Queen Honours Cretien

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
You assume wrongly that alienation is a conscious feeling. Anyway, all Canadians are subjects of her Majesty. Before being a free subject, one has to be subjected/alienated. That is why we are speaking since Hegel of the barred subject.

http://massthink.wordpress.com/2008/06/13/the-lacanian-subject-according-to-fink-the-barred-s-alienation/

Interesting but filled with more psychobabble than I care to digest.

So we're subjects of the Queen. That is certainly ground breaking news.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Interesting but filled with more psychobabble than I care to digest.

So we're subjects of the Queen. That is certainly ground breaking news.

I thought that was common knowledge, Queen is the head of state in Canada (represented in Canada by the Governor General). We are all Queen’s subjects. Each and every law passed by the Parliament must be approved and signed by the Queen (through the GG), otherwise it does not take effect.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
When you pick Chrétien, someone who won three back to back majorities (and rescued the economy from life support) as the worst PM ever, it only shows wishful thinking on your part (and of course, your bias). I assume you think Harper is the best PM ever.

But surely you would rate Trudeau worse than Chrétien, wouldn’t you? Or are both of them the worst ever? Do you rank all the Liberal PMs as the worst ever and all the conservative PMs as the best ever (with the exception of Mulroney, of course)?

No, you're trying to pigeon hole me as a neoconservative. I consider Harper a mediocrity, a petty neoconservative ideologue, a 'post-nationalist' with out the intellect or character to look beyond it. He has been a lousy PM. His economic policies are leading us to ruin. He is a radical economic liberal.

Trudeau had a saving grace. He was the last economic sovereigntist to fill the office, except for the few weeks that John Turner occupied it. He was also a fierce federalist, with the capacity to stare down the provincial potentates who are continually undermining Canadian interests for their own chauvinistic interests.

His National Energy Program showed his inclination to manage Canadian Resources for the good of the country, and to out manoevre Western separatist interests, most notably that treasonous piece of trash, Peter Lougheed, and his threats to let the rest of the country 'freeze in dark'. Still he didn't go far enough in implementing it.

Trudeau imposed the Charter of Rights and Freedoms into the country largely because of his fear of draconian language and culture laws he felt the separatists would impose on the English minority.

With his intellect he should have realized he would produce a closeted, hermetic judicial tyranny, where the most critical social decisions of the country would be made judges steeped in intellectual arrogance, the most tawdry of New Age sophistry, without any oversight by or responsibility to the electorate. He should have realized that, he didn't, and it has permanently stained his record.

He did, under pressure, put in the Not Withstanding Clause, that allows Parliament to reverse decisions with respect to 'Equal Rights' where the most aggregious insults to Canadian democracy have occurred. But he had ample experience to realize that Parliamentarians are too gutless, dull witted, and born followers to ever use the codicil.

Reactions: AnnaG

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No, you're trying to pigeon hole me as a neoconservative. I consider Harper a mediocrity, a petty neoconservative ideologue, a 'post-nationalist' with out the intellect or character to look beyond it. He has been a lousy PM. His economic policies are leading us to ruin. He is a radical economic liberal.

Trudeau had a saving grace. He was the last economic sovereigntist to fill the office, except for the few weeks that John Turner occupied it. He was also a fierce federalist, with the capacity to stare down the provincial potentates who are continually undermining Canadian interests for their own chauvinistic interests.

His National Energy Program showed his inclination to manage Canadian Resources for the good of the country, and to out manoevre Western separatist interests, most notably that treasonous piece of trash, Peter Lougheed, and his threats to let the rest of the country 'freeze in dark'. Still he didn't go far enough in implementing it.

Trudeau imposed the Charter of Rights and Freedoms into the country largely because of his fear of draconian language and culture laws he felt the separatists would impose on the English minority.

With his intellect he should have realized he would produce a closeted, hermetic judicial tyranny, where the most critical social decisions of the country would be made judges steeped in intellectual arrogance, the most tawdry of New Age sophistry, without any oversight by or responsibility to the electorate. He should have realized that, he didn't, and it has permanently stained his record.

