Ontario to fund more private clinic surgeries in bid to stabilize health-care system

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

Hopefully this will include a plan to treat those on the left who's heads explode when they read this.

It's probably a pretty reasonable response to the crisis given the circumstances. But it will drive many bonkers.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Hopefully this will include a plan to treat those on the left who's heads explode when they read this.

It's probably a pretty reasonable response to the crisis given the circumstances. But it will drive many bonkers.
It's funny listening to the leftards explode over this idea considering Ontario's clinics have been privately run for YEARS. Hell, even Jack Layton got his hernia surgery at a privately run facility that bills the govt for services rendered.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It's funny listening to the leftards explode over this idea considering Ontario's clinics have been privately run for YEARS. Hell, even Jack Layton got his hernia surgery at a privately run facility that bills the govt for services rendered.
I know, its stupid. And it's not just ontario. Quebec has gone even further down that road, and other provinces offer some species of 'Gov't funded private' service. And it's not like the current model is working out so great. These people literally care more about the ideology than the patients.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I know, its stupid. And it's not just ontario. Quebec has gone even further down that road, and other provinces offer some species of 'Gov't funded private' service. And it's not like the current model is working out so great. These people literally care more about the ideology than the patients.
From what I've heard Alberta's private/public health care system works just fine, pandemics notwithstanding.
And yep, when ideology matters more than anything else it creates massive problems.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
When has that ever NOT been true?

Reactions: The_Foxer

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

Those ones are already bonkers. Our joke of a healthcare system has had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel for years. This obsession with free medical has cot us Billions of dollars and held us back all because of a pipe dream. Our medical system has never been free, except for the very lowest tier on the income scale. Budgeting has always been based on politics instead of need. Many medical services are not even covered. I am required, by the government to take a physical for my drivers license, but medical doesn’t cover it. This year it was $150. and all the doc did was check my breathing, lack of eye site, and read my firefighter medical that I brought along. Medical doesn’t cover that one either. Local taxpayers do. They are also going to pick up the tab for my drivers medical. Fringe benefit for donating your time.
until the BC Liberals took power in 2001 non of the hospitals had any idea of costs. They quite literally couldn’t tell you what 1 ban-aid cost. One of my cousins was the engineer in charge of the new Comox Valley and Campbell River hospitals a few years back. I also know a fief people that work there. It is a 3P thing. So the nurse that I know who works there was telling me a few weeks back about how expensive getting anything fixed was and how they were billed for every little thing and had a budget. I couldn’t resist asking her if all that stuff was free before.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
From what I've heard Alberta's private/public health care system works just fine, pandemics notwithstanding.
And yep, when ideology matters more than anything else it creates massive problems.
Hospitals & doctor's visits are covered under Alberta Health Care (AHC). Chiropractors & most physiotherapists are private although there are treatments by physio's that are covered under AHC but they actually work out of a hospital.

After a surgical procedure, Alberta Health does pay for some additional treatments that are provided privately. After my hip replacement, I was covered for physio for 7 treatments which is clearly not enough; my insurance picked up the remaining treatments so insurance is necessary.

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Hospitals & doctor's visits are covered under Alberta Health Care (AHC). Chiropractors & most physiotherapists are private although there are treatments by physio's that are covered under AHC but they actually work out of a hospital.

After a surgical procedure, Alberta Health does pay for some additional treatments that are provided privately. After my hip replacement, I was covered for physio for 7 treatments which is clearly not enough; my insurance picked up the remaining treatments so insurance is necessary.
One of the benefits of free healthcare is that insurance is optional ./s

• Haha
Reactions: Jinentonix

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

That's pretty much what Ontario does. Although it did it a LOT more efficiently before 15 years of gross leftard mismanagement.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
That's pretty much what Ontario does. Although it did it a LOT more efficiently before 15 years of gross leftard mismanagement.

And then there's the gross Righttard mismanagement of NB.

The ruin of health care across Canada is not specific to one party and thinking it is, just shows ignorance.

And I guess I'm showing my 'non lefttard' side, as I actually think a two tier system might be the only way to go at this point for health care.

But then I also think that some services should be paid for, like health cards paid for, like a generic doctor's visit, and if you go to an ER department and it's NOT an emergency, you have to pay. I see too much abuse of the ER, though granted it's also because there aren't enough GP's to cover people having a doctor, and the ER is the only place they can go.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

The ruin of health care across Canada is not specific to one party and thinking it is, just shows ignorance.
The ruin of health care in Ontario can be placed firmly at the feet of the Ontario Liberals, period. Mental health care took a fucking beating from the Liberals. They also like to play political games with people's health. Let me give you an example. Back when I lived in Cambridge we had one hospital to serve a population of over 120,000 people. The previous Conservative govt had noticed that Cambridge Hospital was in short supply of funding but was also being responsible with what they were getting. The govt bumped up their funding and also provided them an emergency slush for things that the hospital needed or was going to need shortly, like new boilers, a new roof, new equipment etc. In the 2003 Ontario election the city voted Conservative. McGuinty decided to play political games and reduced the hospital's funding to previous levels and took away their slush fund...and gave it to Guelph hospital because that city voted Liberal.
And I guess I'm showing my 'non lefttard' side, as I actually think a two tier system might be the only way to go at this point for health care.

But then I also think that some services should be paid for, like health cards paid for, like a generic doctor's visit, and if you go to an ER department and it's NOT an emergency, you have to pay. I see too much abuse of the ER, though granted it's also because there aren't enough GP's to cover people having a doctor, and the ER is the only place they can go.
Again, in Ontario that was supposed to be alleviated by the introduction of more privately run clinics. The problem is, the vast majority of the time you go to a clinic, they can't do what's needed and send you to the fucking ER anyway. And I agree with your ER sentiments. Quite frankly if you're lucid enough to play fucking candy crush on your phone, it's safe to say you don't have an emergency.
By the way, Ontarians pay a health care premium of up to $900/mo thanks to the Liberals.

