NHL Playoffs '09

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
news on team 1040 this morning. Patrick Roy, and two other coaches from his neck of the woods, (jr. hockey I guess), will be hired by colorado avalanche, he will be general manager
as well as head coach, they will be his assistants. Another fellow will be co-g.m.
with him. Not confirmed yet.

That is possibly the worst thing that could happen to that team. For one thing, it would be very difficult for Roy to fit his ego through the doorways.;-)

He has little experience as a head coach(at the NHL level) and NO experience as a GM. With the status of that team being what it currently is, he is not the right fit for them. Judging from his "escapades" as the head coach of the Ramparts, I would not want him as a head coach. Telling his players to head-hunt? Not cool.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
good news, AHL - Manitoba Moose has won the western conference finals against the
houston aeros, so now they advance to the 'calder cup' finals against the 'hershey
bears'.

Manitoba were the overall top team in the league this season, and now have won
two series.
Cody Hodgson is playing on the team, had one assist tonight, this is great experience for him, and now he will be part of the Calder Cup final.

Any idea if the series will be telecast? Since they are the only Canadian team still playing hockey, it would be nice to watch it. I checked out the TSN and Sportsnet websites and couldn't find anything.

As for Roy, I find it hard to believe that a team would hand over so much control to an unproven talent but they obviously know him better than I do.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm glad Roy will be leaving the Q; he's not particularly welcome anymore, and his asshole son can go with him. They can go somewhere else and break chairs and toilets in the dressing room, like the mature adults they are.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I dunno Talloola, teams hire unproven guys all the time. Look at players like Tony Granato or Craig Mactavish who were into coaching right away after they retired. Even Rick Tocchet, Gretzky, or the entire Habs office: Gainey, Carboneau et al. I think a lot depends on who you know/how you get along with the owners/team brass when you're a player. Roy at least spent some time coaching major junior.

As for Roy, he's two-edged: Denver still loves him for being a winner there for them. His name in the news means instant interest from a fan base thats had little to cheer for in the last couple seasons. On the other hand while he is an intense competitor, that intensity (temper) has got him in trouble in the past, leading to his exit from Montreal as a player and the suspensions and fines in the QMJHL. And taking on the coach and GM jobs from the start seems to be a pretty big bite... I wonder how long before we hear "but I wasn't ready..." like on that old MacDonald's commercial :p

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm glad Roy will be leaving the Q; he's not particularly welcome anymore, and his asshole son can go with him. They can go somewhere else and break chairs and toilets in the dressing room, like the mature adults they are.

What ever happened to his son anyhow? Did he get fined or will he still be facing the possibility(albeit small) jail sentence?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It does seem like a rather 'desperate' move on the part of the avalanche, but the flip side of that is, that perhaps he is a really good coach, and perhaps he now has
grown up, and seen the light a little, and I also heard from two NHL coaches that
he has a 'great' technical mind for coaching, so, I am going to put my judgement
on the shelf and hope the best for him, because it couldn't be worse than Bill
LaForge in vancouver some years ago, the exact opposite to Roy, and as I watched
those games I often wished someone would shove a firecracker up 'where the sun
don't shine', to give him some spirit.;-)
Roy is very competetive, wants to win, and hopefully is bringing with him some very good assistants, and will have a co-g.m. to work with, so that tells me that
he is learning on the job, 'with help' as a g.m.
And, it's also taking charge of 'all hockey operations', for the avalanche.
And, oh by the way, it is still not 'confirmed'.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Everyone interested 'should' contact sportsnet to request manitoba moose televised
games for the calder cup, apparantly 1040 have talked to them.
team 1040 has a poll question wanting to know how many would watch that hockey. I'm going to answer right now.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
From what I read it looks like Quinn and Renney will be essentially co-coaches in Edmonton. I can see a possibility of that working: Quinn's strength is motivating where Renney's is the technical side. I'm not sure if I was an Oiler fan that I would be wild about 2 coaches but it could work out for them. Whenever I see a situation like that though I always wonder who the real boss is and how they make in-game decisions by committee :p

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
From what I read it looks like Quinn and Renney will be essentially co-coaches in Edmonton. I can see a possibility of that working: Quinn's strength is motivating where Renney's is the technical side. I'm not sure if I was an Oiler fan that I would be wild about 2 coaches but it could work out for them. Whenever I see a situation like that though I always wonder who the real boss is and how they make in-game decisions by committee :p

normally I would agree, but in this case, I think it's a perfect fit. Pat Quinn
is past his prime as a 'today's' hockey coach, he is a players coach, has great
presence and the players always like him, but he lacks in the exxes and os'
catagory, as todays game is so technical and detailed, each other's weaknesses
is the other one's strengths, so together they make a 'complete' team, and I
think it will work, as long as they can motivate (which quinn can do) those
underachieving edmonton players, and add some players with more grit.
Edmonton now is made up with ex canuck mgrs and coaches.
Hope they do well in edmonton, as long as quinn stays away from the canucks organization, I don't mind him at all.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Pittsburg Penguins have made it to the stanley cup finals, just beat carolina 4-1.
So, now if detroit can just do it tomorrow, then the finals can start on Saturday,
otherwise we will be waiting well over a week.

Congrats. to Pittsburg.

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Pittsburgh made Carolina look weak! I can't believe that this is the same team that beat New Jersey and Boston!8O

I do not want to wait a week either, so I hope Detroit wins tonight. The schedule for the playoffs has been idiotic with the amount of extra days off they've had.:roll:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'll agree with Shadowshiv about the schedule being idiotic, with the layoffs, but I'm cheering for Chicago (OK really I'm cheering for the Pens now but I'd rather see the kids in Chicago go farther than Team UN in Detroit :p).

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I will be pulling for detroit all the way, it is my conference, and I love the team,
plays the hockey I love.

Just heard a hot bit of 'news'. An upstanding citizen was picked up in Florida,
and had possession of a large amount of steroids.
Apparantly he told them that he is a 'pipeline' to the washington nationals, and
the 'washington capitals.'
We will hear more about this, but it is just a tiny baby of a beginning on 'perhaps'
a huge story, we will see.
This fellow calls himself the largest steroid dealer in central florida. (maybe he is
just a big guy)lol

Even if I was a chicago fan, I would be fed up with this dragged out, way too late
in the season, playoff, I want the finals to get started, and I sure wish they
would figure out how to have it over by early May, every year.
Start it September 15
GO DETROIT GO

Last edited:

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
WoooWhooo!...Chicago..

Go Jim Basallie...Coyotes are a good team.Pheonix a great state but together in hockey..Sorry it didn't work out..We would greatly appreciate this hockey team..reward them with fans/raise a cheer/ a beer and a stanely cup..To the nhl and the powers that b. Please allow us, this wild, coyote, hockey team..

On a more somber note..

Peter Zezel -..Once A great leaf /a great player /Good man. Will Always be remembered ,as part of the winning team..R.I.P

Last edited: