NHL Playoffs '09

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Boston deserved to lose the series the way they got down 3 games to 1. I wanted them to win, but they didn't "want" it enough earlier in the series. I really hope that Pittsburgh will beat Carolina. With Boston losing, I'm pretty much toast in the pool, so I want Pittsburgh to win it all. A Pittsburgh/Detroit rematch with Pittsburgh winning this time would be nice. I think Pittsburgh is a different team mentally than last year. Of course, Detroit has to get past Chicago first, which may not be an easy task.

I am so glad that Anaheim is gone. What a bunch of dirty goons.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Boston deserved to lose the series the way they got down 3 games to 1. I wanted them to win, but they didn't "want" it enough earlier in the series. I really hope that Pittsburgh will beat Carolina. With Boston losing, I'm pretty much toast in the pool, so I want Pittsburgh to win it all. A Pittsburgh/Detroit rematch with Pittsburgh winning this time would be nice. I think Pittsburgh is a different team mentally than last year. Of course, Detroit has to get past Chicago first, which may not be an easy task.

I am so glad that Anaheim is gone. What a bunch of dirty goons.

Yeah, between perry and pronger, dirty is right, and it's also kind of frustrating
how blind the refs are, with two of them out there, they miss blatant things,
not only in that series, but in our series too, how about when kesler was
shouldered right in the face, and it was ignored, as though it was just a
collision, it was very obvious, and there were other missed calls too, for
other teams and in other games. It seem the only that happens with two refs on
the ice, is that they are in the way all the time, and confuse the play, and get in
between players and muddle things up, they do need two of them, but does it help?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Pronger is called one of the dirtiest players in the NHL but how are we going to hold up that stick? Holmstrom and Zetterberg are known for their consistent interference with goaltenders. Isn't a foul a foul? Honestly, if I was good enough (which I never ever was close to being :p ) I wouldn't want to play against Pronger because he's got about the nastiest mean streak in the game, but it also helped win him a Stanley Cup. Lots of legends were called dirty: Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Clarke, Brian Trottier, Mark Messier... but people almost deify some of these names in the hockey world because they were winners.

And as far as the winning goal, here's NHL rule 69.3

[FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]Contact Inside the Goal Crease [/FONT][/FONT]- If an attacking player initiates
contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the
goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be
disallowed

By that rule (and there are more reiterations of the same thing in the rule book), the goal should have been waved off. Now I don't blame or disagree with the call the refs made (we had the benefit of umpteen replay views and multiple angles where he had one shot to make a split second call from behind the net), but if we're talking strict interpretations of the rules...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Pronger is called one of the dirtiest players in the NHL but how are we going to hold up that stick? Holmstrom and Zetterberg are known for their consistent interference with goaltenders. Isn't a foul a foul? Honestly, if I was good enough (which I never ever was close to being :p ) I wouldn't want to play against Pronger because he's got about the nastiest mean streak in the game, but it also helped win him a Stanley Cup. Lots of legends were called dirty: Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Clarke, Brian Trottier, Mark Messier... but people almost deify some of these names in the hockey world because they were winners.

And as far as the winning goal, here's NHL rule 69.3

That is not the same rule that was read on tv last night. I saw the play, the
puck was not frozen, it was loose behind the goalie's pad, he stuck his stick
in there trying to push the puck, sure the pad moved, but the goalie was
also moving, it wasn't goalie interference it was incidental contact, as the
player is allowed to try to score when the puck is not frozen, if the goalie
had the puck frozen under his pad, (or glove, or his body), yes, I would agree,
but that was not the case, it was very clear on replays. That puck is up for
grabs. If a player sees the puck lying loose, as it was, he is allowed to go for
it, and incidental contact is allowed, but he can't push the goalie into the
net when he has the puck, the goalie did not have the puck, he didn't even
know where it was.
Yes, those players were all dirty players, and yes, the dirty player has always
been part of the game, but not liked by anyone but their own teams.
Holmstrom has always played right on the doorstep, and sure sometimes he
interferes, but he also takes a beating there, by hit that are also illegal, so
it evens out. Datsyuk has velcro on his stick i'm sure, one of my favourite
players, very talented, great two way player.
You can't take contact out of the game, and when there is contact there will
always be checkers and offensive players who push a little too hard, the game
has always been like that.
It's the blatant intent to knock someones's head off, or take out his knee, or
charge and land on top of the goalie, (goes on all the time), that is the
danger, and oftentimes 'missed', can't understand how they miss something so
obvious, especially when there are two of them.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Actually Talloola, according to the rule, incidental contact is NOT allowed thus by the letter of the NHL law, that goal should have been disallowed. In a way it points to another failing of the NHL's video replay policy. In keeping with the spirit of the game, I think it was a "good" goal, because Hiller was never able to contain the puck... and thats where things get muddled... sorta like 10 years ago when a foot in the crease, not contacting the goaltender meant goals were disallowed. And this carries on throughout other aspects of officiating, which leads to muddled calls at times.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Actually Talloola, according to the rule, incidental contact is NOT allowed thus by the letter of the NHL law, that goal should have been disallowed. In a way it points to another failing of the NHL's video replay policy. In keeping with the spirit of the game, I think it was a "good" goal, because Hiller was never able to contain the puck... and thats where things get muddled... sorta like 10 years ago when a foot in the crease, not contacting the goaltender meant goals were disallowed. And this carries on throughout other aspects of officiating, which leads to muddled calls at times.

Yep, the specifics of the rule would call that goal illegal, but there is such a
grey area, anytime the puck is not frozen, players do not turn around and skate
away, if they can see the puck, they fight for control of it, the goalie must
freeze it, or trap it under them in some way to stop that, so it is a muddle that
is for sure.
If he had the puck frozen under his pad, or glove, I would agree that the goal
should never count if the player shoved the pad or glove over the line, but
this puck was not frozen, it was loose, hiller probably thought he had it
frozen, he didn't, and the player was after the puck, and not trying intentionally to push the goalie into the net, so, that puck was up for grabs, then it up to the referee
to decide, obviously he could see that it was not frozen, and decided that
the incidental contact was not illegal, because the puck was loose, so that
leaves it with the ref., then if you're a detroit fan, your happy and if you're
a anaheim fan you're angry.
I'm glad that 'foot in crease' rule was stopped, as it was ridiculous and ruined
many plays. eg. sometimes a player on the other side of the goal, having
nothing to do with the play or the goalie, had the front of his skate over
the blue paint, it was then not a goal, crazy, we got frustrated with those
plays, they were silly, you should have to somehow create a problem with
the goalie to be called on interference, and even then it is a discretion
call by the referee, depending where the puck is, as a player has a right
to fight for the puck as long as it is loose. One can never expect a player
to turn and skate away just because the goalie is inbetween him and the puck.
Some of the battles that go on in the goal area, with goalies right in the
middle are wild, and players are pretending to be pushed, or pretend to just
fall, and purposely land all over the goalie.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If incidental contact is not allowed, why do they have a different name for it,
than goalie interference. They know that there will always be contact with
the goalie, it can't be helped, so, isn't that why it's called incidental, as it
is allowed.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
GAME 1: 5/18 7:30 PM EDT, VERSUS(HD), TSN(HD), RDS(HD)
7:30 PM

I'm looking forward to this series, should be very entertaining indeed, and haven't a clue who will come out on top
Syd the kid has been playing awsome, and both goalies are sharp.
Malkin woke up a couple of games ago, so he is contributing as well.
Not sure if Gonchar will start or not, could make a big difference, although
they played without him for much of the season, and did well.

The Staal brothers will be playing against each other, must be frazzling for
their parents. And Cam Ward is awsome in net. Eric Cole has gone back to
his better performances since leaving edmonton, he said he never was comfortable in edmonton, now he certainly looks right at home.

Maybe the only reason I would pull for carolina, is so Mat Cooke can't possibly
win a stanley cup, he is such a 'jerk', I have no respect for him at all, so-----

GO HURRICANES GO

Enjoy

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Sid won a lot of respect from me for the way he carried the Pens through the first part of the last series. He showed a lit of grit and determination as well as talent and ability. Malkin, I know his style makes him look like a floater, but I'd like to see him be more physical. I think Gonchar is a big question mark too with the knee injury ( I was surprised they didn't sit him more in the last game once it was well in hand). I shake my head in admiration for what Bill Guerin is still able to contribute.