As for paying for health cards, the only ones who should be paying for them are the fucking immigrants. In Ontario we had to switch to new photo ID health cards that are renewed every 5 years because immigrants kept lending their health cards out to illegals so they could get free health care.

One of the absolute fucking dumbest ideas I ever heard was offering some kind of idiotic health care "credit". Basically everyone would start off with a set number of credits. Every time you accessed the health care system you would have credits deducted. Any credits left over at the end of the year would be refunded to you via your provincial tax forms. That was a while ago so I don't remember which party dreamt up that bit of idiocy.

But the biggest blame probably goes to the Liberals spending billions on needless wind turbines and indoctrinators for schools while letting health care lag, especially in the personnel dept.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Anybody who thinks that any health-care system can be anything but "two (or more) tier" is fantasizing.

The smart play is to just acknowledge it and elevate the lower tier as much as feasible.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

From what I understand the Ontario government is paying for treatment at private clinics. Not officially 2-tier.

Most provinces have struggles with health care since the 1990s when a certain federal finance minister balanced the federal budget by chopping transfer payments to the provinces for healthcare and education. Each province handled the shortfall differently but that is the root of most of the issue IMHO. Now we still have the federal cut and nowhere close to a balanced budget.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The ruin of health care in Ontario can be placed firmly at the feet of the Ontario Liberals, period. Mental health care took a fucking beating from the Liberals. They also like to play political games with people's health. Let me give you an example. Back when I lived in Cambridge we had one hospital to serve a population of over 120,000 people. The previous Conservative govt had noticed that Cambridge Hospital was in short supply of funding but was also being responsible with what they were getting. The govt bumped up their funding and also provided them an emergency slush for things that the hospital needed or was going to need shortly, like new boilers, a new roof, new equipment etc. In the 2003 Ontario election the city voted Conservative. McGuinty decided to play political games and reduced the hospital's funding to previous levels and took away their slush fund...and gave it to Guelph hospital because that city voted Liberal.

Again, in Ontario that was supposed to be alleviated by the introduction of more privately run clinics. The problem is, the vast majority of the time you go to a clinic, they can't do what's needed and send you to the fucking ER anyway. And I agree with your ER sentiments. Quite frankly if you're lucid enough to play fucking candy crush on your phone, it's safe to say you don't have an emergency.
By the way, Ontarians pay a health care premium of up to $900/mo thanks to the Liberals.

As for paying for health cards, the only ones who should be paying for them are the fucking immigrants. In Ontario we had to switch to new photo ID health cards that are renewed every 5 years because immigrants kept lending their health cards out to illegals so they could get free health care.

One of the absolute fucking dumbest ideas I ever heard was offering some kind of idiotic health care "credit". Basically everyone would start off with a set number of credits. Every time you accessed the health care system you would have credits deducted. Any credits left over at the end of the year would be refunded to you via your provincial tax forms. That was a while ago so I don't remember which party dreamt up that bit of idiocy.

But the biggest blame probably goes to the Liberals spending billions on needless wind turbines and indoctrinators for schools while letting health care lag, especially in the personnel dept.
You nailed it. Wynne devistated healthcare in ON.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Well, guess Ontario is just special that way then, as usual :rolleyes:

So for Ontario, the Liberals are always to blame.

Here in NB, it's both parties - Liberal and Cons - cause for the past 30 years or so both Governments have done SFA when it comes to helping out health care.

Ah, see here, we have those damned Americans defrauding the province for health care. Cause too many NBers have 'friends/family' that are yanks who get a hold of cards to get free health care.

Yer right, that would be idiocy.

Funny, all your complaints about Ontario Libs, when right now Ford is in charge and he's doing SFA pretty much, or at least, so I hear.

Kind'a like how our Premier doesn't give one sweet fig about health care, or NB at all really.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Both major parties are complicit on the Health Care file and they seem to be at a loss as to how to "fix it". Because of the uproar from Canadians whenever "a private alternative" is mentioned, (even if still paid for by government), so politicians won't challenge our current system. With the word "private", it seems that people automatically think that you must have money in order to access it so it's not Universal but it could be.

If it was explained properly, people might be more for it but I could be wrong. Also, in today's world, the lack of resources (i.e. people power) would maybe (?) not make it viable now, I don't know. Just throwing it out there.....

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
This is so weird, since most doctors are private businesses that are paid by the government on a fee for service model.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Both major parties are complicit on the Health Care file and they seem to be at a loss as to how to "fix it". Because of the uproar from Canadians whenever "a private alternative" is mentioned, (even if still paid for by government), so politicians won't challenge our current system. With the word "private", it seems that people automatically think that you must have money in order to access it so it's not Universal but it could be.

If it was explained properly, people might be more for it but I could be wrong. Also, in today's world, the lack of resources (i.e. people power) would maybe (?) not make it viable now, I don't know. Just throwing it out there.....
One model is that the government is more of an insurance provider paying all the bills but the services are all private and not owned by the government. I think this would cost more but would be a better system for the patients.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
One model is that the government is more of an insurance provider paying all the bills but the services are all private and not owned by the government. I think this would cost more but would be a better system for the patients.
That's the model France, generally regarded as the best health-care system in the world, uses. Australia and Japan use variations on that model (Australia is "public option" insurance).

There are good arguments for it. When health-care facilities are constrained by the sharp-eyed people at insurance companies, they learn to be efficient.

Government-run (and paid for) health-care facilities tend to suffer the same kind of fraud, waste, and abuse as other government agencies.