NHL Playoffs '09

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Pittsburg pulled this off, although they had lapses in the game where they didn't
get many shots at all, and detroit seemed to totally control most of the game.
I missed bits of the game, was in and out of the house, but saw most of it.
The detroit anaheim series was much better, anaheim gave them much more trouble.

4-2 for Pittsburg, fourth goal, empty net.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Don't know if anyones interested other than I, but just in case,Manitoba Moose won last night,
so they are tied at one game a piece for hershey bears. A. H. L.

Jaffrey got a hat trick.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I didn't catch all of last nights game but from the intermittant views I had, Detroit owned the first two periods after Pittsburgh got that first goal. The 3rd looked like the Pens finally figured out how to counter Detroit. I'm not convinced they can come back and win it but this could make it interesting, if Pittsburgh has gotten over a mental hurdle as to how to play against the Wings.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I didn't catch all of last nights game but from the intermittant views I had, Detroit owned the first two periods after Pittsburgh got that first goal. The 3rd looked like the Pens finally figured out how to counter Detroit. I'm not convinced they can come back and win it but this could make it interesting, if Pittsburgh has gotten over a mental hurdle as to how to play against the Wings.

It wasn't Osgood's best night, fleury was sharper than he.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Did you see Bettman on HNIC yesterday? He sure is a miserable prick. I've yet to see the guy to in a tone that wasn't condescending.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Did you see Bettman on HNIC yesterday? He sure is a miserable prick. I've yet to see the guy to in a tone that wasn't condescending.

Yes, I saw it, I've seen most of his HNIC intermission interviews over the years.
They are very uncomfortable and nerve racking. He is a sleeze ball, probably
started out as a used car salesman. He will never answer any question that
would force him to disclose anything that made sense, he protects his own
interests (his job), and the governors of the nhl. They have their own agenda,
and it has nothing to do with helping the owner of the phoenix coyotes, or
creating more money for the league, by putting a team in a city that would
create more revenue,but, only to further his cause, one being
keeping the phoenix team where it is, until he has a city to move it to, eg.
Las Vegas or Kansas City.
I must add that, the nhl is 'financially carrying' the phoenix owner for the time being,
but that is at the expense of all of the other owners.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
SERIES MATCHUP

GAME 3:
2 - 4

Red Wings lead series 2 - 1
GAME 4:

Datsyuk is bound and determined to play in Game 4
Wednesday, 06.03.2009 / 4:54 PM / 2009 Stanley Cup Final: Detroit vs. Pittsburgh
By Brian Compton - NHL.com Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- It's been a frustrating couple of weeks for Hart Trophy finalist Pavel Datsyuk, but it appears as if the Detroit Red Wings' forward is close to returning to the lineup.

Datsyuk has not played since taking a shot on the foot in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals against the Chicago Blackhawks on May 19. He did, however, practice with the Wings on Wednesday afternoon at Mellon Arena and hopes to be in uniform for Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Pittsburgh Penguins Thursday night (8 p.m. ET, VERSUS, CBC, RDS). Detroit suffered a 4-2 loss in Game 3 on Tuesday and now leads the best-of-7 series 2-1.

With a chance to take a 3-1 lead back to Motown, don't be surprised if No. 13 is in the lineup Thursday. He is currently labeled as a game-time decision.

"I'm healthy now," said Datsyuk, who had 32 goals and 65 assists during the regular season. "But we'll make tomorrow a game decision. This is not fun to watch. It's better when you play the game and you be there with your teammates on the ice."

While Datsyuk is eager to get back into action, Detroit coach Mike Babcock was not prepared Wednesday to say that his No. 1 center will be in the lineup for Game 4.

Hope Datsyuk is back, I love his game, very exciting and thorough player, and
draper will be back too.

Hope Detroit take it to them tonight, I'll have my fingers crossed, in my
opinion detroit is by far the better team, and I don't want to see Pittsburg
bungle their way to the championship, like they did in winning game 3, if
they are going to win this series they better play much better, they are
dissapointing to me.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
pitts. 4 detroit 2. - Full marks to pittsburgh tonight, they were the better team,
and well deserved the win.
It wasn't 2 minutes after I said to my husband, "Jordan Staal is not playing well, he
looks slow and clumsy, and boom he scored a goal, shoud have kept my mouth shut.
Staal's line played well tonight, finally.
Detroit were fine for a while, but they seemed tired through the middle part of
the game, very noticeable in Zetterburg, maybe all these minutes he is playing
is catching up with him, and I noticed it with some of the others wings as well,
a little slow getting to the puck, let pitts beat them on many trys.
The key for Pittsburgh again tonight is Fleury, he played great, but Osgood had
a good game too.
Back to detroit now, and it is best out of 3
Maybe we will see Datsyuk next game, I hope.

GO DETROIT GO

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I would love to see Detroit go down just because Hossa left the Pens in order to win a cup. That would be too sweet to see the Pens take it away from him.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I would love to see Detroit go down just because Hossa left the Pens in order to win a cup. That would be too sweet to see the Pens take it away from him.

I can't stand the thought of that little 'coward' mat cooke winning the cup. I
am pulling for my conference, nothing to do with any single player.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
I'm glad Pittsburgh won tonight. I did not want to see Detroit just walk away with it. Now it's even.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Probably no one will notice this posting. But... Can someone please enlighten me on why it is that it seems that when I reply on a thread, that appears to be the end of any other comments on it.
Then I apologize...

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Maybe your comments are too deep and intelligent and the rest of us feel a little intimidated following you. Try one of these 8O at the end of your posts or :kermit:

You could call people asshats. That might get a response.

Watch and learn...

talloola, anybody that dislikes Matt Cooke is an asshat.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

He sure comes across as a slimely little twerp. I think he has 'little man syndrome', where short guys are assholes to make up for their lack of height.

I agree with his point that you can't decide to move a franchise anywhere you want, but that doesn't explain his personal hatred of Balsillie.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Last night, for the first time in the series, Pittsburgh was the better team. Staal's SH goal was awesome. It was nice to see someone aside from Malkin and Crosby show up. I don't think Detroit has been dominant but they have clearly been the better team in the series to this point. Now maybe the tide is turning. It will be interesting to see game 5 in Detroit. I just hope if it goes south on the Wings they don't blame Osgood: he's been their best player.

Bettman and Ron Maclean, I agree Bettman didn't seem all that comfortable and a little abrupt but a) Maclean didn't go as easy on him as in times past, pressing a bit about Phoenix, b) he's a lawyer, and c) what do we want from him? He wasn't going to come on and say "Yes I want Hamilton to get a team" or anyplace else that involves moving a team but thats the only thing that would seem to satisfy some people. He has to perform a balancing act whether its about Phoenix, which is before a judge, or bringing teams to places like Winnipeg, Halifax or Quebec City: he can't just say I want to expand here, here and here because they need owners in the markets willing to step to the fore and the league has to agree expansion is warranted.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
talloola, anybody that dislikes Matt Cooke is an asshat.

We had mat cooke on the canucks for years, and the best friend on the ice
for him is the referee, he stirs up trouble, then makes sure he is on the
shoulder of the referee when someone wants him to drop the gloves. I
saw that behavior for years, he will 'not' fight, but puts himself in a position
where he should. Vineault obviously was totally ashamed of him, and cooke
knew that, became sullen and pouty, till he was traded.
That doesn't show in playoffs so much, because fighting is not a playoff activity.
He has new life in pittsburg, good for him.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Game 5 tonight! I really hope that Pittsburgh can take it! Detroit is looking sloooooow. Datsyuk will be a non-factor more than likely, as he has not played in 6 or 7 games. Also, since his foot is the cause of his injury, he will not be as quick as he may need to be.

Detroit fans first said that the return of Draper would return them to their winning ways, and now they are saying the same of Datsyuk. They were wrong with Draper, and I hope they are wrong about Datsyuk.

Kick-ass series so far. Far superior to the one last year.:cool:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Game 5 tonight! I really hope that Pittsburgh can take it! Detroit is looking sloooooow. Datsyuk will be a non-factor more than likely, as he has not played in 6 or 7 games. Also, since his foot is the cause of his injury, he will not be as quick as he may need to be.

Detroit fans first said that the return of Draper would return them to their winning ways, and now they are saying the same of Datsyuk. They were wrong with Draper, and I hope they are wrong about Datsyuk.

Kick-ass series so far. Far superior to the one last year.:cool:
No the west has to win.