For Carolina, you gotta love old Rod Brind'amour. I've always liked him for his work ethic and attitude. Eric Staal is a machine (I'm looking forward to the battle against his little brother). And it hasn't always been easy for him but I think Cam Ward is one of the best young goalies out there.

I think series has a lot more potential than the Western final and should be a good one. I also think its interesting the way TSN has taken over the coverage of the playoffs now. It used to be CBC's deal and I don't know why they would have let that revenue escape... but I don't pretend to understand anything about the CBC :p

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well it seems that pittsburg definitely got the jump on the canes, but then it
settled down somewhat, and I still can't predict one over the other.
Hurricanes are getting injured, that could begin to wear on them.

Our western junior team, "Kelowna Rockets" beat the drummonville team today,
so now they have a buy into the final. They still have another game before the
final, but it has no effect on kelowna, only on the team they play, which is the
windsor spitfires, who were the strength of the jr. league all year, and now they
are playing poorly in the memmorial cup tournament.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Well it seems that pittsburg definitely got the jump on the canes, but then it
settled down somewhat, and I still can't predict one over the other.
Hurricanes are getting injured, that could begin to wear on them.

Our western junior team, "Kelowna Rockets" beat the drummonville team today,
so now they have a buy into the final. They still have another game before the
final, but it has no effect on kelowna, only on the team they play, which is the
windsor spitfires, who were the strength of the jr. league all year, and now they
are playing poorly in the memmorial cup tournament.

The main reason that Windsor got past the London Knights is that London's goaltending was even worse than Windsor's. Windsor is now seeing that they are not as "elite" as they may have thought.

Carolina lost Rutuu and Cole to potential knee injuries. Whether or not they will be able to play in the next game is up in the air.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The main reason that Windsor got past the London Knights is that London's goaltending was even worse than Windsor's. Windsor is now seeing that they are not as "elite" as they may have thought.

Carolina lost Rutuu and Cole to potential knee injuries. Whether or not they will be able to play in the next game is up in the air.

It seems the vancouver giants or the calgary hitmen would have been
very competetive in the memorial cup as well.
The giants took kelowna to seven games, and the calgary hit men were
the strength of the west all season, and kelowna managed to get by them
in seven.
I remember the spitfires beating the brampton team 10-1 in their first game,
brampton managed a win one game, and almost a second one, but couldnt' get
by them. I sort of watched how that went because of Cody Hodgson, who
is a canuck draft pick, now he is playing with the moose in the ahl, conference
final coming up, and probably will go to the calder cup finals with them, as they
have won 3 straight against houston aeros.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hurricanes-Penguins Preview

May 21, 2009, 7:30 PM ET

PITTSBURGH (AP) - No team in the Eastern Conference playoffs has found a Crosby stopper, a defensively skilled forward who is effective game after game in slowing Sidney Crosby.
Carolina center Matt Cullen showed flashes of being a shutdown defender against Crosby in Game 1, and the Hurricanes may need a near duplication of that performance if they're to even the conference finals against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday night.
The Cullen line was largely responsible for limiting Crosby to no goals, an assist and two shots during Pittsburgh's 3-2 victory on Monday - about as close as the Penguins' captain has come to being blanketed. Crosby was coming off an eight-goal series against Washington and leads NHL playoff scorers with 22 points.​

More newsIt's A Great Day for Hockey - May 21
Sam Kasan
May 21, 2009, 10:14 AM EDT​

It's a Great Day for Playoff Hockey will be tracking the Penguins' Stanley Cup quest with constant updates throughout the postseason.

