Palestinian jailed for rape after claiming to be Jewish

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm against legislating morality. Its a slippery slope when a legal system enters the bedrooms of consenting adults. How much prison time should a woman get for lying about hair color or breast implants?

No children were involved. No one abused their position of authority... Its no one business but the people involved. Not guilty.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually the Arab man "Daniel" is married with children. Lying to get laid makes him a jerk. But 18 months in prison??? That speaks volumes about typical Israeli justice.
Only a jerk? Yeah, betraying your family is just a misdemeanor.

Other examples of Israeli justice:

Result? The nothing to the soldier who pulled the trigger and the officer that ordered it was reassigned to a training facility.

This story speaks for itself...

Not guilty. The Israeli captain who emptied his rifle into a Palestinain schoolgirl

I can give many similar examples of Israeli justice...
Oh, here we go again. 400 pages of anti-Israeli c&ps.

I'm against legislating morality. Its a slippery slope when a legal system enters the bedrooms of consenting adults. How much prison time should a woman get for lying about hair color or breast implants?
Yeah, lying about one's hair color or breast implants is definitely just as serious as betraying one's family or lying to get laid. :tard:

No children were involved. No one abused their position of authority... Its no one business but the people involved. Not guilty.
.... in Canada.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I know I'd feel deceived if a women lied to me about these other things while we were in a serious relationship. Sure these deceits aren't as serious as lying about being married with kids or a women lying about paternity, but they are still lies. So if this judgment isn't about a dirty Arab soiling a Jewish women (reminiscent of attitudes of white supremacists regarding black men having sex with white women) and really was about "rape by deceit", then surely these other deceptions would result in some punishment to Jews and Arabs equally.

Instead this court case is yet another example of how Israel oppresses and discriminates against Arabs.

IMO, I disagree with the criminal justice system getting involved in mutually consenting personal adult relationships, including deceitful ones.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Update in this topic:

Arab jailed for consensual sex appeals against sentence
Arab jailed for consensual sex appeals against sentence | News.com.au

AN ARAB man jailed for 18 months for duping a Jewish woman into consensual sex by lying about his ethnicity has appealed his sentence to Israel's supreme court.

The man's lawyer, Elkana Laist, told the Ynet news website that he had appealed because the severity of the sentence did not reflect the reality of the case.

Sabbar Kashur, 30, was sentenced to jail last week after a court found that the married Arab had had sex with the woman by posing as a Jewish bachelor interested in a long-term relationship.

When the woman found out he was not a Jew, she filed a police complaint that led to charges of rape and indecent assault. In a plea deal, Kashur later agreed to the charge of rape by deception.

"It's difficult to believe that a woman who has sex with a man just minutes after their first meeting is seriously basing her decision on his promises of a long-term relationship," Mr Laist told Ynet.

Because the incident was not premeditated and Kashur had no criminal past, defence lawyer Laist said, the court should have sentenced him to the time already served of two years under house arrest and 55 days in prison.

The case has caused an outcry in Israel, with many saying the decision was racist.

The argument that obtaining sex by false pretences is a form of rape has been used in several countries, including the United States.

Israel's Arab community numbers 1.3 million, about 20 per cent of the population. It includes descendants of the 160,000 Palestinians who remained in Israel after the 1948 war and the establishment of the Jewish state.

Relations between the two communities have always been controversial as Israel describes itself as both a Jewish and a democratic state.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I admit it does seem a bit heavy-handed a sentence, but I wouldn't go so far as to blame the entire Israeli government and judicial system for one judge's sentence. That would also seem to be heavy-handed, IMO.

I wonder what happens to guys who claim they have no STDs or something and have sex with women. Lying is lying, IMO. The guy's a straight out assh0le regardless of the woman's character.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Give someone aids its a criminal assault and possibly manslaughter or murder.

Rape by deception is when a Doctor claims that his sperm is the proscribed treatment for a disease or someone claims they are an immigration officer and can help you get Canadian citizenship in exchange for sex.

Rape by deception does not include lying about marital status, your religion, the size of your penis, or how good you are in bed.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This is the kind of thing one would expect in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Somalia or any of the other Islamic dictatorships.

But this really illustrates the dangers of basing a society solely upon religion. Israel is supposedly a democracy, but Jewish religion is regarded as superior to everything else. While they do have freedom of religion in Israel (more than can be said of Islamic countries), in the eyes of law, non Jews are clearly second class citizens.

Considering that Israel is officially a Jewish state, this verdict does not surprise me. While completely unjust, it pales in comparison to stoning of women for adultery, imprisoning or killing of Muslims for converting to Christianity etc. which routinely occurs in Islamic countries.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I admit it does seem a bit heavy-handed a sentence, but I wouldn't go so far as to blame the entire Israeli government and judicial system for one judge's sentence. That would also seem to be heavy-handed, IMO.

I wonder what happens to guys who claim they have no STDs or something and have sex with women. Lying is lying, IMO. The guy's a straight out assh0le regardless of the woman's character.

Well lying about having an STD that can directly affect someone for the rest of their life is a little different then saying your Jewish, Muslim or Christian.

And I blame the Israeli justice system because they allowed for such a law to exist in the first place, where someone can be jailed for lying about their religious beliefs...... that sounds like something you'd hear in the 1930's.

This is the kind of thing one would expect in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Somalia or any of the other Islamic dictatorships.

But this really illustrates the dangers of basing a society solely upon religion. Israel is supposedly a democracy, but Jewish religion is regarded as superior to everything else. While they do have freedom of religion in Israel (more than can be said of Islamic countries), in the eyes of law, non Jews are clearly second class citizens.

Considering that Israel is officially a Jewish state, this verdict does not surprise me. While completely unjust, it pales in comparison to stoning of women for adultery, imprisoning or killing of Muslims for converting to Christianity etc. which routinely occurs in Islamic countries.

Agreed, it's certainly not as bad as stoning someone because they drank some beer in a bar..... but to tie Israel to our "Western" way of life like many like to do, sure doesn't seem to make much sense, especially when they have laws like this one and have a clearly biased society towards those who are not Jewish and treat them like second class citizens...... especially Muslims.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Agreed, it's certainly not as bad as stoning someone because they drank some beer in a bar..... but to tie Israel to our "Western" way of life like many like to do, sure doesn't seem to make much sense, especially when they have laws like this one and have a clearly biased society towards those who are not Jewish and treat them like second class citizens...... especially Muslims.

Quite so. While we like to compare Israel with Western democracies, Israel really is a Middle Eastern country. It is progressive, liberal and tolerant compared to its neighbours (Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria etc.).

However, I think it is wrong to think of Israel as a western style democracy. It most certainly is not.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
While completely unjust, it pales in comparison to stoning of women for adultery, imprisoning or killing of Muslims for converting to Christianity etc. which routinely occurs in Islamic countries.
Read up on the Haredi. Your comparission to Islamic sects will crumble.

drudkh

Time Out
Jul 30, 2010
Pro-Israeli supporters (lol) on here are always making arguments on how more civilized Israel is over their neighbouring Arab countries. This story made me smile, because it really destroys that whole argument.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Give someone aids its a criminal assault and possibly manslaughter or murder.
Lying is lying. I don't think western civilisations take lying that seriously. Or at least not as seriously as other parts of the world. Shoddy principles.

Rape by deception is when a Doctor claims that his sperm is the proscribed treatment for a disease
That's rape by deception? I think someone told you one weird story about the birds & bees.
or someone claims they are an immigration officer and can help you get Canadian citizenship in exchange for sex.
Is that according to Israeli laws? Or is that just your opinion?

Rape by deception does not include lying about marital status, your religion, the size of your penis, or how good you are in bed.
Is that according to Israeli laws? Or is that just your opinion?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Pro-Israeli supporters (lol) on here are always making arguments on how more civilized Israel is over their neighbouring Arab countries. This story made me smile, because it really destroys that whole argument.

it does nothing of the sort. For similar offense, he probably will be sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia or Iran, rather than be given a small stretch in prison.

While even the small stretch in prison is unjust and uncivilized, it in no way compares to putting somebody to death. Compared to Islamic countries, Israel is definitely more civilized.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
That is the whole point, petros. I am not comparing Israel with Islamic sects or Islamic countries. In my opinion, there is no comparison.

SJP, maybe you should start making some comparisons between Israel and other Muslim countries.

Read this first person testimony about Jewish life in Iran:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/23/opinion/23cohen.html?_r=1

Here is another account of Jewish life in Iran:
In Ahmadinejad's Iran, Jews still find a space / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

I'm not claiming Iran is an enlightened country. On the contrary, Iran has serious human rights problems:
http://thereport.amnesty.org/sites/default/files/AIR2010_AZ_EN.pdf#page=119

But Iran's human rights problems seem relatively minor compared to those what is going on in Israel:
http://thereport.amnesty.org/sites/default/files/AIR2010_AZ_EN.pdf#page=129

Read AI's entire report on the middle east and you won't find a single country with as serious human rights problems as Israel and the occupied territories.

If you have the time, I recommend you take the time to read the United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza Conflict
United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza conflict

This mission was headed by a Jewish Justice from South Africa.

Reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Goldstone

Richard Joseph Goldstone (born October 26, 1938 ) is a South African former judge. After working for 17 years as a commercial lawyer, he was appointed by the South African government to serve on the Transvaal Supreme Court from 1980 to 1989 and the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of South Africa from 1990 to 1994. He was one of several liberal judges who issued key rulings that undermined apartheid from within the system by tempering the worst effects of the country's racial laws. Among other important rulings, Goldstone made the Group Areas Act – under which non-whites were banned from living in "whites only" areas – virtually unworkable by restricting evictions. As a result, prosecutions under the act virtually ceased.

During the transition from apartheid to multiracial democracy in the early 1990s he headed the influential Goldstone Commission investigations into political violence in South Africa between 1991 and 1994. His work enabled multi-party negotiations to remain on course despite repeated outbreaks of violence, and his willingness to criticise all sides and discover the truth led to him being dubbed "perhaps the most trusted man, certainly the most trusted member of the white establishment" in South Africa.[1] He was credited with playing an indispensable role in the transition and became a household name in South Africa, also attracting widespread international support and interest.

Goldstone's work investigating violence led directly to him being nominated to serve as the first chief prosecutor of the United Nations (UN) International Criminal Tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and for Rwanda from August 1994 to September 1996.[2] He prosecuted a number of key war crimes suspects, notably the Bosnian Serb political and military leaders, Radovan Karadžić and Ratko Mladić. On his return to South Africa he took up a seat on the newly-established Constitutional Court of South Africa, to which he had been nominated by President Nelson Mandela.[2]

In 2009 Goldstone led an independent fact-finding mission created by the UN Human Rights Council to investigate international human rights and humanitarian law violations related to the Gaza War.[2][3] The mission's findings that Israel and Hamas had both committed serious violations of the laws of war led to a major international controversy.

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
Like I said before: "Do you fully understand Israeli law? Do you fully understand Judaism? Do you fully understand that woman's version of Judaism? What if her religion said that if she had sex outside of her religion, she'd never get to Jewish heaven?"

Not all Israelis are circumcised. Oh, yeah, and BTW, a lot of Muslims are circumcised. Look it up

you are right,Anna-both Israelis and Muslims are circumcised ,so the case shouldn't have been much offending for that woman
what if the woman got a Christian's "organ" (not circumcised)?

in that case, she may have a chance to go to heaven...

Jewish rules and Sheria are just of rubbish, those kind of matters cannot be solved by such nonsenses
that ends up with a failure of Justice and Reason by Israel Court.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
you are right,Anna-both Israelis and Muslims are circumcised ,so the case shouldn't have been much offending for that woman
what if the woman got a Christian's "organ" (not circumcised)?

in that case, she may have a chance to go to heaven...

Jewish rules and Sheria are just of rubbish, those kind of matters cannot be solved by such nonsenses
that ends up with a failure of Justice and Reason by Israel Court.
I pretty much agree, but when goofy buggers try to suggest that ME laws are like western laws, I have to laugh. These sorts of people cannot comprehend that ME people are a lot more dedicated to what they think are good principles than we are, so their opinions are usually comical at best and ludicrous at worst. Western minds are sloppy when it comes to principles.

drudkh

Time Out
Jul 30, 2010
it does nothing of the sort. For similar offense, he probably will be sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia or Iran, rather than be given a small stretch in prison.

While even the small stretch in prison is unjust and uncivilized, it in no way compares to putting somebody to death. Compared to Islamic countries, Israel is definitely more civilized.

that's a dumb argument. "duur well they're MORE civilized than the arabs!"

israel has proven they can be just uncivilized as their neighbours. just because they put someone to jail for a ridiculous crime instead of death, it's still barbarism either way. the man shouldn't even be on trial, it's a joke.

israeli troops have killed reporters, once it was recorded on camera and made into a documentary. israel and civilized don't belong in the same sentence.

also so we have no idea if this man would be put to death in an Muslim country for a similar crime.

Reactions: selin