Queen Honours Cretien

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I finally picked Chretien as the worst, because of he lied about reversing Mulroney's direction, and has lived like a welfare junkie off patronage and corruption (atleast Mulroney was made to admit his sleaze).

When you pick Chrétien, someone who won three back to back majorities (and rescued the economy from life support) as the worst PM ever, it only shows wishful thinking on your part (and of course, your bias). I assume you think Harper is the best PM ever.

But surely you would rate Trudeau worse than Chrétien, wouldn’t you? Or are both of them the worst ever? Do you rank all the Liberal PMs as the worst ever and all the conservative PMs as the best ever (with the exception of Mulroney, of course)?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
hahahah awesome. good ole' Chretien he should run again probably the only liberal that could win.

Quite so, Lu. If Chrétien had been the PM when sponsorship scandal blew up, Liberals still would be in power today. Martin was too nice a guy to be the PM. Chrétien would never have appointed the Gomery commission (neither would Harper), he simply would have referred the matter to RCMP.

Without the Gomery inquiry keeping the issues on the front page month after month, the wrongdoers would have been punished and the whole thing would have faded into obscurity. That is how Chrétien or Harper would have handled it.

Chrétien was a mean street fighter (so is Harper, but without the compassion and charisma shown by Chrétien), Martin was a nice guy, and totally unsuitable to be the PM.

All the more kudos to Chretien for a well earned honour.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Quite so, Lu. If Chrétien had been the PM when sponsorship scandal blew up, Liberals still would be in power today.

True, because he would have made the RCMP go after Mulroney in order to divert attention from his crooked friends.

Chretien is a classic old style corrupt politician, and while he did some good, there's no need to dismiss his nasty vindictiveness toward Martin, nor his patronage that cost us untold millions. He makes Mulroney look like an even-handed non-partisan PM.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
True, because he would have made the RCMP go after Mulroney in order to divert attention from his crooked friends.

Chretien is a classic old style corrupt politician, and while he did some good, there's no need to dismiss his nasty vindictiveness toward Martin, nor his patronage that cost us untold millions. He makes Mulroney look like an even-handed non-partisan PM.
Pretty much.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I visualize Chretien as a top notch politician, who reached his point of incompetence.

Quite so, JLM, Chrétien was a consummate, skilled politician. As to being incompetent, anybody who rescued the economy (which was put on life support by Mulroney), converted 40 billion plus $ deficit into 10 billion $ plus surplus, who fought for minority rights (in his case gay rights) is far from incompetent, in my opinion.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Quite so, JLM, Chrétien was a consummate, skilled politician. As to being incompetent, anybody who rescued the economy (which was put on life support by Mulroney), converted 40 billion plus $ deficit into 10 billion $ plus surplus, who fought for minority rights (in his case gay rights) is far from incompetent, in my opinion.
lol It wasn't ChRETIeN who did that, boy, it was Martin.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This is another farce, just like obama's nobel prize...

Really? There are more and more such ‘farces’. First there was Carter, then Gore, then Obama, now Chrétien. Could it be that there is nothing wrong with these prizes, they are well deserved, but the problem is with the whiners, the complainers, the sour grapers who are mad because their candidate, their hero didn’t win?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Could it be that there is nothing wrong with these prizes, they are well deserved, but the problem is with the whiners, the complainers, the sour grapers who are mad because their candidate, their hero didn’t win?

Well, it could be...or maybe there is something wrong with the prizes and they aren't deserved and the only ones that are happy are happy because their hero won.

I wouldn't really know as I have no heroes when it comes to politics.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Really? There are more and more such ‘farces’. First there was Carter, then Gore, then Obama, now Chrétien. Could it be that there is nothing wrong with these prizes, they are well deserved, but the problem is with the whiners, the complainers, the sour grapers who are mad because their candidate, their hero didn’t win?
lol ChRETIeN won the award for his 40 years of self-service. Obama won his for not being Bush. What's to whine about?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Rewards for potential and for screwing up aren't really rewards, are they?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, it could be...or maybe there is something wrong with the prizes and they aren't deserved and the only ones that are happy are happy because their hero won.

I wouldn't really know as I have no heroes when it comes to politics.
I know I don't have any politician heroes.Except maybe the dead ones.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Dead heros are moulded by the imagination of the living. For example, I like Elvis now he's up in Graceland.
Me, too. Mum drove me crazy with that Elvis stuff. Good thing I recovered. lol (from the Elvis stuff :D )

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec