PIerre takes it - 68 percent on the first ballot and what a winning speech

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
So, not knowing much about how hashtags work, is it possible that it was added from an external source?

No.

Unless someone hacked into the account, hashtags are used as a way to draw in people interested in a subject to different media posts. They're key words that are searchable to get content viewed. So in this case, anyone who wanted to look for content with that hashtag of mgtow, they'd put that in a search and it'd pull everything with that specific hashtag.

And they are put there by people who upload the content, or someone who has access to the account. External sources do not hashtag that I'm aware of.

Reactions: Taxslave2

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oh well that's bullshit - at least on the 'outrage'.

But sure, whatever you want to see.
Just to be clear, I was not specifically accusing you of anything but people in general. I have seen lots of people 'forgive' TrueDope for his sins and/or say its a 'teachable moment'. If I made any implication it was you specifically, I apologize. It was not my intent.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Just to be clear, I was not specifically accusing you of anything but people in general. I have seen lots of people 'forgive' TrueDope for his sins and/or say its a 'teachable moment'. If I made any implication it was you specifically, I apologize. It was not my intent.
Oh no worries, I didn't think you were saying me specifically, and while I agree there are people out there who forgive Trudeau for shit, to say there isn't any 'outrage' being visible is still BS. It's exhausting how much outrage there is from people - media and other - over Trudeau. The man can't say or even shit the wrong way without someone being pissed about it :p

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
No.

No "or".

If we're no longer giving any politican a break for anything they or staff do, there is no 'or' for this.
Oh? Since when? Starting when? Just curious. Is it retroactive?

In a statement on Thursday, Tory leader Anthony Koch’s office stated that according to YouTube records, “the tag in question was inserted in early 2018 and it has been there since that time.”

“Because Mr. Poilievre has had many staff upload videos who had passwords over the years, including in 2018, his office is unable to determine who exactly added the tag.”

Koch claims that Poilievre acknowledged that it was not added by any of his present employees. The leader’s office has not yet indicated if any more inquiries would be made.
If he means what he said, he'll fire every single person who had access to his social media, then hire new people. He already asked/look into reviewing this and said 'no one knows how it happened'. So, no one is fessing up, can't trust them. Kick em all.

End of story.
So what if whomever it is don’t work there anymore? Tory leader Anthony Koch’s office stated that according to YouTube records, “the tag in question was inserted in early 2018 and it has been there since that time.”
Doesn't matter.

It's come out now.

He's against it. His team won't say who did it, fire them all.
Does his current team know who did this in 2018? Does it matter?

Wait, one news source says the “video in question dates to 2018” but a different one says “Poilievre's office says it doesn't know who added the tag, which was on videos (plural now) going back to 2018. CBC News”. Global news says plural now too

Global News verified the tag was used on the videos using publicly-available software and checked it against the video’s source code.

Within hours of Global News sending a detailed list of questions to Poilievre’s office, the tag disappeared.

On Thursday afternoon, the Conservative Party of Canada announced it was calling off the search for whoever added the hashtag #mgtow to hundreds of videos on Pierre Poilievre’s YouTube channel beginning in 2018.

The hunt for the culprit was only a few hours old. Global News reported on the hashtags, which are hidden in the coding of YouTube videos and designed to steer viewers toward content they might want to see, on Thursday morning. “(Poilievre) has confirmed with current staff who were working with his office in 2018 that they did not add the tag,” the outlet reported later in the day. Poilievre had ordered the hashtag removed, condemned the men who are going their own way and in the House of Commons on Thursday reminded us that Justin Trudeau dressed up repeatedly in blackface. Apparently that’s supposed to be the end of it.

Unless the culprit was Poilievre himself, trying to leave it there seems like a very bad idea. This episode could well leave a bigger bruise on Poilievre’s pre-election record than all the other attempts thus far to link him with right-wing extremism.

This hashtag business is cut and dry. MGTWs, and similar groups of militant male social rejects, are likely unknown to the vast majority of Canadians. But as bizarre and bewildering as their worldview is, it’s not hard to explain. Basically they blame women for all their problems in the same way anti-Semites blame the Jews. Their scarcity is their only saving grace. They aren’t a voting bloc, let alone one worth wooing.

