat of the referendum.

Chrétien was a big supporter of minority rights, gay rights agenda advanced substantially while Chrétien was the PM.

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec

Chrétien was astute enough to stay out of Iraq. If Harper had been the PM at that time, we would be involved in Iraq today up to our neck (or above our neck).

Chrétien slayed the deficit monster, he converted 40 billion $ plus Mulroney deficit into 10 billion plus surplus.

He brought back the economy from the life support (where Mulroney had put it) and had it roaring ahead again.

Spade blames Chrétien for almost losing the country during the referendum; I give him credit for saving the country during the referendum. I assume he had some part in the defeat of the referendum.

Chrétien was a big supporter of minority rights, gay rights agenda advanced substantially while Chrétien was the PM.

Frankly I think you have no idea of what politics is. If anything, Chretien was good at depoliticizing Canada's problems. Chretien was appealing to Quebecers because, like them, he was not caring too much about politics. Busying oneself with money and identity matters are the typically postmodern way to depoliticize social problems through naturalizing them.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No Risus, he deserves it by the Queen’s standards (unless you think that the Queen is in the pocket of the Liberal Party).
Nope. QE2 is obviously going off her rails. Corruption is not service. She gave the dolt the ribbon or medal for his service. The dolt is corrupt. She's nuts.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Frankly I think you have no idea of what politics is. If anything, Chretien was good at depoliticizing Canada's problems. Chretien was appealing to Quebecers because, like them, he was not caring too much about politics. Busying oneself with money and identity matters are the typically postmodern way to depoliticize social problems through naturalizing them.
Good points. :)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

He stayed out of Iraq and off we went to finally end up in Kandahar with most soldiers killed because we could only travel by road - - any fugn idiot would not want to be in the heartland of the Taliban.

Budgets - The GST, surplus EI 10's of Billions, transfer of 30 billion from our Pension Funds ( Civil Servant - Military - RCMP)also added - the economy started the turn around before he came to power - He devastated the Military with cuts and had the audacity to send troops with Little equipment to Bosnia and later to Afghanistan - and that was only supposed to be for 6 months if I recall correctly.

And precisely how did he save the country - Bouchard had him on the ropes- it was only near the date that he finally clued in as to how serious and close the vote could be. Real Genius -
Yep you are a dyed in the wool Liberal - Yet you have the audacity beyond worshiping Chretien to try and pass yourself off as having No Party Affiliation - Stop the bulsgxt -

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Big - The Right wing was split - NDP were a joke - only a fufn idiot of a Liberal would have lost - Now I think of Dion.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
He stayed out of Iraq and off we went to finally end up in Kandahar with most soldiers killed because we could only travel by road - - any fugn idiot would not want to be in the heartland of the Taliban.

I think we were right to go into Afghanistan, Goober. Taliban (which was sheltering Al Qaeda) needed to be taken out. It was the right decision and it still is.

Budgets - The GST, surplus EI 10's of Billions, transfer of 30 billion from our Pension Funds ( Civil Servant - Military - RCMP)also added - the economy started the turn around before he came to power - He devastated the Military with cuts and had the audacity to send troops with Little equipment to Bosnia and later to Afghanistan - and that was only supposed to be for 6 months if I recall correctly.

Hey, nobody said it is easy to balance the budget. Government must take tough decisions, must cause pain if it is going to eliminate the deficit. Chrétien did just the right thing. His detractors speak from both sides of their mouths. If he had not got rid of the deficit, I am sure they would be the first to condemn him as another Mulroney, for not getting rid of the deficit. Since he got rid of the deficit, his critics don’t like the way he did it, big deal. Balancing the budget is a messy, unpleasant, unpopular job. People are going to complain.

Indeed, if people like you didn’t complain as a result of balancing the budget, then one has to wonder, how come he balanced the budget without getting anybody mad at him? Did he really balance the budget, or was it all smoke and mirrors?

So balancing the budget is never pleasant, it is going to make some people mad. But he had the courage to do it, Mulroney didn’t.

And it is nonsense to say that economic recovery had started before Liberals came into power. Kim Campbell wouldn’t answer the simple question ‘what is the deficit’ time and again. Deficit was skyrocketing when Chrétien came to power. I remember when Martin proclaimed that he will balance the budget in a few years, reporters plainly were skeptical, they did not believe him. They kept asking him what happens if he could not balance the budget. To which his confident reply was, ‘we will balance it’.

Economy was very much on life support when Chrétien came to power, he is the one who rescued it. It was not a coincidence that Canadians gave him three back to back majorities.

And precisely how did he save the country - Bouchard had him on the ropes- it was only near the date that he finally clued in as to how serious and close the vote could be. Real Genius -

I did not say that he saved the country. What I said was that he gets some of the credit for saving the country (just as he would get some of the blame if the referendum had gone the other way).

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think we were right to go into Afghanistan, Goober. Taliban (which was sheltering Al Qaeda) needed to be taken out. It was the right decision and it still is.