12:25 PM:
Here is an update from 'Canes coach Paul Maurice on the status of Erik Cole and Tuomo Ruutu. Cole skated in the morning skate while Ruutu did not.​

"Erik looked like he does in most morning skates and we'll see how he feels when he comes to the rink tonight," Maurice said.​

When a reporter inquired further on Ruutu, Maurice joked:​

"He wasn't quite as noticable in the morning skate."​

But later, Maurice confirmed that Ruutu will also be a game-time decision.
____________________________________________________________________________________​

The delays that are happening in this series, are irritating, and I notice some players
complaining as well, it breaks the flow of the games, as the players want to keep it
going every other day, and too long a wait disrupts the momentum for both teams.
Both teams are dealing with injuries, although Gonchar is playing, he is wearing a
brace, so obviously playing through an injury, and not sure about Cole today, he might
play, but I think Ruutu is out.

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I know its only 2-0 for the Pens, but I think the Canes are in serious trouble. Crosby and Malkin are both lighting them up and the supporting cast is helping out too. Defensively they could be a little better but you can't argue with the results. Eric Staal needs to find a way to get into this series in a hurry for Carolina.

I wonder how the Hawks will do tonight too. They played a good game the other night but Detroit is patient in waiting for mistakes and deadly at capitalizing on them.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If Sir Stanley saw that the hockey play-offs strech into June, he would cry.

If Sir Stanley saw that his League now contains 30 teams, more than half totally undeserving to be there, he'd be rolling in his grave.

If Sir Stanley saw that half of the teams in the Leauge vying for the Cup that bears his name have LOSING record, he would weep.

If Sir Stanley saw that his Cup has been debased as it has, he would come back and refuse to grant the use of his name to something that degenerated to a circus sideshow.

Only in Canada? Pity!!

When was the last Canadian team win the Stanley Cup???

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
YJ, the game last night for the most part was very entertaining. Malkins third goal was brilliant. However, I have to slightly agree with the 'circus sideshow' comment. The dirty display of stickwork towards the end of the game last night was disgusting. I realize spirits are high and Carolina needed to make a point but they should do it on the scoresheet and not by goon tactics. Although some Pittsburgh players were just as guilty towards the end of the game.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
mt_pockets1000, when the NHL, gets rid of the TOTALLY UNNECESSARY fighting, I will be a fun again.

"Throw a punch, you are suspended for the remaining of the season" would be a good start.

Until that happens, I will watch the far more entertaining and less phoney actions of the World Wrestling Entertainment.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If Sir Stanley saw that the hockey play-offs strech into June, he would cry.
The season is now shorter than it was a few years ago.

If Sir Stanley saw that his League now contains 30 teams, more than half totally undeserving to be there, he'd be rolling in his grave.
I agree that some teams don't deserve to be in the cities they are in, but
don't agree re: players. All the players in the league 'now' are better than
they were back then, with the exception of a 'few' super stars, all players
are now athletes, skate better, and player better than before, and don't
spend their 'off' hours in the 'beer parlours' as they were called then, and
getting big guts, if they did that today, they would not be on any team.

If Sir Stanley saw that half of the teams in the Leauge vying for the Cup that bears his name have LOSING record, he would weep.
It would be pitiful if there were only 6 teams in this day, just think of how
many worthy players would never be in the NHL, there wouldn't be room
If Sir Stanley saw that his Cup has been debased as it has, he would come back and refuse to grant the use of his name to something that degenerated to a circus sideshow.
I totally disagree with that analogy.
Only in Canada? Pity!!
If they get rid of that pitiful sideshow named Bettman, some of those teams
could be moved to more deserving cities.
When was the last Canadian team win the Stanley Cup
The parody in the league now is 'good' for hockey, and no team dominates
and keeps all the good players, (since the draft), as before, the canadians
and such, hoarded all the good players for themselves, and any other team
who managed to grab onto young players.That was bad for hockey, and
good for the money grabbing owners, who treated their players poorly and
reaped in the profits for themselves.
The cap system is better too, for the same reason, to make the teams equal
in financial power, when signing players.
There is much more 'good' in the league now, than 'bad', so we shouldn't
twist it around, and make it seem that it was 'better' then, it wasn't.
Thanks to Lord Stanley for donating the cup, it is a grand cup, and is one
of the hardest cups to win, and I think, if he could see the NHL today, he
would be proud of what he started, and amazed at how far it has come.