Public Inquiries into Emergencies Act begin September 19

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I’m much more interested in the reaction of the current (not future hypothetical ones) Federal NDP/Liberal Gov’t to see how “consistent” they are in their application of the “Broader Legal Definition of the Emergencies Act that you’re not allowed to see or hear” in a similar situation with again lots of forewarning in an announced protest that “May or may Not” involve Blockades of roadways and highways and apparently railways also.

The difference here would be that that this protest & potential Blockades wouldn’t be against Justin & his Merry Peoples. Will that make a difference now that the precedent has been made by this current Gov’t in their reaction?

No, I do not want to see the emergencies act used again, and I don’t think there’s any danger of that happening here whatsoever, and that decision would have no bearing whatsoever on what’s actually happening or may happen beyond the fact that these blockades that “May or May Not” happen would be by an identifiable political block that Trudeau will not want to treat as equals to the rest of Canadians.

Potential & Perceived violence? The only reaction by the federal government that will be consistent in the situation will be that it will be consistently hypocritical.
Hypocritical , isn’t that the dictionary definition of a Canadian Liberal ?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hypocritical , isn’t that the dictionary definition of a Canadian Liberal ?
I hear what you’re saying, and it doesn’t have to be…. But it’s a choice they seem to of run with for half a century…. Now, admittedly, I’ve only been following politics for that time span so…. I’m assuming they weren’t such hypocrites before the first Trudeau but that’s just an assumption and…

Reactions: Twin_Moose

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I hear what you’re saying, and it doesn’t have to be…. But it’s a choice they seem to of run with for half a century…. Now, admittedly, I’ve only been following politics for that time span so…. I’m assuming they weren’t such hypocrites before the first Trudeau but that’s just an assumption and…
You have to go back a little farther than that. But yes, there was a time when they were more of an 'honest party', but even in the days of laurier there were shenannigans. He got into power beating the conservatives over the question of funding religious schools and their critical role in education saying that the public funding of such schools should continue because it was important for the gov't to have a hand in it (the conservatives thought maybe they'd made a mistake and the schools shouldn't be run by the religions) - and yet he very pointedly ignored a critical report that was produced during his time outlining the massive abuses at residential schools and begging that the gov't intervene to stop it. That went right into the wastebin despite significant efforts from the well-respected author to raise the alarm and alert the gov't.

So - demands the gov't stay involved with and fund religious schools for the national good- then ignores reports of abuse and harm to children in some of those schools because it's politically beneficial to ignore it. That may not be the textbook definition of hypocrisy but it comes damn close.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I’m much more interested in the reaction of the current (not future hypothetical ones) Federal NDP/Liberal Gov’t to see how “consistent” they are in their application of the “Broader Legal Definition of the Emergencies Act that you’re not allowed to see or hear” in a similar situation with again lots of forewarning in an announced protest that “May or may Not” involve Blockades of roadways and highways and apparently railways also.

The difference here would be that that this protest & potential Blockades wouldn’t be against Justin & his Merry Peoples. Will that make a difference now that the precedent has been made by this current Gov’t in their reaction?

No, I do not want to see the emergencies act used again, and I don’t think there’s any danger of that happening here whatsoever, and that decision would have no bearing whatsoever on what’s actually happening or may happen beyond the fact that these blockades that “May or May Not” happen would be by an identifiable political block that Trudeau will not want to treat as equals to the rest of Canadians.

Potential & Perceived violence? The only reaction by the federal government that will be consistent in the situation will be that it will be consistently hypocritical.

The more I've heard/read about the use of the EA, the more my stance on it has changed, probably like a lot of people.

While I still think Trudeau had to do "something" - his choice of the EA was NOT the something he should have chosen. Even I'm willing to admit the stupid idiot should have met with the protester leadership at least once.

I hope that this issue is one of the major ones that kicks him out of office.

Just wish someone else was waiting somewhere to take over PMship.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The more I've heard/read about the use of the EA, the more my stance on it has changed, probably like a lot of people.

Sigh - "the more i'm exposed to facts, reason and logic the more i change my mind as a liberal. But i'll still vote that way".

Thanks for showing up.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'll bet that you're right BUT - that after 13 pages of saying that and explaining why it should not be implemented there was one paragraph that said "I suppose you MIGHT be able to claim it was somehow justified legally IF you interpret this to mean that, but that wouldn't be the standard interpretation".

To which justin said "YES!! YES THAT'S HOW I INTERPRET IT!!! Emergency act everyone, the lawyers said i could...."
Well, we’re not going to hear anything new about this now anymore until after Justice Rouleau releases his written report to Parliament in late February now.

The Liberals, in the nature of openness and transparency, shut that down shortly before parliament shut down for Christmas.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Actually, this is interesting in a “peek behind the curtain”, sort of thing. The whole thing is interesting but even if you just start a little bit before the nine minute part until the end it’s eye-opening.
We all watched this happening back in February… and we all have to try and filter it through what we saw in the media… but as more and more comes out, even though they try to make things as translucent as they can…. This little snippet is some real transparency to the narrative that we all witnessed.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Actually, this is interesting in a “peek behind the curtain”, sort of thing. The whole thing is interesting but even if you just start a little bit before the nine minute part until the end it’s eye-opening.
We all watched this happening back in February… and we all have to try and filter it through what we saw in the media… but as more and more comes out, even though they try to make things as translucent as they can…. This little snippet is some real transparency to the narrative that we all witnessed.
Things you will never see on the CTV .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Id love to read the RCMP briefings. They were/are tits deep in the convoy and groups involved.

Its ludicrous to think they weren't but if they weren't it would be worthy of an inquiry all its own to find out why they let misogynist Nazi racist queer bashers amass and protest.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Id love to read the RCMP briefings. They were/are tits deep in the convoy and groups involved.

Its ludicrous to think they weren't but if they weren't it would be worthy of an inquiry all its own to find out why they let misogynist Nazi racist queer bashers amass and protest.

From a different thread.

Marshall, who’s had a series of run-ins with police since his involvement in demonstrations against COVID-19 restrictions, was profiled in a police intelligence report prepared during the “freedom convoy” protests earlier this year.

Redacted copies of the OPP’s intelligence bureau reports were released in October by the Public Order Emergency Commission, the inquiry into the federal government’s justification for invoking the Emergencies Act in response to the convoy protests.

The 13-page report flags Marshall as “violent” and known for carrying weapons and drugs. He’s associated with the Church of God in Aylmer, the site of frequent protests against COVID restrictions, and the far-right group Diagolon.

https://forums.canadiancontent.net/...rowing-asphalt-at-protest.171391/post-2982960

They had eyes on the protestors in Sept already eh? It would have been nurses at that time.

Spying on nurses eh? Noooooo. Not all nurses just the PPC ones says CBC.

Last edited:
  • Wow

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I did forty minutes on the last one . 2 hours seems like a bit much .
Wow… if somebody does not have 42 minutes of their life to watch this, even if they just watched from minute 12 to about minute 29…. It’s eye-opening.

The last 10 minutes or so is basically a “WTF Jagmeet?!” Moment.
How can the NDP support the illeagalization of anti government protest?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Wow… if somebody does not have 42 minutes of their life to watch this, even if they just watched from minute 12 to about minute 29…. It’s eye-opening.
Yeah, but honestly the problem in the end is going to be the report. He said it and it echos something i said here a while back, that the report will most likely be "mistakes were made, they acted in what they believed were the best interests, not the letter of the law but the spirit, etc etc'.

IF that's what comes down then he gets a walk on all of it.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

The last 10 minutes or so is basically a “WTF Jagmeet?!” Moment.
This is basically a condensed version of what we seen every day of the so called inquisition.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Yeah, but honestly the problem in the end is going to be the report. He said it and it echos something i said here a while back, that the report will most likely be "mistakes were made, they acted in what they believed were the best interests, not the letter of the law but the spirit, etc etc'.

That was the preordained conclusion.

Reactions: The_Foxer

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

They’ll get a walk on all of it anyway. The interesting thing will be how they shore things up so that another Trudeau can’t come along in another generation and use it against its intended purpose again.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
They’ll get a walk on all of it anyway. The interesting thing will be how they shore things up so that another Trudeau can’t come along in another generation and use it against its intended purpose again.
If the inquiry comes back with a more strongly worded report saying he misused it or used it without lawful reason then there will be at least some blowback, and against the NDP as well to a degree. I mean nobody's going to rise up and throw him out of power or anything but it will be used against him and it will upset some of his base. And it won't help him on the international stage either.

As to making changes - that's going to be potentially challenging because any change would require a change in the law, which means dragging the issue out for many months extra. And all the while it's keeping in the public eye the fact they misused it the first time.

A lot will depend on the language of the report. If they come out with a strong statement saying that was not an appropriate use then trudeau will take a bit of a hit over it, and if they softball it then it's over and he gets away with it entirely.

• Sad
Reactions: Taxslave2