Hey, nobody said it is easy to balance the budget. Government must take tough decisions, must cause pain if it is going to eliminate the deficit. Chrétien did just the right thing. His detractors speak from both sides of their mouths. If he had not got rid of the deficit, I am sure they would be the first to condemn him as another Mulroney, for not getting rid of the deficit. Since he got rid of the deficit, his critics don’t like the way he did it, big deal. Balancing the budget is a messy, unpleasant, unpopular job. People are going to complain.

Indeed, if people like you didn’t complain as a result of balancing the budget, then one has to wonder, how come he balanced the budget without getting anybody mad at him? Did he really balance the budget, or was it all smoke and mirrors?

So balancing the budget is never pleasant, it is going to make some people mad. But he had the courage to do it, Mulroney didn’t.

And it is nonsense to say that economic recovery had started before Liberals came into power. Kim Campbell wouldn’t answer the simple question ‘what is the deficit’ time and again. Deficit was skyrocketing when Chrétien came to power. I remember when Martin proclaimed that he will balance the budget in a few years, reporters plainly were skeptical, they did not believe him. They kept asking him what happens if he could not balance the budget. To which his confident reply was, ‘we will balance it’.

Economy was very much on life support when Chrétien came to power, he is the one who rescued it. It was not a coincidence that Canadians gave him three back to back majorities.

I did not say that he saved the country. What I said was that he gets some of the credit for saving the country (just as he would get some of the blame if the referendum had gone the other way).

SJPI think we were right to go into Afghanistan, Goober. Taliban (which was sheltering Al Qaeda) needed to be taken out. It was the right decision and it still is.I agree with that - Chretien & Martin sent troops poorly equiped - Check CBC for the list of soldiers killed in Afghanistan - It tells how each one died - the vast majority from roadside IED's - Canada could have procurred Choppers - may have taken 6 months - max - But Chretien / Martin did things on the cheap - Soldiers died because of that - same as in Bosnis - But you have strictly avoided answering my questions when i pointed out these facts to you - Do you remember the Medak Pocket - Chretien hushed that up - Canadian soldiers fought and yet many civilians were still murdered by the Croats- But this was anathemea to Chretien and Liberals - after all Bosnia was Peacekeeping wasn;t it? Blue Berets - soldiers welcomed and handing out choclate to children - No it was a fukn hell - And yes I lost friends because they has sweet fuk all for equipment - SJP -your wordsI did not say that he saved the country. What i said was that he gets some of the credit for saving the country (just as he would get some of the blame if the referendum had gone the other way).Best put your hat back on - if he is the leader as you have always stated he gets all the glory or all the grime - Not part of - all of it - Just like he saved the economy according to you - The US as always pulled Canada out of the shihole our economy was in - Witness Ontario taday - depenedant upon export to the US - hardest hit prov n Canada. - So face the fact - don't make them up. 2nd last point - You did not answer these points brought forward - Budgets - The GST, surplus EI 10's of Billions, transfer of 30 billion from our Pension Funds ( Civil Servant - Military - RCMP)also added - the economy started the turn around before he came to power - He devastated the Military with cuts and had the audacity to send troops with Little equipment to Bosnia and later to Afghanistan - and that was only supposed to be for 6 months if I recall correctly.Last but not least - Indeed, if people like you didn’t complain as a result of balancing the budget, then one has to wonder,--Could you clarify People Like me please and thank you

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Indeed, going into Afghanistan was the right decision.

Chretien does get credit for balancing the budget.

That is all I have to say about him that is good....now I am going to be increasingly critical.....

First of all, yes they balanced the budget, by a number of cuts that included gutting the military....by cancelling desperately needed helicopters...etc. Unacceptable in my books. As well, they had gov't revenues that were increasing by leaps and bounds....thanks largely to Lyin' Brian's NAFTA and his GST.....both of which the Lieberals were going to change.....remember?

Chretien was personally corrupt....he used the RCMP as his own little Gestapo in a personal vendetta against an honourable man who refused to be party to Jean the Don's corruption. In the end the Courts even derided the treatment of M. Beaudoin, the President of the BDC.

Chretien has the instincts of a despot....at APEC especially, and in his use of the RCMP.

Chretien's government was massively corrupt. The sponsorship scandal........the President of the Quebec Liberal Party fearing to testify because of connections between the Liberal Party and the mob.

A made man, a mobster, not only in cabinet, but when exposed as an influence peddler at least, protected with an ambassadorship. !!!!!!!!!! Look up Gagliano....anyone that DOESN"T believe he had mob connections never looked at his background.

In short, Chretien ran the most corrupt Canadian government EVER, making one long for the bad old days of Lyin Brian............and making Harper's government look like angels in white by comparison.

Chretien should be doing a stretch in Her Majesty's Prisons, IMHO

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Indeed, going into Afghanistan was the right decision.

Chretien does get credit for balancing the budget.

That is all I have to say about him that is good....now I am going to be increasingly critical.....

First of all, yes they balanced the budget, by a number of cuts that included gutting the military....by cancelling desperately needed helicopters...etc. Unacceptable in my books. As well, they had gov't revenues that were increasing by leaps and bounds....thanks largely to Lyin' Brian's NAFTA and his GST.....both of which the Lieberals were going to change.....remember?

Chretien was personally corrupt....he used the RCMP as his own little Gestapo in a personal vendetta against an honourable man who refused to be party to Jean the Don's corruption. In the end the Courts even derided the treatment of M. Beaudoin, the President of the BDC.

Chretien has the instincts of a despot....at APEC especially, and in his use of the RCMP.

Chretien's government was massively corrupt. The sponsorship scandal........the President of the Quebec Liberal Party fearing to testify because of connections between the Liberal Party and the mob.

A made man, a mobster, not only in cabinet, but when exposed as an influence peddler at least, protected with an ambassadorship. !!!!!!!!!! Look up Gagliano....anyone that DOESN"T believe he had mob connections never looked at his background.

In short, Chretien ran the most corrupt Canadian government EVER, making one long for the bad old days of Lyin Brian............and making Harper's government look like angels in white by comparison.

Chretien should be doing a stretch in Her Majesty's Prisons, IMHO
SJPJust for you a link regarding Colpy;s statements of Mob connections - Please read the article as Gagliano states legal action would be taken - Never happened - Makes a man wonder now doesn’t it?
http://www.nicaso.com/pages/doc_page180.html

After reading that report – which presented no specific date or quotations from the FBI documents – Gagliano said he has had enough of the innuendo."Now, I think, this, how do you say, sort of breaks the camel’s back," he said.Gagliano added that the widespread readership of the New York Daily News and the article’s availability in Canada on the Internet have taken attacks on his reputation to a level he can’t ignore.He said the report could also hurt the reputation of his wife and children and said he intends to respond."It’s going to be headline news, definitely. I’m aware of that," he said. "I won’t say anything until we deal with it legally. This is terrible. I have to take action, any action I can take. It’s my reputation and my family’s."Gagliano’s lawyer, Pierre Fournier, told the Canadian Press: "My client denies everything."Responding to a question from Conservative Leader Stephen Harper in the Commons yesterday, Martin said he had not seen the article in questionA decade ago, Gagliano found his rise to cabinet delayed after the RCMP told prime minister Jean Chrétien Gagliano’s accounting firm was working for companies owned by Agostino ****rera, who spent time in prison for conspiracy in the murder of another mobster. Gagliano’s firm later stopped working for ****rera’s firms.****rera came from the same Sicilian town as Gagliano and worked to help Gagliano get elected in his riding.In 1996, the Star reported police questioned Gagliano about his name appearing in the notebooks of suspicious characters, including a Mafia member fatally shot on Dec. 14, 1991, in Sicily.Antonio Enzio Salvo, 34, had lived in Gagliano’s Montreal-area riding before immigration officials forced him to return to Italy. Salvo was killed by a shotgun blast as he sat in his Mercedes Benz.Gagliano was cleared by the RCMP and eventually appointed to the Chrétien cabinet, becoming a minister of state in September, 1994, and labour minister in January, 1996.Another link

http://www.bcrevolution.ca/liberal_crime_syndicate.htm

CTV News | Gagliano says he'll fight to clear his name

Alfonso Gagliano told CTV's Question Period, he may have unknowingly crossed paths socially with organized crime members while he was an MP, but he was never involved in any criminal activities.

The former Liberal cabinet minister and former ambassador to Denmark told CTV's Question Period on Sunday that recent allegations against are damaging his reputation.Gagliano was responding to a story that surfaced in Thursday's edition of the New York Daily News is a lie.The article alleges Gagliano met with Frank Lino, a former Mafia capo-turned-informer.Gagliano insists no such meeting took place and he objects to the word of an accused criminal being taken over his.

Never did hear of galiano taking anyone to court - Does make a man like me or as you stated earlier " People Like Me "But then again I was born to wonder- That the links add up?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Could you clarify People Like me please and thank you

Goober, by ‘people like you’ I meant people like you, me or almost anybody. Since you were the one complaining here, I used the expression ‘people like you’, but it could be anybody.

But my point was that if nobody complains as a result of balancing the budget, then one has to wonder, was the budget really balanced, or was it all a sham? Any process of balancing the budget, no matter how you do it, is going to make a lot of people mad.

Balancing the budget involves cutting services and raising taxes, there is no other way to do it. That is going to make just about everybody mad, rich and poor alike. Indeed, it is a tribute to the astuteness and farsightedness of Canadians that they realized what Chrétien was trying to do and gave him three back to back majorities for his efforts (and his success in balancing the budget).

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Could you clarify People Like me please and thank you

Goober, by ‘people like you’ I meant people like you, me or almost anybody. Since you were the one complaining here, I used the expression ‘people like you’, but it could be anybody.

But my point was that if nobody complains as a result of balancing the budget, then one has to wonder, was the budget really balanced, or was it all a sham? Any process of balancing the budget, no matter how you do it, is going to make a lot of people mad.

Balancing the budget involves cutting services and raising taxes, there is no other way to do it. That is going to make just about everybody and, rich and poor alike. Indeed, it is a tribute to the astuteness and farsightedness of Canadians that they realized what Chrétien was trying to do and gave him three back to back majorities for his efforts (ad his success in balancing the budget).

Please reply on the other points I brought forward - Take your time as I am off to bed - Work starts at 5 am. Enjoy your evening.