He did, under pressure, put in the Not Withstanding Clause, that allows Parliament to reverse decisions with respect to 'Equal Rights' where the most aggregious insults to Canadian democracy have occurred. But he had ample experience to realize that Parliamentarians are too gutless, dull witted, and born followers to ever use the codicil.
That was pretty good, Mr. Stream. :)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Coldstream, the Notwithstanding Clause is one of the reason why I consider our Charter of Rights to be superior to American Bill of Rights (there are several other reasons, but this is one of them). It established the superiority of elected Parliament over appointed judiciary, and that is how it should be.

At the same time, NW should be used sparingly, it is not a political weapon, it is a nuclear option. When the PM uses the NW Clause, by definition he is saying that part of the constitution is null and void. What PM is saying is that notwithstanding what the Supreme Court says about a particular section of the constitution, he is going to declare that section null and void and let the law stand in violation of the constitution.

So its use must be limited to very exceptional situations and for emergencies. Its use must be avoided as far as possible. I think the Parliamentarians are handling the NW clause exactly right. It has never been used federally.

I am opposed to polygamy. However, if Supreme Court legalized polygamy, I would be opposed to the PM using the NW Clause to stop polygamy. However, if the Supreme Court legalized pedophilia, I would support the use of NW Clause to stop pedophilia. This is one of the emergencies I mentioned.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Coldstream, the Notwithstanding Clause is one of the reason why I consider our Charter of Rights to be superior to American Bill of Rights (there are several other reasons, but this is one of them). It established the superiority of elected Parliament over appointed judiciary, and that is how it should be.

At the same time, NW should be used sparingly, it is not a political weapon, it is a nuclear option. When the PM uses the NW Clause, by definition he is saying that part of the constitution is null and void. What PM is saying is that notwithstanding what the Supreme Court says about a particular section of the constitution, he is going to declare that section null and void and let the law stand in violation of the constitution.

So its use must be limited to very exceptional situations and for emergencies. Its use must be avoided as far as possible. I think the Parliamentarians are handling the NW clause exactly right. It has never been used federally.

I am opposed to polygamy. However, if Supreme Court legalized polygamy, I would be opposed to the PM using the NW Clause to stop polygamy. However, if the Supreme Court legalized pedophilia, I would support the use of NW Clause to stop pedophilia. This is one of the emergencies I mentioned.
I think it's one thing to make the odd off-topic quip here and there, and another thing to make an off-topic speech every couple pages.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Enough with the Personal Attacks already. The posts removed (five of them)
where attacking other members as if they where posted by eight year olds.
We're all adults here. Time to act like it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This was announced by Buckingham Palace quite some time ago.

Despite whatever conservatives may feel, the fact is that The Right Honourable Jean Chrétien P.C., O.M., C.C., Q.C., the 20th Prime Minister of Canada, was absolutely instrumental in the passage of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the repatriation of the Constitution Acts, 1867–1982. Mr. Chrétien oversaw the balancing of the Canadian books, and ensured that we would have a strong economy and a strong budgetary framework moving forward into the twenty-first century. The Order of Merit is an exclusive and prestigious order, and Canadians spanning the country should be very excited and proud to have another Canadian amongst the ranks.
A poodle giving an award to a crook is hardly something to get your knickers in a knot over.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Often, slaves endure their fates through petty sarcasms and novelties.
While some put themselves on a pedestal and pretend they're above the norm without realizing they are slaves like the rest of us. At least I know I'm a slave to the grind. What's your excuse?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You seem to know something about who owns Canada. Pretend that I'm a native and tell me.
Big

Big questions for you -
Where did your ancestors originate -
And are you full blooded native -
None of that white crap in you?

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
Big

Big questions for you -
Where did your ancestors originate -
And are you full blooded native -
None of that white crap in you?

Why not starting at the beginning!? Isn't Africa the birthplace of Homo sapiens?