If a political party isn’t willing to try to justify something like this, then it had better look interested in finding out who made it happen and why. It didn’t happen by accident. And Poilievre is, after all, auditioning to be prime minister — auditioning to replace a famously tone-deaf, out-of-touch prime minister whose mouth is just as capable of astonishing feats of stupidity as his government. “It’s just a stupid hashtag,” Conservative partisans insist on social media. OK, so what the hell was it doing there?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Oh? Since when? Starting when? Just curious. Is it retroactive?

Since always?

I mean, anytime any "Liberal" (or non right) anyone in government has an aid or employee do something, all I've ever heard is bitching about how that person should be fired, etc. So what's good for the goose and all, right?

Yes, it should be retroactive. Con, Lib, NDP; you have a staffer or anyone in your employ that fucks up, fired.

In a statement on Thursday, Tory leader Anthony Koch’s office stated that according to YouTube records, “the tag in question was inserted in early 2018 and it has been there since that time.”

“Because Mr. Poilievre has had many staff upload videos who had passwords over the years, including in 2018, his office is unable to determine who exactly added the tag.”

Koch claims that Poilievre acknowledged that it was not added by any of his present employees. The leader’s office has not yet indicated if any more inquiries would be made.

So what if whomever it is don’t work there anymore? Tory leader Anthony Koch’s office stated that according to YouTube records, “the tag in question was inserted in early 2018 and it has been there since that time.”

Does his current team know who did this in 2018? Does it matter?

Wait, one news source says the “video in question dates to 2018” but a different one says “Poilievre's office says it doesn't know who added the tag, which was on videos (plural now) going back to 2018. CBC News”. Global news says plural now too

Global News verified the tag was used on the videos using publicly-available software and checked it against the video’s source code.

Within hours of Global News sending a detailed list of questions to Poilievre’s office, the tag disappeared.

On Thursday afternoon, the Conservative Party of Canada announced it was calling off the search for whoever added the hashtag #mgtow to hundreds of videos on Pierre Poilievre’s YouTube channel beginning in 2018.

The hunt for the culprit was only a few hours old. Global News reported on the hashtags, which are hidden in the coding of YouTube videos and designed to steer viewers toward content they might want to see, on Thursday morning. “(Poilievre) has confirmed with current staff who were working with his office in 2018 that they did not add the tag,” the outlet reported later in the day. Poilievre had ordered the hashtag removed, condemned the men who are going their own way and in the House of Commons on Thursday reminded us that Justin Trudeau dressed up repeatedly in blackface. Apparently that’s supposed to be the end of it.

Unless the culprit was Poilievre himself, trying to leave it there seems like a very bad idea. This episode could well leave a bigger bruise on Poilievre’s pre-election record than all the other attempts thus far to link him with right-wing extremism.

This hashtag business is cut and dry. MGTWs, and similar groups of militant male social rejects, are likely unknown to the vast majority of Canadians. But as bizarre and bewildering as their worldview is, it’s not hard to explain. Basically they blame women for all their problems in the same way anti-Semites blame the Jews. Their scarcity is their only saving grace. They aren’t a voting bloc, let alone one worth wooing.

If a political party isn’t willing to try to justify something like this, then it had better look interested in finding out who made it happen and why. It didn’t happen by accident. And Poilievre is, after all, auditioning to be prime minister — auditioning to replace a famously tone-deaf, out-of-touch prime minister whose mouth is just as capable of astonishing feats of stupidity as his government. “It’s just a stupid hashtag,” Conservative partisans insist on social media. OK, so what the hell was it doing there?

“(Poilievre) has confirmed with current staff who were working with his office in 2018 that they did not add the tag,”

That, right there.

Fire them all.

If he hired new staff since then, and none of them noticed the tag, that's entirely plausible.

But anyone working from that time and still now for him? Gone. Because they can't be trusted at this point. Someone put it there, they all claim "it wasn't me" and while it could be true, how do you know for sure?

Which is entirely my point.

But now the cons are calling off the search for who put it up?

Nah, if that's the case, I don't wanna hear jack shit anymore about "So and So's aid/staff did such and such".

Who cares. Evidently no one.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
How does a mgtow differ from a man hating lesbian?
No idea. Never heard of it before yesterday & curious how this was out there for years & Global News (I think) only discovered it this week. Wonder what they where looking for in order to find this (?) as if they knew what to look for in advance…they might have more answers that we all have questions to?

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No idea. Never heard of it before yesterday & curious how this was out there for years & Global News (I think) only discovered it this week. Wonder what they where looking for in order to find this (?) as if they knew what to look for in advance…they might have more answers that we all have questions to?
You kids and your "groovy" and "cool" and "digging" things!

Reactions: Ron in Regina

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've met a couple of mgtows and all I have to say is "holy fuck" after one went off on a gal who asked for a light but at the sametime it paralleled things Ive heard from radical lesbians. Uncanny.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
An invisible search engine optimization tag that was promptly removed from Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre’s YouTube videos after its discovery doesn’t amount to a scandal. The attempt to spin it into one, however, reveals society’s contempt for men and a collective inability to cope with criticism of feminism.

Global News reported earlier this month that, since 2018, the Conservative leader’s online videos had been tagged with “#mgtow,” which stands for “men going their own way.” It refers to a loose movement of men online who choose to avoid relationships with women and focus on self-improvement instead. Poilievre’s office has since condemned the movement and removed the tags.

Global reported that the tags were generally recycled from one video to the next. This was confirmed by epidemiologist and data blogger Jean-Paul R. Soucy, who conducted his own analysis. Based on what he found, it looks like the tags were simply copied into subsequent videos after they were originally written, with only a few exceptions in 2018.

How did the tag get there? Poilievre’s team doesn’t know for sure. It could have been an edgy staffer. It could have been an external party (marketing and communications companies can optimize a client’s search visibility by tailoring keywords to bring in target demographics). It could also have been automatically generated.

The term “MGTOW” was most popular around 2017 and 2018. Google’s records show it was frequently more popular than “metoo” — the feminist movement against sexual assault. In other words, there’s a good chance that the software Poilievre’s team was using back then could have automatically generated the tag. Regardless, the record shows that little attention was paid to his video tags over the years.

Canadian intelligence officials have warned that extreme misogyny can constitute a national security threat. But lumping MGTOW in with male terrorists would be like criticizing all Muslims because Islamic groups make up the majority of listed terrorist entities in Canada. It’s unfair and divisive to paint a large group as violent criminals because of an extreme few.

That’s what happened in the House of Commons after the Global story was published, though. Members of Parliament admonished the MGTOW tag as if it were literal violence. Liberal MP Mark Gerretsen characterized the movement as misogynistic, anti-feminist and predominantly male. Of course, it isn’t necessarily misogynistic to criticize feminism (it has plenty of flaws, and survey data shows it’s falling out of favour with younger progressives and conservatives alike).

Another Liberal MP, Jennifer O’Connell, said Poilievre had been trying to “connect with and target incel, right-wing, anti-women, violent rhetoric for their own personal and political gain” — people, she said, who promote the murder of single women. Which is like saying it’s murderous and violent for women to swear off dating men. Maybe it’s childish or maybe it’s completely rational, but either way, it’s not “anti-woman” to choose to be alone.

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said the Conservatives were “exploiting technology to proliferate hate.” That’s a stretch. Indeed, proliferating hate probably looks more like actively funding a raging antisemite.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau accused Poilievre of courting extremists and the far-right and demanded he apologize for the invisible tag. “The Conservative leader has been purposefully using his videos to appeal to far-right misogynistic online movements,” he cried. “These are anti-women movements and they have had devastating real-life consequences.” Etc…

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
As you know The Conservative Party of Canada has selected Pierre Poilievre as their new Party Leader. Unfortunately I have to warn you that Mr. Poilievre is a dangerous right-wing ideologue who is far too extreme to govern our country. And while I said that exact same thing about Erin O’Toole, Andrew Scheer and Stephen Harper, this time I’m super serious.
1671983938462.jpeg
Mr. Poilievre has no regard for our values of multiculturalism, of pluralism and respect. He caters only to the fringe elements in his own party and associates with the very worst of the worst. Also the milk thing is a bit weird. Wait sorry, scratch that. That was leftover from when I copy and pasted this paragraph from a previous speech I gave about Andrew Scheer.

His statements about the trucker convoy alone should disqualify him. The fact that he stood shoulder to shoulder with people who waived the swastika and terrorized local communities should guarantee that no Canadian votes for Mr. Harper. I mean Mr. O’Toole. Fuck!
1671984052964.jpeg
Ok, so maybe we’ve run the ‘dangerous ideologue’ playbook before. And at the time that seemed fair. But now Scheer and O’Toole seem kinda cute in comparison to Poilievre. I mean, sure Erin O’Toole kinda came off like a guy who gets in fist fights in Tim Horton’s parking lots, but he wasn’t going to try to unilaterally fire the Governor of the Bank of Canada! He was even going to basically keep my carbon tax.

It seems we were a bit quick to judgment before. I admit it now. But this time you have to trust us. We’re like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. And if memory serves when the wolf actually arrived all the villagers helped the Boy save the sheep right? That’s how I taught it to my students anyway.
1671984195131.jpeg
So when you start seeing ads talking about Pierre Poilievre being a conservative zealot who will govern like Donald Trump, take them seriously. And don’t worry about the fact that they are clearly the same ads we’ve run about O’Toole and Scheer only with Poilievre’s face awkwardly photoshopped in. That was just a budget thing.

Also if we win one more election I promise to come up with a new line of attack for the next Conservative Leader. After all, no way they nominate an even further right-wing guy to replace this one right?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
An invisible search engine optimization tag that was promptly removed from Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre’s YouTube videos after its discovery doesn’t amount to a scandal. The attempt to spin it into one, however, reveals society’s contempt for men and a collective inability to cope with criticism of feminism.

Global News reported earlier this month that, since 2018, the Conservative leader’s online videos had been tagged with “#mgtow,” which stands for “men going their own way.” It refers to a loose movement of men online who choose to avoid relationships with women and focus on self-improvement instead. Poilievre’s office has since condemned the movement and removed the tags.

Global reported that the tags were generally recycled from one video to the next. This was confirmed by epidemiologist and data blogger Jean-Paul R. Soucy, who conducted his own analysis. Based on what he found, it looks like the tags were simply copied into subsequent videos after they were originally written, with only a few exceptions in 2018.

How did the tag get there? Poilievre’s team doesn’t know for sure. It could have been an edgy staffer. It could have been an external party (marketing and communications companies can optimize a client’s search visibility by tailoring keywords to bring in target demographics). It could also have been automatically generated.

The term “MGTOW” was most popular around 2017 and 2018. Google’s records show it was frequently more popular than “metoo” — the feminist movement against sexual assault. In other words, there’s a good chance that the software Poilievre’s team was using back then could have automatically generated the tag. Regardless, the record shows that little attention was paid to his video tags over the years.

Canadian intelligence officials have warned that extreme misogyny can constitute a national security threat. But lumping MGTOW in with male terrorists would be like criticizing all Muslims because Islamic groups make up the majority of listed terrorist entities in Canada. It’s unfair and divisive to paint a large group as violent criminals because of an extreme few.

That’s what happened in the House of Commons after the Global story was published, though. Members of Parliament admonished the MGTOW tag as if it were literal violence. Liberal MP Mark Gerretsen characterized the movement as misogynistic, anti-feminist and predominantly male. Of course, it isn’t necessarily misogynistic to criticize feminism (it has plenty of flaws, and survey data shows it’s falling out of favour with younger progressives and conservatives alike).

Another Liberal MP, Jennifer O’Connell, said Poilievre had been trying to “connect with and target incel, right-wing, anti-women, violent rhetoric for their own personal and political gain” — people, she said, who promote the murder of single women. Which is like saying it’s murderous and violent for women to swear off dating men. Maybe it’s childish or maybe it’s completely rational, but either way, it’s not “anti-woman” to choose to be alone.

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said the Conservatives were “exploiting technology to proliferate hate.” That’s a stretch. Indeed, proliferating hate probably looks more like actively funding a raging antisemite.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau accused Poilievre of courting extremists and the far-right and demanded he apologize for the invisible tag. “The Conservative leader has been purposefully using his videos to appeal to far-right misogynistic online movements,” he cried. “These are anti-women movements and they have had devastating real-life consequences.” Etc…
As though Trudeau should talk. Seriously?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Since always?
Hardly.
I mean, anytime any "Liberal" (or non right) anyone in government has an aid or employee do something, all I've ever heard is bitching about how that person should be fired, etc. So what's good for the goose and all, right?
In fact the conservatives didn't even care that justin trudeau dressed in blackface. They were more annoyed at his hypocrisy for calling others out on things they said in the past and then claiming he shouldn't be judged for things in the past. And his rather half hearted "apology". Why don't you give us an example of where the conservatives demanded someone should be fired because their employee did something 4 years ago without telling them?

Can't find any? But - wasn't that all you heard? no?

Yes, it should be retroactive. Con, Lib, NDP; you have a staffer or anyone in your employ that fucks up, fired.
Well justin fucked up numerous times according to the AG - were you calling for his termination in 2015? No? Hmmm.
“(Poilievre) has confirmed with current staff who were working with his office in 2018 that they did not add the tag,”

That, right there.

Fire them all.
Sooooo they didn't do it, they don't know who did it (probably didn't even notice it) and therefore they should be fired.
But anyone working from that time and still now for him? Gone. Because they can't be trusted at this point. Someone put it there, they all claim "it wasn't me" and while it could be true, how do you know for sure?
It's a minor tag that is a total nothing of a story - but someone's entire staff should be fired because they 'can't be trusted".

So - the CBC posts incorrect stories all the time, they posted that the Convoy was financed mostly from out of country money from right wing groups. Which was entirely untrue. So.... are you suggesting the entire staff of the cbc should be fired as well?

Sounds like you're being a bit of a hypocrite here. This wouldn't be a firing offense if they DID know. They should be told not to do it again but ti's not like they put the name of a terrorist group or the like. And it seems like you're happy to give a walk to others who do worse.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
How does a mgtow differ from a man hating lesbian?
Generally speaking the 'mgtow' philosophy doesn't really call for any hatred towards women at all - it just "acknowledges" that generally speaking you're way better off to not have women as a romantic partner and get your sex from uncommitted sources such as prostitutes or the like and avoid having women in your life in general. The theory is essentially that women can't be trusted, they are expensive, and they are just there to take things like money and gifts from you and don't really commit to a relationship. You don't have to hate women, you can be friends with women, you can hire women to have sex - just don't let them become a part of your personal life. Basically men should say i go my own way, you go your own way and lets both be happy. Someone might be a mgtow AND decide they hate women, but it's not part of their creed.

A man hating lesbian must hate men. They generally want bad things to happen to men, they feel men deserve bad things to happen to them. Also presumably a lesbian was a lesbian before they hated men (grey area), this isn't a rational decision one just arrives at one day where as being a mgtow is a decision people make, not something you're born to.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Sounds like a bunch of jerkoffs.
LOL - i see what you did there :)

Double entendre's aside, they're kind of a dying "group", and they were never that exiting to begin with as far as radical type groups go. Not like the Incels who are far more mentally messed up and dangerous.

I doubt that the phrase was included for any reason other than for a brief time mgtow was a well searched for phrase, either by those who thought they are one or those wishing to learn about them at the time. Shows up on searches i guess. It was always one of those groups where there were more people talking about them than were actually in the group ;) people found them a little entertaining and harmless. And the 'lesbian man hater' and SJW types reactions were priceless :)